Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First TATL upgrade on AA ever (op up PE-> J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT Platinum

I was travelling from Denmark to DFW today via LHR and I got upgraded from Premium Economy to Business on the LHR-DFW leg. I am platinum on AA from last year, and about to make PLT from heavy first quarter international travel.

This is the only upgrade I have received in 15 years of travel on AA, but I was usually a gold or no status in the first 10 years. I did pay $499 to upgrade to business on the way to Denmark, but not on the return. I had the same crew going out and coming back and they were pretty mediocre compared to the Lufthansa TATL flight and the Trans-pacific AA crew on the DFW-ICN route I took in December.

Glad to catch an upgrade after all these years....
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Did you notice if the flight was oversold in coach where they needed to roll passengers forward to accommodate? That would be the likely explanation, since they don't - as a policy - upgrade to international business unless they need the coach seats to avoid paying $$ in an overbook situation.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by backspinnn
This is the only upgrade I have received in 15 years of travel on AA
To be clear, have you even been requesting upgrades (i.e., waitlisting for miles+copay), or just hoping for an op-up? Have you been able to use any of your domestic 500-mile upgrades (perhaps so, since your title specifies TATL upgrade)?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
To be clear, have you even been requesting upgrades (i.e., waitlisting for miles+copay), or just hoping for an op-up? Have you been able to use any of your domestic 500-mile upgrades (perhaps so, since your title specifies TATL upgrade)?
I have requested upgrades with the 500 mile coupons, but it is near impossible to get them leaving out of Dallas as a gold or platinum. I did get upgraded with those twice on empty planes going to El Paso in 2012.

I am flying to IAD tomorrow morning and I requested an upgrade with the coupons and it didn't clear as usual.

The TATL flight from LHR-DFW didn't seem to be overbooked. I noticed a few empty seats in coach.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I have requested upgrades with the 500 mile coupons, but it is near impossible to get them leaving out of Dallas as a gold or platinum. I did get upgraded with those twice on empty planes going to El Paso in 2012.

I am flying to IAD tomorrow morning and I requested an upgrade with the coupons and it didn't clear as usual.

The TATL flight from LHR-DFW didn't seem to be overbooked. I noticed a few empty seats in coach.
Domestic DFW flights are among the hardest flights to get complimentary upgrades, even for EXP. The J/F seats are usually offered to CK, or just completely sold out. That's why you will usually see a long upgrade list.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:04 pm

I'm curious, do you consider intl upgrades worth the miles+copay price? I think if you were consistently requesting them, you'd eventually get something as GLD or PLT, even out of DFW. Even the number of intl flights with published C inventory (upgrade confirmable at booking with no status) isn't zero. But maybe you have a better use for your miles.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I was travelling from Denmark to DFW today via LHR and I got upgraded from Premium Economy to Business on the LHR-DFW leg. I am platinum on AA from last year, and about to make PLT from heavy first quarter international travel.

This is the only upgrade I have received in 15 years of travel on AA, but I was usually a gold or no status in the first 10 years. I did pay $499 to upgrade to business on the way to Denmark, but not on the return. I had the same crew going out and coming back and they were pretty mediocre compared to the Lufthansa TATL flight and the Trans-pacific AA crew on the DFW-ICN route I took in December.

Glad to catch an upgrade after all these years....
Was this a miles plus copayment upgrade, LFBU, or operational upgrade?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

On the DFW-LHR flight, I paid $499 to upgrade to business at check-in online. $499 was worth it, because I had business meetings in Denmark the next day after arrival.

Returning on BLL-LHR-DFW, I got an alert about 2 hours prior to the TATL flight that I was upgraded to business. I didn't request it, pay, or use miles. I looked at the upgrade list and I was #4 . I was originally booked PE round trip.

Hopefully, my luck will continue this week on my M-Th DFW-IAD RT and Friday I depart on DFW-FRA-HEL-RIX-FCO-OTP-LHR-DFW in PE. That monster trip was only $2500 surprisingly. I will be close to making P Pro coming off the next Europe trip.

Last edited by backspinnn; Apr 8, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reason: Fra to lhr corrected
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Congrats!!!!

Maybe PE was overbooked?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Congrats!!!!

Maybe PE was overbooked?
+1

It would be pretty cool if AA started selling/overselling enough PE to make W-->J opups as regular as they are with, say, BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.