Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does Free Alcohol in MCE Decrease the Value of Gold Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I see the complimentary access to MCE within 24 hours of the flight as the greatest benefit of Gold status.

Now that MCE includes free alcohol, I wonder if more people will buy up to MCE and decrease chances of a Gold member getting a free MCE seat within 24 hours of the flight. Thoughts?
Old May 29, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Unlikely. It is not unlimited alcohol. Maybe just one free drink, like CK and EXP gets in coach.
E55 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
Unlikely. It is not unlimited alcohol. Maybe just one free drink, like CK and EXP gets in coach.
Ah, I didn't know it was just one free drink. Thanks!
Old May 29, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
It has also been reported that the seats are getting more expensive, for buy ups. Arguably you're getting more valuable benefits as a gold member, because you will now be eligible to get a free drink if main cabin extra seats are available within 24 hours.
jhartvu and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Ah, I didn't know it was just one free drink. Thanks!
I haven't seen it reported anywhere that it's just one free drink. AA's release says as "Complimentary beer, wine, and spirits," which makes me believe that you can get a drink on each beverage service.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
MCE is still pretty pricey on long hauls. Maybe a few more people will buy up on shorter flights, especially if they're gold already - it can be as low as $10-15 on shorter flights, so if you have a drink every time you fly that makes it a good deal. Personally I can remember the last time I paid for alcohol when I was alone (I drink in the lounge and when I'm gambling and sometimes in F), so I can't personally identify.
E55 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I haven't seen it reported anywhere that it's just one free drink. AA's release says as "Complimentary beer, wine, and spirits," which makes me believe that you can get a drink on each beverage service.
so one?
econometrics likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
so one?
For the manority of flights, pretty much. Call button?
Old May 29, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Antarius
so one?
ha. there's also a button over your head with a pic of a person offering a beverage. You can probably push that for a drink (assuming the Credit Card Saleswoman cares enough to stop texting and offer a beverage).
apeortdz and IAHtraveler like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Sometimes the FA will give a CK/EXP two instead of one drink. Others go strictly by the limit of one.

If it is more than one drink - then I suspect a CK/EXP in MCE would get more than one. They may give you two - but I doubt they would give you 4 or 5. Likely what was said above - a drink per cart service. Some people ask for a double, maybe they would accommodate that - but we will see. Probably more up to the FA working at the time.
E55 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Only 13% of AA passengers fly more than once per year. My guess is that the 87% percent of passengers are deciding if they want to cross the hurdle between Basic Economy which is anywhere from $10-$300, will not be down for another $10-$40 at that point. It seems like a move to scrape a few extra bucks from business passengers that are not yet elite; however, every job that I've had wont even let me expense extra leg room seats, so in the end, it should be ok for Gold folks.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I am retiring this year and will not hit ExPlat this year and become a leisure traveler from now on.

I have 3 million miles on AA and this is good news for my wife and myself.

As a permanent Platinum I always get to book a MCE seat on my trips.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
No. I think the implication here is that it will make more people buy MCE, which will reduce availability at T-24. But this ignores the fact that MCE seats often come open just before T-24 as higher level elites (who selected MCE at time of booking) get upgraded.

Plus it increases the value of "free MCE at T-24", which is a Gold benefit.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No. It adds a benefit to MCE pax with no harm to anyone else, whether they bought up (people who are driven by cost will snatch BE) or status.
adunker likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
No. It adds a benefit to MCE pax with no harm to anyone else, whether they bought up (people who are driven by cost will snatch BE) or status.
I disagree. It decreases the perceived value of EXP status, because now anyone in mce gets a free drink. I mean I guess I still get a free snack...

Hopefully they let exp have free sparkling or something, if they're going to charge extra for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.