Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US passage flight system has broken (I experienced 75% AA delayed flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

I posted a similar topic about 2 years ago. It has getting worse since then.
I took 4 round trip flights so far this year. Two international, all by AA from ORD to PVG, and two domestics one by American Airline and 1 by united. Among 4 sections of international flights, 2 seriously delayed (>6 hrs), 1 moderately delayed (2.5 hrs) and 1 on time. This is 75% rate of delay. I can't image any other industry has 75% defect rate for their products. The 2 domestic round trips included 6 sections, 2 delayed. This is 33%.
You get zero help from airline during the delay. They acted like nothing happened.
US airports are among the worst in the world. LAX, LGA and a few more are slums. You don't want to stop there for one more minute. The line for security check in US airport are longest. They never work in full capacity. If there are three lanes, they only open 1. You always see 10 or more uniformed people stand there to talk each other and doing nothing.
Most airports of major cities in the world such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, London, Milan have efficient and reliable rail transportation system links to city center, but not US airports. LAG, the closest airport to NYC, even bus needs a transfer.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You claimed to have posted 2 years ago, but this is the first by this username
What other name did you use?
AA does not have a 75 percent delay record
Maybe you can post the dates and flight numbers so someone can verify the cause of the delays
It's not like flights in China are never delayed
jcatman and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
#FakeNews
thunderlounge and jridge like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Yi Wang
I posted a similar topic about 2 years ago. It has getting worse since then.
I took 4 round trip flights so far this year. Two international, all by AA from ORD to PVG, and two domestics one by American Airline and 1 by united. Among 4 sections of international flights, 2 seriously delayed (>6 hrs), 1 moderately delayed (2.5 hrs) and 1 on time. This is 75% rate of delay. I can't image any other industry has 75% defect rate for their products. The 2 domestic round trips included 6 sections, 2 delayed. This is 33%.
You get zero help from airline during the delay. They acted like nothing happened.
US airports are among the worst in the world. LAX, LGA and a few more are slums. You don't want to stop there for one more minute. The line for security check in US airport are longest. They never work in full capacity. If there are three lanes, they only open 1. You always see 10 or more uniformed people stand there to talk each other and doing nothing.
Most airports of major cities in the world such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, London, Milan have efficient and reliable rail transportation system links to city center, but not US airports. LAG, the closest airport to NYC, even bus needs a transfer.
If you traveled internationally, I'd be interested to hear the objective comparison between the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX and your departure airport. Really?

You are going to have to be a lot more specific and thorough to be taken seriously on this website.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:08 pm

tl;dr

Negged
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:18 am

Simple answer then...don't go there....
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I flew two segments on AA yesterday. It took two minutes to get through precheck. One of my flights landed 30 minutes early and the other 15 minutes early. Both landed on time.

So, based on this, clearing security takes no more than two minutes and 100 percent of American flights are early.

That being said, Tom Bradley at LAX security is a mess and there are certainly airports in the world where security is more efficient -- but perhaps less thorough. Body scanners in the US slow things. LGA is the slum but I like LAX. TBIT is hardly the slums and American's terminals at LAX are nice.

I like airports like DFW, ORD, MIA, DEN, SLC, SEA, PDX, SAN, SFO, DCA, PHL, EWR, STL, etc. where I can catch light rail/train/subway and get into business centers.
zebes likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I've had many more meaningful delays on international carriers in the last couple of years, than I have had on AA. Last time I was at LHR Terminal 3 transfer security only two lanes of security were open, and I waited a half-hour in line, whereas upon arrival in the U.S. at DFW I was through security in 1 minute.

From these experiences I can conclude that the international air carrier system is broken and the US one is good.

Oh wait, what's that you say? My own anecdotal experience does not generalize to broad conclusions about the air traffic system as a whole? Oh...
C17PSGR and jcatman like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US government (DOT) publishes delay statistics. Your reporting of a 75% delay rate for AA is false. If that is false, what else is false?

It seems as though you do not like traveling to the US. You should not.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
We're talking about aluminum tubes carrying us at hundreds of miles an hour thousands of feet above the ground. Comparing that to any other industry's product is ridiculous. If they and airline needs extra time to get their shinola together in order to deliver me safely then so be it. Sure, it's a pain when it happens but perspective is needed. And yes, LGA is a dump.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Wink

Originally Posted by Yi Wang
This is 75% rate of delay. I can't image any other industry has 75% defect rate for their products. The 2 domestic round trips included 6 sections, 2 delayed. This is 33%.
My JetBlue and Southwest flights in 2018 have run 100% on time or early; therefore, this industry has a 110% success rate.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You’ll probably notice we can be a demanding bunch. Here’s a USDOT breakdown for American Airlines; I’m not seeing 75% delay anywhere. Link to USDOT BTS Airline On-Time statistics, etc.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You’ll probably notice we can be a demanding bunch. Here’s a USDOT breakdown for American Airlines; I’m not seeing 75% delay anywhere.
Anyone else surprised by the amount of diverted flights? Almost 2,000? Diversions can happen for weather, mechanical or medical issues...but, still, I thought that was a much higher number than I expected.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
1. a delay is not a defect in the product. It's a factor in the operating circumstances the industry operates in. Buses get delayed in traffic is that a defect?

2. 4 flights is an incredibly small sample to base anything on.

3. JFK for example does have easy access to Manhattan via the subway and air train. SFO has the BART. ORD has the Blue line.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Anyone else surprised by the amount of diverted flights? Almost 2,000? Diversions can happen for weather, mechanical or medical issues...but, still, I thought that was a much higher number than I expected.
Honestly not really, not for a full year for such a massive airline. I mean you have to assume AA flies well over 2 million flights a year easily, Didn't look hard, but it seems AA has/had about 6,700 flts a day when you add in regionals, so that is only 0.00081% of flts diverted. The odds of being diverted on the whole is a little less than 1 in every 1,250 flights.

In any way, I bet this years number if even higher than that with the Nor-Easter streak etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.