Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks AA for Missing My Nephew's College Graduation! (mechanicals, cancellation)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by txskygal
American called airport police, due to Customers' being rightfully upset. I asked the officers to show a little mercy, due to the circumstances. There needs to be Customer compliance and self-restraint, but being upset and angry is a normal human response, too.
Being angry is normal, but manifesting anger to the extent it elicits a police response is concerning.

Uh, first of all thanks for the sympathy. Great to see fellow AA members commiserating with an upsetting situation!
I bet we all wish AA could turn back time and deliver you to graduation. It's just not clear what you want AA to give you other than a refund, which you already have.

I WAS booked for the previous day. However, I have extremely severe allergies, giving me a severe cold, which caused me to have to cancel the flight the day before, which I therefore booked for the following day, the day of graduation.
Okay, so you succumbed to a double whammy of bad luck (having to miss your original flight, then getting delayed on your backup flight).

Sometimes life just happens that way, and it's unfortunate, and there is nothing to be gained from wallowing in it. These situations were out of your control. I would rather turn my attention the most important thing, namely that your nephew did graduate.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:37 pm

As an Aviation Professional, I'm sure you sent this to AA, without the emotion, only the facts.
honeytoes likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
While I feel for the OP (even though I am a Sun Devil!)... anyone who flies regularly knows things happen and to plan accordingly. It seems OP understands this to an extent by trying to travel the day before. However a smarter move when having to change to travelling the day of the event would have been to get on a flight to PHX and drive or even connect (with the option of driving as a fall back). Flying in to a small airport is always a risk. I fly into a few small airports and they are always the easiest flights to cancel. If an alternate plane is needed it’s usually the last route to get it. DFW to PHX would impact many passengers connecting so AA would try and get that flight in the air.
BillBurn likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
<removed meta content>
If an event is so important fly the night before. Obviously this wasn’t important

Last edited by Microwave; May 12, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
As an "airline professional", do you expect them to guess at what you want? What exactly did you want Z to do, pay for your nephew's education?
Do you expect the CEO of AA to ring you up and apologize?

Last edited by mvoight; May 12, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdantage EXP
Sorry to hear you missed the graduation, but as everyone else has said what exactly do you want? Will a bunch of strangers agreeing with you on a message board make you feel better?

Not trying to be mean here but I can’t understand why you would wait until the last minute to get there. How is you having allergies the day before the Airlines problem?
Old May 12, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
OP appears to have been active on Flyertalk since 2002 based on their post history. That along with spouse’s reported business travel history, and OP claim to being an aviation professional, makes the histrionics of this thread baffling.

Yes, OP is upset at missing nephew’s graduation but things happen. AA mechanical issues day of graduation is no more at fault than OP own health issues that prevented travel on originally scheduled flight the day before. Things happen. Not sure what OP wants from AA since ticket has already been reimbursed as trip in vain.

Last edited by Microwave; May 12, 2018 at 11:19 pm Reason: Removed quote of redacted post
Old May 12, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't think a genuine aviation professional would come so unstrung over an average, unfortunate, unremarkable operational mishap. The risks of trying to fly in hours before a can't-miss event are crystal clear and super avoidable.
javabytes likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
And if it was weather related how would he letter read

Dear God, thanks for the storm........

everyone has said it, if it’s that important go a day early and relax

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; May 12, 2018 at 9:57 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 12, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
However, I have extremely severe allergies, giving me a severe cold, which caused me to have to cancel the flight the day before
Were your "allergies" all of a sudden cured the day of a graduation as opposed to the day before? I'm not a doctor, but I believe "allergies" tend to be seasonal, in a specific geographic region, etc., (i.e. not short 1-day colds that quickly go away). Did you think you would feel better overnight and therefore you needed to cancel your original flight and book a flight the next day instead?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Were your "allergies" all of a sudden cured the day of a graduation as opposed to the day before? I'm not a doctor, but I believe "allergies" tend to be seasonal, in a specific geographic region, etc., (i.e. not short 1-day colds that quickly go away). Did you think you would feel better overnight and therefore you needed to cancel your original flight and book a flight the next day instead?
Great point. Certainly allergies can flare and be worse on some days than others. But OP's claim that she got a severe cold because of her allergies doesn't really add up - colds are caused by viruses whereas allergies are an immune response (putting it simply). Sure OP could've gotten a cold on top of having allergies, but having allergic rhinitis doesn't cause colds.

In any case that's besides the point, somewhat.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
OP- the reason for having such difficulty with the FTers here, is because your post
is written as though this was your 1st rodeo
If you could step away from your post and look it up with fresh eyes, you would see what we mean
As a wife I influence my husband's airline choice........ sounds very Hillary Clintonish

Telling American Airlines that is difficult to graduate college and therefore they should give you more compensation is irrational.

I don't quite understand how adding someone else's issue about freaking out helps your case.

And as we all know here "sarcasm does not cut it in a letter"

You have not told us what you consider fair compensation. Please tell us now.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

In addition, I am also aware that American has been known to monitor these forums, and to respond with the Customer.
Er, no. Not for many years.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Several posts containing off topic or meta content or overly personalised responses have been removed or redacted.

Please stay on topic and avoid personal attacks or insults. Thank you!

~Moderator
LadyShiva likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Uh, first of all thanks for the sympathy. Great to see fellow AA members commiserating with an upsetting situation!

Secondly, this is not my first rodeo. In making your ASSUMPTIONS, I WAS booked for the previous day. However, I have extremely severe allergies, giving me a severe cold, which caused me to have to cancel the flight the day before, which I therefore booked for the following day, the day of graduation.

Thirdly, having done this for almost 3 decades, I looked at every airline, alternate routes and city-pairs, to see what remote feasibility there was to reroute myself, to ameliorate this situation, to no avail.

Forthly, I know that although aircrafts swaps are not necessarily the easiest thing, and they affect operations all down the line, this was a reasonable and acheiveable option, at some point.

In addition, I am also aware that American has been known to monitor these forums, and to respond with the Customer.

Finally, I'm not quite as stupid and inept as you all make me out to be. Assuming I did not do everything within my power, to use situational awareness and advanced planning shows the negative self-righteousness of those who think all this was somehow my own fault!

Wow, hope the world is a little more sympathetic to your situation, next time you have a problem with life!
We all get that this was a frustrating experience. You have my sympathies. But I and others are still wondering specifically what you are suggesting that AA do for you now, and whether you have actually made a specific request of AA.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.