Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not able to use SWU on Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I have an upcoming trip to Asia and back with lots of segments, but including DFW-HKG and NRT-DFW. The original ticket was discounted Y, and I upfared those two segments only into discounted PE.

Both those segments should also be waitlisted for J upgrades (miles & copay). I confirmed that they were after upfaring each of them.

If I encounter any of the trouble or double talk that OP did regarding these upgrades, I will definitely give AA an earful, and will also report back in this thread. There is no excuse for technical glitches on these upgrades considering the fact that, all other things equal, PE trumps Y in the prioritizarion.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by mcrw00
<snip>
considering the fact that, all other things equal, PE trumps Y in the prioritizarion.
I'm curious where you found this info?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
Granted this is after all the other tie breakers including EQDs, so not likely to ever come into play, but in theory PE trumps Y.
JDiver and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See post 15 above, or follow the link to the active thread. Though, Booking class is probably not the sorting point for most upgrades; status, type of upgrade (within the applicable zone) and EQD will probably handle sorting for most.

Originally Posted by JDiver
As indicated clearly in the Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend thread, upgrade priority is based on

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
  3. Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months

4. Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)

5. Time of request
If an agent tells you you can’t upgrade from PE, HUCA. You can’t upgrade to PE using instruments, and IMO we might hope we will never be able to do so, as that could well be the harbinger of a Y -> PE -> J -> F upgrade path.

As to the rollout of PE, the 772 J45 seem to be the sticky point, though AA hasn’t told us why the big delay.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: CK or bust
See post 15 above, or follow the link to the active thread. Though, Booking class is probably not the sorting point for most upgrades; status, type of upgrade (within the applicable zone) and EQD will probably handle sorting for most.
And perhaps in a dystopian alternate reality:

6. Barclay or Citi card holders

Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by mcrw00
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
Granted this is after all the other tie breakers including EQDs, so not likely to ever come into play, but in theory PE trumps Y.
Right, so I'd guess it never really applies because what are the odds that the EQD are identical for 2 people fighting for an upgrade on the same flight?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, so I'd guess it never really applies because what are the odds that the EQD are identical for 2 people fighting for an upgrade on the same flight?
Well, how many numbers are there between, let's say, 6,000 and 9,000? (That's the EQD that will get you Platinum, putting aside EQMs).

How many Platinum elites are there? Waaaay more than 3,000 I'm sure. So there are probably LOTS of elites with the same number of EQDs at any given point.

Of course the odds that two end up on the same flight is smaller, and the odds that both requested upgrades smaller yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that this situation comes up more than seldom.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I wonder if booking class should be of a higher priority than EQD though. Just to play devil's advocate, I just wonder if it better to treat the "cheap" road warrior "better" than the Kettles that that splurge from time to time. True, the Kettles may or may not have the Status of the Road Warrior, but let's just stay they did. Maybe it's a newbie road warrior enduring the battle!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I wonder if booking class should be of a higher priority than EQD though. Just to play devil's advocate, I just wonder if it better to treat the "cheap" road warrior "better" than the Kettles that that splurge from time to time. True, the Kettles may or may not have the Status of the Road Warrior, but let's just stay they did. Maybe it's a newbie road warrior enduring the battle!
Some might think it should, particularly the road warrior buying last minute tix, but of course AA has studied the issue and chosen EQD metrics as more indicative of passenger value than fare class purchased.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Interesting idea but I for one hope not! I get my EXP by purchasing 100% economy tix, and my upgrades clear about on about 80% of my domestic flights so it works for me!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, how many numbers are there between, let's say, 6,000 and 9,000? (That's the EQD that will get you Platinum, putting aside EQMs).

How many Platinum elites are there? Waaaay more than 3,000 I'm sure. So there are probably LOTS of elites with the same number of EQDs at any given point.

Of course the odds that two end up on the same flight is smaller, and the odds that both requested upgrades smaller yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that this situation comes up more than seldom.
I'm a PLAT and I have 10924 EQD in 2018 year to date, along with another probably 4 - 6k from the last half of 2017.

Also, there aren't anything close to 3000 PLATs on the same flight requesting the same upgrade. Maybe as many as 30 - 50 at most, and that's for a Monday AM PHL-PHX or similar elite heavy route.

So, what are the odds that there are 50 PLATs on the same flight and any two have identical EQDs in the range of 6000 - infinity? That is solvable mathematically, I won't do it here, but I assure you the probability is quite low. (I won't even add the qualifier "a seat is available for upgrade after EXP and PP all have cleared" as that makes the probability approach zero.)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Or, starting from 0, because it is possible to be PLT with no EQD in the previous 12 months
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Quick update.

Since my initial call with AA Customer Service was abbreviated due to another commitment, the rep called back an hour later.

He didn't make much more sense, but said he'd spent the hour checking with other internal groups and the "blame" fell to the LHR team - that they didn't understand the ticketing and what could be upgrade-able. He said that they were 'training' them in the correct process.

Still makes little or no sense to me, as I'd expect more automation - that when I checked in 24 hours ahead, the system automatically put me on the upgrade list, but he implied/stated there was some human intervention in there.

I'm guessing there is an underlying IT issue that was compounded by poorly trained staff.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses

There's ~100MM AAdvantage members. Using #'s from a VFTW article, there should be about 2-3 million AAdvantage elite members. Even if they are all Platinum, and you assume EQD is evenly distributed in that range, then there should be 1000 elite members at every EQD number. But there's also many people above the EQD number but below EQM for ExP, plus comp status/buy-up/credit card waiver people, so your range is really ~4k - 10K. That makes ~500 people at every EQD number. These people aren't evenly distributed, so you can assume they're concentrated at a hub like NYC, DFW, etc. Maybe 100 people going to/from any given hub. Even if they're flying on the same days (Monday/Thursday), it's probably ~20% of ppl on any given day, so 20 ppl per day conflict potential. And then to be on the same flight time to the same places, which is likely another hub.

So overall, I think it's very rare that happens. Because in reality, not every elite member is platinum. According to VFTW, it's probably closer to 25-30% of elite members are platinum, with more than half being Gold. So instead of 3MM platinums, it's closer to 1MM, which means you 1/3rd all our numbers above, so it's like 6 ppl on a day with conflict potential in the best, best case.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I'm a PLAT and I have 10924 EQD in 2018 year to date, along with another probably 4 - 6k from the last half of 2017.

Also, there aren't anything close to 3000 PLATs on the same flight requesting the same upgrade. Maybe as many as 30 - 50 at most, and that's for a Monday AM PHL-PHX or similar elite heavy route.

So, what are the odds that there are 50 PLATs on the same flight and any two have identical EQDs in the range of 6000 - infinity? That is solvable mathematically, I won't do it here, but I assure you the probability is quite low. (I won't even add the qualifier "a seat is available for upgrade after EXP and PP all have cleared" as that makes the probability approach zero.)
The birthday paradox means that the odds of a collision are a lot higher than you initially think. If PLTs were evenly distributed across say 5000 EQDs values, it would only take 84 of them on the same flight for there to be a 50/50 chance of two of them having the same EQD value. On the other hand, if there were only 20 PLTs on each upgrade list, you'd only have a 6% chance of a collision so you'd only expect to see one every 16 or 17 flights, but it would definitely still happen from time to time (but would be the exception rather than the rule.
ijgordon and dciolli like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.