Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Possible effects of China-Taiwan name dispute on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdavantage Member

Was curious about the thoughts of y’all when it comes to how Chinese authorities could react if American doesn’t change how it’s displayed on their website etc. I imagine they could wreak havoc on flights to PEK and PVG, but what about HKG? I have a flight connect through HKG in August and would hate to have it affected by all of this posturing,
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the boffins at AA have a brain, they’ll have “Taiwa, China” on the hinese wep Pages, and leave the others as is. JL and NH seem to have done this and it appears to have stuck.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NOTE: this topic may be discussed here only in regards to how this issue might or might not AA.

Political discussion about which nomenclature is correct / incorrect and why, etc. will be summarily deleted.

Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

I just don’t want to have AA125 canceled cause of this nonsense and figure out if AA will rebook Cathay or JAL.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It won't affect AA at all.

1. As a local airline (and partially owned by CA), CX does not fully comply with this.

2. Without drawing the first blood, the PRC Government's policy is practically meaningless.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I had no idea what specifically this thread was about and couldn’t find much news that seemed relevant. Is it this, that the Peoples’ Republic of China government is threatening airlines over the nomenclature on menus in in flight maps that suggest that Taiwan, Hong King, and Macau are not fully part of China?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes that. It was also on FT’s front page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.