Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation on new domestic flat-bed AA routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

A number of other carriers (i.e. JetBlue, Delta) now offer flat-bed service on routes aside from JFK-SFO/LAX. I have heard that AA is thinking of outfitting old 757s for domestic routes with flat-bed service. Any speculation on which routes they might start offering this from? I am interested in JFK-LAS, which has beds on Delta/JetBlue but not with AA.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
A number of other carriers (i.e. JetBlue, Delta) now offer flat-bed service on routes aside from JFK-SFO/LAX. I have heard that AA is thinking of outfitting old 757s for domestic routes with flat-bed service. Any speculation on which routes they might start offering this from? I am interested in JFK-LAS, which has beds on Delta/JetBlue but not with AA.
There will be no outfitting of old 757s with flat beds. The 75Ls already have flat beds. The question is if/when they’ll put them on transcon routes.
JonNYC, Antarius and enpremiere like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have heard that AA is thinking of outfitting old 757s for domestic routes with flat-bed service.
Where, may I ask? It seems pretty implausible to me.

The A321Ts are a very premium config that would be tough to justify but on a very few domestic routes.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Where, may I ask?
See here and here.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Where, may I ask? It seems pretty implausible to me.

The A321Ts are a very premium config that would be tough to justify but on a very few domestic routes.
The 75Ls already have flat beds. These may be deployed domestically, AA has stated they are looking at it.

The 321T isn't in the works to be deployed elsewhere. Atleast not that I have read/seen.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage
There is more discussion of this here
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
JFK-LAS
The chances AA puts flat beds on JFK-LAS in the near term is zero IMO.

If this happens, the routes that will get it are probably LAX-BOS/DCA, JFK-SAN/SEA, and maybe MIA-LAX if they have frames to spare.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DWFI

If this happens, the routes that will get it are probably BOS-LAX, JFK-SAN/SEA, and maybe MIA-LAX if they have frames to spare.
Thanks for the feedback. Your assumption seems sound. Ah well!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:28 am

it would be nice to get a layflat on some of the longer redeye flights out of SFO
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

If this happens, the routes that will get it are probably LAX-BOS/DCA, JFK-SAN/SEA, and maybe MIA-LAX if they have frames to spare.
If LAX-DCA means anything, it is much more likely AA puts a 737-MAX config on those routes than a 75L.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think they should put some of the layflat equipment on their PHX-Hawaii routes.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
If LAX-DCA means anything, it is much more likely AA puts a 737-MAX config on those routes than a 75L.
AA already has the MAX scheduled on DCA-LAX.

But I think they are feeling yield weakness in the front cabin from DL's Delta One service and it would be a good contender.

vs LAX/SFO/SEA-PHL/CLT are fortress routes that likely won't be seeing lie flats anytime soon with the exception of the sparse widebody service to feed TATL (i.e. the winter A332 PHL-SFO/LAX services, once daily). That's why I think LAX-MIA is also unlikely - the money is there, but absent any competition (and I'm not sure B6 2x daily LAXFLL constitutes real competition), AA probably won't bother).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
That's why I think LAX-MIA is also unlikely - the money is there, but absent any competition (and I'm not sure B6 2x daily LAXFLL constitutes real competition), AA probably won't bother).
FWIW, the once-daily B772 on this route seems to have enough lie-flat capacity to satisfy the demand.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
EWR-LAS also has 2 flights a day with flat beds. It started when Mint was announced.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

AA already has the MAX scheduled on DCA-LAX.

But I think they are feeling yield weakness in the front cabin from DL's Delta One service and it would be a good contender.

vs LAX/SFO/SEA-PHL/CLT are fortress routes that likely won't be seeing lie flats anytime soon with the exception of the sparse widebody service to feed TATL (i.e. the winter A332 PHL-SFO/LAX services, once daily). That's why I think LAX-MIA is also unlikely - the money is there, but absent any competition (and I'm not sure B6 2x daily LAXFLL constitutes real competition), AA probably won't bother).
PHL-LAX/SFO have both pretty much had a daily wide body for the past 4 and 7 months respectively. Hardly sparse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.