Wiki Posts
Search

Crew-only lav?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Crew-only lav?

I recently flew PVG-DFW on a 789, had a seat in Business in clear view of the forward lav next to the cockpit. For the entire 12-hour flight, it seemed like the lav was occupied. But in reality I think the crew locked it from the outside so they have exclusive use of it. This is what I observed:
  • Lav was locked from the outside most of the time
  • Crew would unlock the lav whenever they needed to use it, then lock it back up afterwards
  • It definitely wasn't broken, and no announcement was made about it
  • The few times I actually used it when it was unlocked, the crew promptly locked it back up after I left. In one case, the crew member knocked on the door when I was going about my business!
  • It didnt seem like crew were turning away pax who when to use the lav when it was unlocked
  • No pilots were on break or otherwise hovering around the area
To make things more confusing, they also closed the curtains separating J and PE, which made it seem like the 2 lavs near the second set of doors were dedicated to PE.

Am I crazy or does this behavior sound fishy?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by UAL1200
I recently flew PVG-DFW on a 789, had a seat in Business in clear view of the forward lav next to the cockpit. For the entire 12-hour flight, it seemed like the lav was occupied. But in reality I think the crew locked it from the outside so they have exclusive use of it. This is what I observed:
  • Lav was locked from the outside most of the time
  • Crew would unlock the lav whenever they needed to use it, then lock it back up afterwards
  • It definitely wasn't broken, and no announcement was made about it
  • The few times I actually used it when it was unlocked, the crew promptly locked it back up after I left. In one case, the crew member knocked on the door when I was going about my business!
  • It didnt seem like crew were turning away pax who when to use the lav when it was unlocked
  • No pilots were on break or otherwise hovering around the area
To make things more confusing, they also closed the curtains separating J and PE, which made it seem like the 2 lavs near the second set of doors were dedicated to PE.

Am I crazy or does this behavior sound fishy?
Maybe they were trying to prevent passengers from the main cabin from sneaking up front. Main cabin passengers constantly move forward into business class inflight attempting to take unoccupied seats or use the lavatories on China flights. I think this is a cultural difference. I have seen flight attendants open tray tables on open seats in business class as a deterrent. If that makes sense...............

Last edited by D3Kingg; Apr 9, 2018 at 12:19 am Reason: elaborate
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:40 am
ksb

Programs: AA EXP
I saw this same behavior on a DFW-ICN flight in September. The front lav was locked almost always. I thought it odd. The common threads appear to be DFW, the 789, and north Pacific crossings. (I haven't noticed this behavior on LAX-SYD or LAX-AKL.)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Maybe they were trying to prevent passengers from the main cabin from sneaking up front. Main cabin passengers constantly move forward into business class inflight attempting to take unoccupied seats or use the lavatories on China flights. I think this is a cultural difference. I have seen flight attendants open tray tables on open seats in business class as a deterrent. If that makes sense...............
isn't the AA policy to allow people to use lavs in other classes, except on flights to the US (due to regs)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
isn't the AA policy to allow people to use lavs in other classes, except on flights to the US (due to regs)
I believe that AA's policy is that it is not allowed but the policy is also that there is no enforcement.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:47 am

I have seen this occasionally for years. Some international FA crews (with I assume the permission or direction from the captain) lock a bathroom for personal crew use. Yes, they shouldn't do that but its not really a big deal. I've seen things so much worse.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DWFI
I believe that AA's policy is that it is not allowed but the policy is also that there is no enforcement.
That seems to be opposite of what I read in American Way before. I know I read something regarding this was only prohibited on international flights to the US

It was also indicated here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28862394-post4.html
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
OP, did you not have a chance to ask the FA why this door was being locked in this manner?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by ksb
I saw this same behavior on a DFW-ICN flight in September. The front lav was locked almost always. I thought it odd. The common threads appear to be DFW, the 789, and north Pacific crossings. (I haven't noticed this behavior on LAX-SYD or LAX-AKL.)
This happened on my DFW-NRT flight earlier this year.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I wonder if that was the intent on a flight from SYD-LAX last year -- the smaller F lav had its light set to on, which of course triggers the occupied sign as well. The FA laughed when I mentioned it -- claiming she never knew the two were connected. Certainly no admission of "guilt" (or intent) -- and otherwise fantastic service. (Fun fact, of the 8 in F, I think there was only one other "revenue" (SWU) F passenger, we both received first choice of everything before the remainder of the cabin).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
That seems to be opposite of what I read in American Way before. I know I read something regarding this was only prohibited on international flights to the US

It was also indicated here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28862394-post4.html
Huh. My mistake. Clearly what happens in practice is not aligned with that appears to be the policy.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DWFI
Huh. My mistake. Clearly what happens in practice is not aligned with that appears to be the policy.
In practice, I have never had an FA attempt to stop me, nor tell me I was wrong for using the forward lav while seated in economy.
Since I am usually sitting near the front of economy, I rarely used the aft lavs. Have you been refused access to the forward lavs while in economy on a domestic flight nor ex-US international flight?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:43 pm

My guess is that they were reserving it for crew use.

But I do recall reading here once that if the lav smoke detector is not working, the lav can be used by crew, but not passengers. Logic being that the crew can be trusted to not start a fire, but the passengers can't be.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by will2288

But I do recall reading here once that if the lav smoke detector is not working, the lav can be used by crew, but not passengers. Logic being that the crew can be trusted to not start a fire, but the passengers can't be.
<bolding mine>

True. Starting a fire would mean a crew member taking their eyes off the cell phone, standing up, and doing something.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by will2288

I would be fine if that is what actually happened, but I suspect this is not the cause of all of these, as I doubt the forward lav smoke detectors are not more prone to problems than those elsewhere on the plane
ExpatExp and Zacnlinc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.