Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CLT the new ORD (must avoid airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thedeeg

I echo this.

Personally, with the possible exception of TXL or SXF, LGA has to be my least favourite Airport globally. I’ll actively avoid and pay more to avoid it (on my own dime).

The place is inadequate in every single way. To put it nicely.

I typically avoid LGA, but on a unexpected connection last month at LGA had a different experience. Arrived at lunch time, and had a burger at what I believed was Sam Adams mini bar (travel a lot and am getting old- so memory may be off). I think the burger was microwaved, but not sure.

What did surprise me was the amount of cologne men were wearing..... but even more so were men sporting very loud suits. I suspect many of these colorful suits will be purchased by aspiring clowns at Goodwill a few years from now...... I don't even think Don Cherry would wear the loud suits I saw men wearing at noon on a Wednesday at LGA.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Jun 17, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by beachmouse
If your local airport options means you'll end up dealing with the E gates, it's decidedly underwhelming. The E Experience leaves me quite puzzled why Charlotte ranks higher on the customer service surveys than the genuinely lovely Detroit Metro. (But then I'll admit to not being a fan of American's east coast hub options in general)
DTW's RJ terminal is lightyears ahead of even some mainline terminals, CLT's B/C terminals included.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
.... The construction in B earlier this year (is it still going on?) doesn't help.
Yes, and at the pace of the construction, I forsee it lasting at least 6 more months.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:29 am

The problem with CLT is you've got people with long connections strolling around getting in the way of people trying to run up one terminal and then down another to make a tight connection.

This is America, we drive on the right...the left lane is for speeders....why can't people walk that way? I've literally pushed people out of my way because they are standing around chatting in the middle of the walkway.

Between DFW, ORD, PHL, etc, I'll take DFW.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:37 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I'd take CLT over ORD any day of the week, narrow concourses and all. I will say there aren't many hotels right around the airport when things go south (as in this weekend's PSA meltdown) but there are plenty in uptown, which isn't far.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Clt > lga, ewr
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

I’d also say pretty much every Airport in the states has exactly the same issue as CLT. Too many people and not enough space.

I can only really think of certain parts of T5 of LHR where there is anything approaching adequate seating / space for a flight full of people waiting to board.

DFW is badly designed, hub and spoke with restaurants being the hub and the gates the spoke mean i’m Never sure if i’m In the boarding queue or the dunking donuts queue.

CLT has the same problem of not enough seats, but at least the concessions don’t bleed into the boarding areas.

Some of the concession staff are beyond rude though, particularly (IME) the bagel place in C concourse.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thedeeg
DFW is badly designed, hub and spoke with restaurants being the hub and the gates the spoke mean i’m Never sure if i’m In the boarding queue or the dunking donuts queue.
While DFW is narrower than I would like, IMO, it is one of the best airports in the world to connect in. 10 minutes from any gate to any gate (except B1-3)
controller1 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
The only reason I avoid this and PHL is due to the US Airways planes still being run by AA. When flying in J for work, it's always disappointing to pay $1-2k for a flight on a plane that makes you wish you'd connected through DFW and at least enjoyed a better seat.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
CLT. Incredibly crowded Admirals Clubs with no showers available and no Flagship lounge. Surly and angry gate agents. The "fast" food places (Chick-fil-a and Panda Express) always have 30 mins lines. Cramped corridors with too many people and no space to breath. And way too many gate lice. Yeah it's not pleasant but I've grown to like it over ORD since I haven't had any IRROPs connecting through there yet. While for me ORD was problematic around 1/4 of time.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by muishkin
CLT. Incredibly crowded Admirals Clubs with no showers available and no Flagship lounge. Surly and angry gate agents. The "fast" food places (Chick-fil-a and Panda Express) always have 30 mins lines. Cramped corridors with too many people and no space to breath. And way too many gate lice. Yeah it's not pleasant but I've grown to like it over ORD since I haven't had any IRROPs connecting through there yet. While for me ORD was problematic around 1/4 of time.
The B gate AC has the ambiance of a Greyhound Bus Terminal; the AC for D gates has high ceilings and the several times I visited it was not crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.