Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hidden city ticket users busted! (detected at gate - no action taken)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden city ticket users busted! (detected at gate - no action taken)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not if they really wanted a hidden city ticket through B
Then they would not be a happy camper at all!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Talking isn't "broadcasting". Nor is listening in to a business conversation the fault of people conducting business. To keep their names secret, how do you suggest they be paged so they don't miss their flight.

Airlines will go after you for this, but it needs to be regular, repeated, and of substantial value.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
What's the next logical event in the series?

"Agent looked up my bank account, figured out that I didn't have the money for taxi fare to get to the airport, then closed the boarding door."

"Agent checked my blood type and online dating profile, figured out that I met some hottie in the airport, then closed the boarding door."

"Agent checked my facebook page, realized that I had just broken up with my S.O., and closed the boarding door to spare me the agony of going home to a ruined relationship."

"Agent needed to get the flight out, so agent used my credit card on file and booked me on the next available flight.".

Sometimes I wish people would just do their job, period.
What's the next logical event in the series, you ask? Nothing, because that's where the series ended. I'd say the gate agent did precisely his or her job. Determined the checked-baggage status (to prevent bag separation from owner unless operationally necessary), the likelihood of those passengers still desiring transportation, and worthwhileness of accommodating such passengers if likely to still arrive. His or her job isn't simply to slam the door shut at T minus zero, even if that's how one or more of us would want it to be.
jhartvu and MADPhil like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Agent had to look at the whole address in order to deduce that they live "in Chicago". It should be on a "need to know" basis. Why does a gate agent need to know anyone's home address?
This was my thought. Only those with a specific need to know should see my actual address or other pertinent info. But I also only have my home address on a few vital things (HR with my employer, etc). All cards, accounts, etc will go to another/relatively far away address for varied reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Talking isn't "broadcasting". Nor is listening in to a business conversation the fault of people conducting business. To keep their names secret, how do you suggest they be paged so they don't miss their flight.

Airlines will go after you for this, but it needs to be regular, repeated, and of substantial value.
The people talking business should not make it so easy for people to hear such conversations. That is the fault of people conducting business.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended

This raises the issue of a flight departure being delayed while they make announcements, 'will Mr. X please make his way to Departure Gate 21', etc.

People who think they are being 'smart' by using hidden city ticketing to get somewhere for a lower price, are not just denying the airline a chance to sell a seat, they are causing a delay for everyone on that flight. That's called selfish and inconsiderate.

Nor is any money actually saved overall. If an airline determines that hidden city ticketing is reducing their revenue by X amount, all that will happen is that they will increase their fares by X amount. So while the individual may save, everyone else will pay more. That's called selfish and inconsiderate.

Unfortunately, today we live in a world of 'me' and not caring about the impact an individual decision has on others is quite common.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Is there any proof beyond conjecture that these people actually used hidden city ticketing? A lot of speculation based on the statement of a GA that they had no bags and *may* have lived in Chicago. Perhaps they just missed the flight and were rebooked at a later time.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

I don't even think this is necessarily true. What if they are college students who went to eat with their parents in Chicago but didn't get back to the airport in time to catch their onward flight? I live in Texas and I routinely schedule long layovers in ORD so I can go out to eat with my parents. I've updated my address now but in college, I kept my perm address as my Chicago address.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
People who think they are being 'smart' by using hidden city ticketing to get somewhere for a lower price, are not just denying the airline a chance to sell a seat, they are causing a delay for everyone on that flight. That's called selfish and inconsiderate.

Nor is any money actually saved overall. If an airline determines that hidden city ticketing is reducing their revenue by X amount, all that will happen is that they will increase their fares by X amount. So while the individual may save, everyone else will pay more. That's called selfish and inconsiderate.
[Playing devil's advocate]
The above are not necessarily true.
1. AA requires one to be at the door 10 minutes prior to departure. That allows 10 minutes to finish up and still get the plane out on time. If they need more time than that, the airline(s) should make a longer cutoff as it's not just folks doing HCT that show up at the last minute.
2. Buying a fare in a lower bucket *could* cause the airline a chance to sell a seat in a higher fare bucket. I doubt that a majority of the flights go out with every single seat being sold to/used by a paid passenger. So buying a cheap/unused seat might make the airline more money since their last ticket might be at a higher price than would have otherwise been sold at.
3. Flight prices are rarely set based upon costs. It's supply demand. Also, with millions of tickets being sold, the per ticket cost of HCT has to be <$0.01.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
What's the next logical event in the series, you ask? Nothing, because that's where the series ended. I'd say the gate agent did precisely his or her job. Determined the checked-baggage status (to prevent bag separation from owner unless operationally necessary), the likelihood of those passengers still desiring transportation, and worthwhileness of accommodating such passengers if likely to still arrive. His or her job isn't simply to slam the door shut at T minus zero, even if that's how one or more of us would want it to be.
Exactly! The GA's did their job in an excellent manner. Otherwise, we would have a thread titiled "The GA's closed the door as I was running toward the gate".
DenverBrian and Grog like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
This raises the issue of a flight departure being delayed while they make announcements, 'will Mr. X please make his way to Departure Gate 21', etc.

Unfortunately, today we live in a world of 'me' and not caring about the impact an individual decision has on others is quite common.
You and I agree on something!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Sorry for the click baity title...

For the record the gate was mostly empty. (maybe 5 people within sight)

The walk of shame I referred to was because the agent kept speaking loudly in a way that could have embarrassed the pax for falling asleep at the gate.

The agents were very friendly and while they were not talking to me specifically, they acknowledged I was paying attention and understood the circumstance. We exchanged a few smiles/looks as they closed out the flight. IMO an agent knowing my address isn't particularly a big deal, but to each their own. Maybe I'm just too trusting.

Also of note, about 15 minutes after the plane pushed back a group of three (only two pax were missing according to the GA announcements) came running up to the gate asking if this was the flight to MSY. The pax names who missed the flight were asian sounding, while these three were far from asian. They looked furious that the plane had left without them. I never noticed where they wound up.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by rivlinm
The agents didn't seem mad. In fact they seemed more impressed that someone was smart enough to game the system like this. They closed the door on time and the flight departed.​​
Yes, they may have left on schedule but these kinds of shenanigans probably don't impress anyone in the era of D0, especially gate agents.

Gates and gate agents need to be freed up as quickly as possible so this sort of activity, if intentional and on a wide scale, can impact a station's performance. Obtaining value from award programs is one thing but "gaming the system" like this falls in the same ballpark as the individuals who buy/change tickets for lounge meals without intent to fly.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
No one knows if the GAs reported the Hidden City tickets or not. That would all be behind the scenes.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by formeraa
Exactly! The GA's did their job in an excellent manner. Otherwise, we would have a thread titiled "The GA's closed the door as I was running toward the gate".
My first thought when reading this thread. Was traveling a few years back on an award ticket, on a LEGAL connection through PHL from somewhere (do not recall) in the Caribbean to SAN in domestic first. Flight landing was delayed, took forever for luggage to show up, causing me to arrive at the gate within 15 minutes of departure. Gate agent was well aware of my situation, was getting ready to give away my first class seat on an otherwise oversold flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.