Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed - assault on AA flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I believe the unprovoked attack by the bully upon my friend should be recorded in the files of AA and any other appropriate agency.
I'm just not sure what kinds of "files" you think AA keeps on its passengers, or why someone could have something added to said "files" based on an unconfirmed, secondhand anecdote.

Agree with JDiver's suggestion above -- if your friend wants to pursue any actions through the courts or government authorities, he should seek advice from appropriate legal counsel. But from what you've described, he probably wouldn't consider it worth the time or expense.
ijgordon and cruisr like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

-
I don't understand the conclusion, based on one data point, that the supposed bully picks on elderly people. For all we know, this bully goes after victims based on their eye color, accent, height, or whatever.

You wrote "people" which is not what I wrote. I wrote - the bully attacked one person, my friend who is in his eighties.

It just so happened it was convenient for the bully to attack my friend as my friend tried to pass the bully who was blocking the aisle. There were no other senior citizens in business as old as my friend that the bully could mistreat.

During many episodes of the bully blocking the aisle, several young people passed by the aisle and the bully graciously allowed them to pass him. But, when my friend tried to pass the bully, my friend got elbowed and further blocked from passing through the aisle.

The other attributes you mentioned are irrelevant such as " eye color, accent, height, or whatever."

What does that have to do with attacking a senior citizen who was trying to get past the bully who was blocking the aisle?

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jul 9, 2018 at 9:20 pm Reason: sentence clarity
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What does that have to do with attacking a senior citizen who was trying to get past the bully who was blocking the aisle?
well - you have , it seems, that there is no evidence that this person was picking on elderly people , just that your friend alleges that he was assaulted by him

How do you know whether this person was a "bully" given that you were not even there - all that seems to be the case is that it is alleged that he got hit by an elbow

I cannot see what there is to do now - I cannot see that even if bruised, that would be able to show that the bruise came from that incident ; if your friend was really concerned, then he needed to properly get it investigated at the time ; anything not would be "he says , he says"
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks for some good answers and for some not so good answers.

I will advise my friend accordingly.

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jul 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: responses after I thought the thread would close
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:29 pm

I'd consult an attorney and find out if the subpoena power could be used to identify the individual. Then I'd consider suing him for assault.

It's not about winning compensation or retribution. It's about imposing a cost--any kind of cost (even just the hassle of the perp having to talk to the police or having to respond to a small claims case).

A good rule to live by: never let anyone punk you. You can't win every fight, but you should never go down without throwing a punch.
dgcpaphd likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobo411

I'd consult an attorney and find out if the subpoena power could be used to identify the individual. Then I'd consider suing him for assault.

It's not about winning compensation or retribution. It's about imposing a cost--any kind of cost (even just the hassle of the perp having to talk to the police or having to respond to a small claims case).

A good rule to live by: never let anyone punk you. You can't win every fight, but you should never go down without throwing a punch.
What an exemplary idea and philosophical proverb.

If my friend can get the legal system to compel the bully to answer for his behavior to the police or courts, that might stop the bully from future aggressive behavior against other senior citizens (or any passenger, for that matter).

I will forward your post to my friend.

I am confident he will agree with you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What he is looking for is to have AA enter this incident in the bully's file with AA. That way, if the bully abuses another elderly person aboard their aircraft in the future, the bully will not be allowed to fly.
This sounds like a principal saying something will go on your "permanent record".

Charges of assault go to law enforcement. That's not AA. With no record of the event, and the person choosing not to have anyone create any record of the event, I'm going to say there's not much LEO/AA is going to do. A picture of a bruise likely won't be sufficient evidence to prosecute.

I suspect the "cost of any kind" will just end up with the passenger. But let us know what retribution and vengeance he may smite upon his attacker.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect the "cost of any kind" will just end up with the passenger.
+1

If my friend can get the legal system to compel the bully to answer for his behavior to the police or courts, that might stop the bully from future aggressive behavior against other senior citizens (or any passenger, for that matter).

I will forward your post to my friend.
What happens if your friend acts on your legal advice and ultimately loses (in the process spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars)?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

This sounds like a principal saying something will go on your "permanent record".

Charges of assault go to law enforcement. That's not AA. With no record of the event, and the person choosing not to have anyone create any record of the event, I'm going to say there's not much LEO/AA is going to do. A picture of a bruise likely won't be sufficient evidence to prosecute.

I suspect the "cost of any kind" will just end up with the passenger. But let us know what retribution and vengeance he may smite upon his attacker.
You wrote "and the person choosing not to have anyone create any record of the event"

If you go back over what I wrote, I said, that my friend told two flight attendants about the incident. One flight attendant offered to prepare a formal complaint and the second flight attendant asked my friend if he wanted to change his seat away from the bully. My friend declined the formal complaint. He also declined the offer for a distant seat because it was close to landing time when the incident occurred
My friend said that one flight attendant said she would honor my friend's request not to make a formal complaint but that she would make a comment in the flight record about the incident.

Thus, there are two flight attendants who can confirm my friend's complaint plus whatever was written in the flight log.

My friend believes there is a good possibility that other passengers might have heard the bully yelling his denials after he was approached by one of the flight attendants for his improper behavior.

"But let us know what retribution and vengeance he may smite upon his attacker." My friend is not looking for revenge as was fully disclosed in preceding posts. Smiting was done by the bully, not by my friend. Was your highlighted remark necessary?

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jul 8, 2018 at 5:39 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy
+1

What happens if your friend acts on your legal advice and ultimately loses (in the process spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars)?
My friend asked my advice as a a friend, not as a lawyer.

"What happens if your friend acts on your legal advice and ultimately loses (in the process spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars)?"

My friend is old and he is rich.

He has outlived his wife and only child.

He will not outlive his money.

Therefore, if he wants to spend some of his money pursuing an injustice such as what happened to him on his flight, I say, good for him.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sorry OP but it’s too late now. That ship has sailed.
Yup just like for the Harvey Weinstein victims.

FFS, what is wrong with some people???

At least there was some reasonable advice in this thread for a challenging situation.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'd get the bully's name and file a police report on him.
dgcpaphd likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This sounds like a principal saying something will go on your "permanent record.
Wow, “permanent record” that brought back memories. I can’t believe I actually believed the people who told me that detentions would go on my permanent record. Where the heck are those permanent records. Its been so long since i was in school mine are probably in the National Archives.

OP I am sorry about what hapoened to your friend but the time to confront the bully would have been when something could be done, even a simple incident report, but not now. Please reassure your friend that an airline would not cancel a return ticket for reporting this incident, or even for complaining. If they did half of FT would be on unintentional one way flights.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'd get the bully's name and file a police report on him.
How would you do that short of filing a lawsuit and getting a subpoena to get the passenger list from AA? I’m not arguing for or against, just curious how you would do that. AA would certainly not release that information to OP’s friend without legal intervention.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by cruisr

How would you do that short of filing a lawsuit and getting a subpoena to get the passenger list from AA? I’m not arguing for or against, just curious how you would do that. AA would certainly not release that information to OP’s friend without legal intervention.
I would send a legal demand letter to AA, demanding the person’s name, and let AA know that there will be legal action unless the name is given. This would take “legal intervention” (having a lawyer send the letter), but it would be only about an hour of work by a lawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.