Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS Management Shift to Building AA as a Premium Airline (?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS Management Shift to Building AA as a Premium Airline (?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enpremiere
747's with the high density MAX 8 retrofits. Now that is indeed a BA-style move!
First Class seats will be replaced with Meridian seats, to match BA.

Thanks for catching my Autocowrecked, which seems to be 737-phobic.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I wish your autocorrect were management at AA then!
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Agree that domestic routes, aside from the 321T, are certainly lacking. Of this is their “goal”, was the 78M order too far through to change? Will they can-x the 738 retrofit?

Are we going to the opera? I don’t think sooo...

Comparitively, it could be worse. At least they haven’t pulled the EU business class model out yet, and even as inconsistent as it may be, domestic F still at least maintains a distinct difference.

That said, it could certainly be a bit better on the soft product end. We’ll see what happens I guess. I still am in the camp that thinks a bit more overhaul to MCE could be a possibility, which could/would better translate from a longhaul J/PE/Y to domestic F/MCE/Y.

Give it a couple of years and we may see MCE treated more like PE. With the coming “free snacks/drinks/reserved overhead space”, they’re only missing first checked bag free and a few other minor details.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
My guess AA defines "premium airline" as "doesn't suck too much" .... even domestic first is far from a premium experience (no lounge, uncomfortable seats ....)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dll
Has Doug been on the LUS A320, A319? How about the MADMAX?
I've personally seen Doug on HP/US A320's. When his kids were younger and the family flew together for vacations, they weren't supposed to sit in first (there was a minimum age for employees to sit in F with children). Doug followed the same rules that any other employee did for non-rev travel.

And to be fair, US was one of the first airlines to have lie-flat business in the A330's; it took many of the other airlines years before they had anything close to Envoy suites.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Strange suggestion that they should have more than 10 seats in F on the A321T. Not sure they ever sell out. They probably could sell more J seats on the A321T.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
First Class seats will be replaced with Meridian seats, to match BA.

The “Oasis Project” (any desert and camel analogies here?
Delta did retire their 747 fleet not so long ago and in American's effort to model themselves after Delta, maybe they'll want to relive Delta's history. It's a bit a of a stretch but the Oasis Project is actually a secret plan to copy Delta's former 747 fleet with their familiar "hump" air frames Next thing you know American will buy a refinery and get into the catering business. Down the road they'll re-brand as DeltAA.

"Isom says “the problem we’ve had with our caterers, we operate in a marketplace that’s a duopoly there are only two caterers, I think they’ve gotten a little bit lazy in terms of what they can provide us and expect everything to go well… If those two main suppliers can’t do their job we’re going to have to find a different way. We’re the world’s largest airline, even if it means we’re going to have to get back into the catering business."
- Credit to Gary Leff (Just as Gary points out, it still cracks me up that a business so well protected by a lack of competition complains about a lack of competition in their supply own chain).

Last edited by enpremiere; Apr 19, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I'm in the skeptical camp; get the point that making significant changes to hard product in an operation this large is like turning a battleship, but Parker has had MORE than enough time to make simple gestures, such as convert the first few Y rows on LUS A320, 321 to MCE, continues to drag his feet.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Fraser
Is there a problem with that? (Outside of lazy GAs who can't be bothered to process upgrades)
it is if you think you are treating premium passengers above average when they are in a below average coach seat in a high density plane without even MCE available.

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 19, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've never really understood what this nebulous "premium airline" goal is supposed to be - it always seems to be caught up in a certain amount of generic Doug Parker dislike. The A330 J seats, when first installed, were light years ahead of anything AA had to offer - anyone arguing that US was the "premium" airline at the time?
JDiver and aztimm like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
All the while they rip premium seats out of aircraft. Capacity has gone down so much in some instances it's hard to book a revenue seat close in. I'm talking about the 319's, 321's (should really have the same F cabin as a LAA 757), coming reductions to the 787's, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by superweak
I've never really understood what this nebulous "premium airline" goal is supposed to be - it always seems to be caught up in a certain amount of generic Doug Parker dislike. The A330 J seats, when first installed, were light years ahead of anything AA had to offer - anyone arguing that US was the "premium" airline at the time?
That indeed was a market leading hard product at the time, however the soft product was not something I'd consider premium.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
All the while they rip premium seats out of aircraft. Capacity has gone down so much in some instances it's hard to book a revenue seat close in. I'm talking about the 319's, 321's (should really have the same F cabin as a LAA 757), coming reductions to the 787's, etc.
Agree - it makes no sense. Oftentimes flights on the A321 (AA version) have first sold out well in advance. Even if one wants to purchase it, there are no seats to purchase. Those should have 24 seats.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:43 pm

if I put in the appropriate number of

LOL's

in response to show my skepticism, my L and O keys would break off my keyboard
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Those should have 24 seats.
An airline has to do a balancing act, with customers on one arm and investors on the other.

Back when HP and US first merged, the US A321's had a boatload of F seats (HP didn't have any A321 aircraft at the time of the merger). Even Silver elites (equal to today's AA Gold) were getting upgraded, even on long/transcon flights. To please investors they took out seats; those aircraft went down to 16 F seats. New A321's were delivered with the same 16 seats. Investors seemed happy with that number of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.