Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: superweak
NOTE: AA offers power points to most seats (some may be shared by two adjacent seats); while AA are moving to 110 VAC standard “Universal” (two blade US, Euro and UK) outlets, with 5 VDC low output USB outlets. The few remaining MD-80 aircraft still have "cigarette lighter" style outlets with ~15 VDC. LUS narrowbodied aircraft are generally do not offer seat power, though it will be retrofitted under Project Oasis, though the goal is to have this finalized in 2021.

Most of our planes have AC power outlets; those with DC power are being converted. If you need, we have DC-to-AC adaptors available on select flights in First or Business. Simply ask your flight attendant for an adaptor.
See what power is available on our planes. Link (only general information: power yes or power no).

Power outlet types and power provided (See post no. 1 for illustrations and further information.)

B]Multi: Universal 110 AC power outlet combined with 5 VDC 1.0 amp USB

"Each set of outlets in a row can provide up to 225 watts of power, combined, with a maximum of 150 watts per plug. If one device is pulling its maximum allotment, this leaves only 75 watts for the second plug, meaning there are times where there may not be enough power to run 2 devices."
15 VDC: Cigar lighter plug with 75 watts capacity.

These may be sufficient to power your device, albeit without charging; drawing over 75 watts will generally cause the power to trip off.
American Airlines mainline aircraft and power outlet types

• A319 (LAA): Multi
• A319 (LUS): Multi
• A320: Multi on 1/2 of fleet, NO power on others
• A321T, A321H, A321S (LAA “32B”): Multi
• A321 (LUS): Currently, NO power
• A330-200: Multi
• A330-300: Multi
• 737, 737 MAX 8: Multi
• 757L International (LAA): Multi in J, MCE
• 757 MCE retrofit (LUS, Hawaii service): Currently, NO power
• 767 retrofit: J Multi, MCE 15 VDC
• 787-8: Multi
• 787-9: Multi
• 777-200: Multi
• 777-300: Multi
• E190: NO
• MD-80: 15 VDC 70 watt cigarette lighter style power ports between seats

Resources:

Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to aa.com page with links to each aircraft's powerport status

Link to SeatGuru - seat charts show show powerport locations (but note SeatGuru has some seat chart reliability issues)

• Related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2019-21-a.html

Link to Travel Technology Forum: The In Flight Power Knowledge Compendium

• Previous posts (2012-2017) can be found in ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

• Older posts than that can be found in Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA (Archived)
Print Wikipost

Guide to AA Inflight Power in 2018-2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
The BA 777 I flew on Sunday had the ground pin UP. On future flights, I'll kindly request that they please fly the plane upside-down, so that the plug will look more normal to their American passengers. It's a reasonable request.
And, we insist UK switches driving to the right side of the road, because right is right, and left is not right.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
The main issue is if there is a leak in the main positive side of the power line and it leaks with the ground on the bottom it will hit it and short out. If the ground is on the top all the juice will just leak out and fall on the floor. Unless your legs are under it then you may have a problem Houston.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PLAT MM SC Lifetime
Smile Nice!

Originally Posted by dm6214
The main issue is if there is a leak in the main positive side of the power line and it leaks with the ground on the bottom it will hit it and short out. If the ground is on the top all the juice will just leak out and fall on the floor. Unless your legs are under it then you may have a problem Houston.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:20 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dm6214
If the pilot flies the airplane exactly level, wouldn't the leaking juice flow to either side of the ground wire? A recent study was published on the internet (which automatically proves that it's true) and shows that in all of the leaking juice incidents, the plane was not actually flying 100% level.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
I may have been mistaken. When I was working I only dealt with low voltages so that would have to be true. It is on the internet.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: American Platinum
Power Ports on American Boeing 787

I'm flying with the big dogs in Business Class on a 15 hour flight from DFW to Shanghai. American shows the plane to be a "789-Boeing 787". I have a large laptop that requires a lot of juice, and the last time I tried to use it with a power port on a flight this long, it powered out after a few hours because there wasn't enough power to keep the battery charged.

I haven't tried this in several years, and I know the Boeing 787 is a relatively recent addition to American's fleet. Does anyone know if what they've got on these planes is an improvement over the old power ports? Or should I be prepared to just use the laptop for a few hours before it conks out, like my past experiences? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Jethro123
I'm flying with the big dogs in Business Class on a 15 hour flight from DFW to Shanghai. American shows the plane to be a "789-Boeing 787". I have a large laptop that requires a lot of juice, and the last time I tried to use it with a power port on a flight this long, it powered out after a few hours because there wasn't enough power to keep the battery charged.

I haven't tried this in several years, and I know the Boeing 787 is a relatively recent addition to American's fleet. Does anyone know if what they've got on these planes is an improvement over the old power ports? Or should I be prepared to just use the laptop for a few hours before it conks out, like my past experiences? Thanks!
I haven't had problems using the powerports the whole flight for my laptop and the second one for my iphone on LAX-PEK (788); PVG; and NRT/HND (789s) flights this year.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Depends on the wattage of the power supply. In the past Apple Macbooks (before the Pro) were drawing too much power for AA seats to supply anything at all, as they'd trip the breaker.

The wattage is written on the power adapter. If it's over 75W there may be a problem. Though there is a post on Flyertalk that says the 787 and others have 225W shared between a pair of seats.

Power available regardless, on many airline seats the two prongs of many power supplies often barely connect or fall out. Buy a 6" three prong extension and you will find on many seats the three prong male plug will get a better connection with the seat and the new three prong jack will hold the (typically) two prong plug from the power supply more snugly. This is particularly for Apple MacBook Pros unless you use the overly long three prong cord Apple supplies.

The large-ish UK style 3 prong to American style adapters sometimes work fairly well but they tend to be so large there may be obstructions.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Please see the first post for further information. We have merged your query into the existing thread.

Old May 2, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have a large laptop that requires a lot of juice...
What do you have? Alienware (Dell)?
Old May 3, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

I had a laptop that sucked juice. A trick I found when power was running low or at meal time, was to power down and let the system charge. The lower draw for charging was under the 75W supply. I also found a lower wattage power power supply (iGo?) that was able to keep the system running on long flights.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: American Platinum
Thanks for the tip Roger, that's a good idea. Gary, It is a Dell, a monster machine with 17" screen.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:35 pm

Thanks for the tip Roger, that's a good idea. Gary, It is a Dell, a monster machine with 17" screen.
Never regretted the day I gave up a giant laptop for a much smaller one. Soooo much easier to travel with.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by kwguy77
I had that issue on a flight a few weeks ago. Everyone had power except for my row. The light on the outlet was red and not green. Right before we landed, it turned green. I know I was flying to Florida, just don't know which city. The FAs were no help.
I had a similar experience yesterday. On a 77W I had USB power but the a/c outlet had a red light on (regardless of whether anything was plugged in). The FA wasn't sure what it meant, the purser wasn't sure either and suggested that I not plug anything in. Fortunately this was an overnight flight so I wasn't planning on using my laptop too much. But does anyone know of a way of resetting this?
Old May 5, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ChrL
I had a similar experience yesterday. On a 77W I had USB power but the a/c outlet had a red light on (regardless of whether anything was plugged in). The FA wasn't sure what it meant, the purser wasn't sure either and suggested that I not plug anything in. Fortunately this was an overnight flight so I wasn't planning on using my laptop too much. But does anyone know of a way of resetting this?
I have seen power indicators both red and green, not sure what 77Ws run. No light was no power. Probably would have been fine but being overly cautious is not a bad when dealing with your laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.