Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Miles towards upgrades - need 627 EQM for 4 500 Mile “stickers”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold

OK, can anyone help me figure out how these are calculated? I'm a LT Platinum whose travel has been curtailed significantly. I'm 627 miles away from earning 4 more upgrade certs and want to make sure that I fly enough this year to earn those upgrades.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:57 am

Fly 627 more miles this year? Seems kinda obvious.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Redhead
OK, can anyone help me figure out how these are calculated? I'm a LT Platinum whose travel has been curtailed significantly. I'm 627 miles away from earning 4 more upgrade certs and want to make sure that I fly enough this year to earn those upgrades.
Minimum EQM you'll earn for domestic flights is 500 miles so book any flight. Per AA -
AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).^ To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
cant you buy the stickers? it does not seem to make sense to do a mileage run to earn the stickers.. if you are flying anyways, wouldnt 6xx miles would be easy to achieve regardless?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
If you end up getting that close but still not earning, call AA sometimes they will give you 2-3 as a courtesy.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If you search you will find reports of people who were just shy of upgrade stickers getting most of them (2,3) by asking nicely at the end of the year. after the window closes. So I would expect you probably would get three of them if you are that close.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I don't seem to be getting 500 miles per flight towards upgrades. I know that is EQM minimum and I am getting those towards status (though I'll never earn Plt again, thank goodness for lifetime status, keeps me loyal) but it seems like the miles towards upgrades is calculated differently. I won't be doing a mileage run for the stickers and could just buy them. I just can't figure out the calculation with the new earn rate. I'm sure I'll earn them since I will likely have a RDU-HOU flight this year and likely one to NYC. But I hate the new earn program, makes my spreadsheet harder to manage
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
As far as I can tell, EQM is just the actual distance flown, with a guaranteed minimum of 500 miles. There are multipliers that can increase or decrease the EQM earned based on booking class (0.5x for basic econ, 2x for J, etc.). But for most economy flights the EQM is equal to the mileage between the cities.

AA.com spells out the earning classes when you look at earning miles flying on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.