Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS swap to DL on AA Award ticket — Any credit to DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:31 am
Original Poster

OK. I tried searching for this answer but cant find it.

Originally on the EZE-MIA flight tonight (Apr 18)) which has gone a bit pear shaped —> now 6 hours delayed and leaving at 3 AM, though I have my doubts as to whether it leaves at all.

Anyway, it is an award ticket (saver) in business. They have swapped me over to delta in business and now I connect through Atlanta. Question is whether, by accidental mechanics as how they novate over the ticket, whether I get mileage credit on Delta as if this was a revenue ticket? My guess is no, but it would make me feel better about the delay!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No need to ask, if you have a DL FFN, just apply it to your ticket. If it gets credited, great, if not, nothing lost. Back in the days when the airlines endorsed tickets to each other AA, DL, UA, on the occasion that I had this happened I was able to get both credit, ORC, and new carrier credit as well. Since you are on award ticket, certainly no ORC for you, but high possibility for DL.
jacobguo and Beltway2A like this.

Last edited by arollins; Apr 18, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:46 am

Agreed, you have a good shot. Does your DL ticket or boarding pass show a paid fare code like J, D, I, or Z? You can ask in the DL forum for more details.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I flew dtw lga in 2016 and lga airport closed due to Delta aircraft slipped. Aa rebooked my award ticket to y class on Delta. (I was Delta diamond). But no miles.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Clicked on receipt. Showing no dollars for base fare and C and F for fare classes on the eze-atl and atl- Mia segments
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:02 pm

You could try having a DL agent put your number on the ticket, or try calling in to DL afterwards. I wouldn’t necessarily offer up it was IRROPS on an award from AA, but the worst thing that happens is you get nothing from DL and ORC from AA.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
I think it's likely that there is something in your PNR that says "Not Eligible for FF Credit" or something similar. I've seen this before but never knew the rules around what causes that to be entered into the record.

But as others have said - ask to have your SkyMiles number added and see what happens. DL doesn't know that it was an award ticket on AA and they probably don't care - AA paid for the ticket on DL for the full fare regardless of what it says. If nothing else you'll be recognized as a DL FF and treated accordingly if you have any DL status.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
unless u are not delta elite, i would post to other skyteam airline

dl credits to dl based on fare sepnt.. and they can check that it is rerouted from aa. (it is 001 ticket )
Old May 5, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Original OP here.

wanted to circle back with an answer based on final posting to account: no credit.

flight shows up in history but shows no miles. Under “Reward Method” it says “Null” and under “reason” it says “activity is not eigable for mileage credit”

when i I went into the lounge in ATL to ask about changing the last leg to a different airport, they said “we can’t touch this mileage ticket from here” so it got imprinted into the DL Rez system as a reward ticket it seems.

anyway, that is what happened here!
Old May 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Original OP here.

wanted to circle back with an answer based on final posting to account: no credit.

flight shows up in history but shows no miles. Under “Reward Method” it says “Null” and under “reason” it says “activity is not eigable for mileage credit”

when i I went into the lounge in ATL to ask about changing the last leg to a different airport, they said “we can’t touch this mileage ticket from here” so it got imprinted into the DL Rez system as a reward ticket it seems.

anyway, that is what happened here!
No, DL reward fares use O/R fare classes for F/J. These IRROP interline tickets use real revenue fare classes, but they carry a designation that indicates they are ineligible for mileage credit. Also, now that redeemable mileage credit is based on spend, they would have to expose their interline rates to get credit which they would understandably rather not provide.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Well they specifically said at the lounge that “this is a reward ticket and we can’t change it. Call reservations”. Not sure how they arrived at that comment if it was coded as you say. Anyway, just sharing the experience and what they said which differs from your somewhat more definitive statement. Either way, no credit. Bummer

Last edited by Woodsmit; May 6, 2018 at 11:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.