Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seasonal / holiday cancellations / flight reductions 2018 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanksgiving holiday 2018 TATL cancellations

My LHR-PHL flight on 11/24 has been cancelled. Seems all AA flights departing from PHL and ORD to LHR are cancelled on 11/23 so return flights from LHR on 11/24 also cancelled.
Another thread mentions no AA flights between LAX and LHR those days.
AA were very accommodating on the rebooking.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gcuk
My LHR-PHL flight on 11/24 has been cancelled. Seems all AA flights departing from PHL and ORD to LHR are cancelled on 11/23 so return flights from LHR on 11/24 also cancelled.
Another thread mentions no AA flights between LAX and LHR those days.
AA were very accommodating on the rebooking.
Happens every year, AA always runs a very limited TATL schedule Thanksgiving week. The frustrating part is they always load a full schedule in advance, and then just like clockwork, a number of the flights that week get axed every year around this time.

Seasonal / holiday cancellations / flight reductions 2017 (master thd)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You're the second person now to post that there are some schedule changes on TATL during Thanksgiving. We'll see how this all shakes out.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the information JJeffrey.
Good to know as I like the AA J product, particularly on the westbound services, so was disappointed to have LHR-PHL cancelled. I was rerouted via MIA on the 777-300 service but the connection onto a 738 only got me to PHL at 10.33pm instead of 1.30pm, so after a quick call to the helpful agent in Trinidad, AA switched me to the BA direct service.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

How to check if a future flight was canceled or changed?

I was looking for PHX-JFK on AA on Sunday 11/25 at 12.30AM.
I could have sworn it was there, and even saw it in my history on kayak.com.
Was getting ready to book it as it fit my schedule absolutely perfectly and was pretty cheap...but got distracted and planned to do it later.
Now it's not available for that day, but it is for other days as AA2651.

Is there a way to check if this was a scheduled flight but was canceled, and may reappear for that day, or is it gone for good?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stevento
I was looking for PHX-JFK on AA on Sunday 11/25 at 12.30AM.
I could have sworn it was there, and even saw it in my history on kayak.com.
Was getting ready to book it as it fit my schedule absolutely perfectly and was pretty cheap...but got distracted and planned to do it later.
Now it's not available for that day, but it is for other days as AA2651.

Is there a way to check if this was a scheduled flight but was canceled, and may reappear for that day, or is it gone for good?
The answer is: Every year on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas days, AA cancels a number of flights tomreduce capacity on historically very low demand days. It’s gone for good on that dsy, at least this year.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As part of an AA Vacation deal, on 11/21 I'm flying JFK-LHR (AA100)-ZRH (BA); on 11/26 ZRH-LHR(BA)-JFK (AA101) so far the AAs are still running. Several side issues crop up:
(1)Per AA Vacations (and legalize of rules) if AA were to cancel I'm still responsible for hotel fees, the cc I used has some protection (maybe)
(2)If flts were cancelled I could be rebooked on BA. I'm hoping to use SWUs (J is nearly empty now), so if I cleared from Y to BC before a cancellation I should fly in BC on BA, but since SWUs don't work directly on BA, I'd be in "trouble" if cancellation came before the upgrade.
(3)It would be "nasty" of AA to cancel a few days before my flts...there may be no seats left on BA--would AA be so "nasty"?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The answer is: Every year on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas days, AA cancels a number of flights tomreduce capacity on historically very low demand days. It’s gone for good on that dsy, at least this year.
thanks!
are they done canceling?
I got screwed last yr with AA canceling the second leg of MGA-MIA-LGA flight after everything was booked. A quick hop became a long layover and an expensive cab ride.
Don't want to book again and have a repeat...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
As part of an AA Vacation deal, on 11/21 I'm flying JFK-LHR (AA100)-ZRH (BA); on 11/26 ZRH-LHR(BA)-JFK (AA101) so far the AAs are still running. Several side issues crop up:
(1)Per AA Vacations (and legalize of rules) if AA were to cancel I'm still responsible for hotel fees, the cc I used has some protection (maybe)
(2)If flts were cancelled I could be rebooked on BA. I'm hoping to use SWUs (J is nearly empty now), so if I cleared from Y to BC before a cancellation I should fly in BC on BA, but since SWUs don't work directly on BA, I'd be in "trouble" if cancellation came before the upgrade.
(3)It would be "nasty" of AA to cancel a few days before my flts...there may be no seats left on BA--would AA be so "nasty"?
CC usually does not offer protection when it is a schedule change...only in case of weather delays.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nrr
Most all of the European Thanksgiving flight reductions have already been loaded into the schedules. Not to say that there couldn't be further reductions next month, but I wouldn't be worried about a cancellation of JFK-LHR at all, AA typically keeps most of the core hub to LHR routes in place as there is still enough traffic to support these. It's the secondary markets like MAD, CDG, FRA, MXP, etc. that see the flights reduced during Thanksgiving week.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
When will they start cancelling the Xmas flights? Anyone know if they cancelled lax-lhr on Xmas day in 2017?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Schedule changes for Christmas dates?

Wondering based on past experiences what are the chances of AA changing flight schedules for the Christmas timeframe Dec 20 - Dec 26th ish?

I just booked a multi-leg trip and wouldn’t mind some flight changes that would give me the opportunity to adjust some of the flights.

I’m not sure if they’ve already made the changes they plan for that timeframe or if it’s still to come?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not sure if AA works holiday weekends, but keep your eyes peeled this Saturday night/Sunday morning for December schedule changes.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I know they've made at least one decent sized change to the Xmas schedule. I had a Xmas day TPA-ORD flight cancelled and moved to one 7 hours earlier.

Here's the link to the existing holiday schedule change thread. I'd keep your eyes peeled there for any updates:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.