Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lengthy domestic connections now permitted to/from more cities on AA award travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lengthy domestic connections now permitted to/from more cities on AA award travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Searching for award travel on June 14 from several upstate NY cities (BUF, SYR, ITH) to MEM, aa.com is offering me some connections that exceed four hours.

I know that there was a list of some smaller AA stations to/from which 18-hour connections were permitted on domestic itineraries, but none of the above cities appeared on that list. Has the list of such cities been expanded, or is this a temporary aa.com glitch?
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Brendan likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by guv1976
Searching for award travel on June 14 from several upstate NY cities (BUF, SYR, ITH) to MEM, aa.com is offering me some connections that exceed four hours.

I know that there was a list of some smaller AA stations to/from which 18-hour connections were permitted on domestic itineraries, but none of the above cities appeared on that list. Has the list of such cities been expanded, or is this a temporary aa.com glitch?
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

I've noticed exactly the same thing on a few recent award searches. Most recently today looking for a RDU-LAX award. I've also been given domestic itineraries with overnight connections that are far from being the last in first out options.

Brendan likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Anything in the domestic C of C (I looked and didn't find it) or award fare rules? JJeffrey's example certainly isn't next scheduled flight.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I've noticed the same as well, 12hr layover, yikes. Funny how when you look for a paid travel, none of them come up.
\
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yep, being discussed in a couple of places. 9 hour layover in JFK after a red eye,,,,
Brendan likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:38 am

This is pretty typical for award flights, they give you terrible connections that don't make logistical sense. The worst are the ones where you get in to one city at 8pm and then fly out at 6am, or a 5 hour layover where you you're just on the edge of having enough time to leave the airport but not wanting to chance it.

I did actually book one of these, fly into Miami in the afternoon, spend the evening downtown, and then fly out the next morning.
Brendan and Daniel Solis like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When I've looked for international award flights over the last 3-4 summers, it's often been difficult to find anything that's not a ridiculously long layover. Last summer we flew LIM-MIA and watched 2-3 flights leave that could have had us home that evening before giving up and flying the next morning, as booked. IME, the 4 hour maximum rule has never applied - maybe because it's international.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
When I've looked for international award flights over the last 3-4 summers, it's often been difficult to find anything that's not a ridiculously long layover. Last summer we flew LIM-MIA and watched 2-3 flights leave that could have had us home that evening before giving up and flying the next morning, as booked. IME, the 4 hour maximum rule has never applied - maybe because it's international.
International awards have always allowed connections up to 24 hrs.

With a few exceptions, domestic awards have always required connections be 4 hrs or less. Up until now, it appears.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: All
AAdvantage domestic award illegal connections

its a mess! Look closer. My domestic award searches are turning up with illegal connection times and pricing out at two award tickets. Double the cost 12,500+12,500 and $11.20 fees.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, Marriott Rewards
What markets aren't pricing correctly?
Old May 23, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3LeftTurns
its a mess! Look closer. My domestic award searches are turning up with illegal connection times and pricing out at two award tickets. Double the cost 12,500+12,500 and $11.20 fees.
If you are using the multi-city search then aa.com automatically prices each segment separately even if it should be a single award. You have to put the flights on hold then call AA to have it priced correctly.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I'm glad to have the opportunity to book it and grab one of my 2 desired flights, then hope the other desired flight becomes available for MileSaver (no-fee change.) Also, from Victoria BC (YYJ) to SEA, the last (AS) flight of the day was at 3:xx PM, so the old system would not connect it to an ~11 PM red-eye to DFW or ORD or CLT. It forced an evening flight to LAS/ LAX/ PHX, THEN a red-eye onward! Yuk!
Old May 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here's the one I found that made me shudder....

Old May 23, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: All
I have done this trip many many many times over the years and only this week has the search engine provided illegal connection times

10+ hour connection in PDX?

And this provides 2 tickets for $11.20 fee.

What changed this week with the award search engine?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
International awards have always allowed connections up to 24 hrs.

With a few exceptions, domestic awards have always required connections be 4 hrs or less. Up until now, it appears.
Perhaps a title change is needed then - "AA domestic award travel"? Because to me, flying through Miami is a "domestic connection" on "AA award travel".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.