Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interesting AA to DL IROPS Experience in -Up & Award in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting AA to DL IROPS Experience in -Up & Award in First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And where is said information specifically regarding instant upgrades? Where exactly do you find it and what exactly does it say such that if any normal person were to even find the information they would understand what it means?

Y-UP is basically a crock.

FWIW, DL's first class fares are based on underlying coach fares, but I'm not sure how they treat them in IRROPs/downgrades. You can do same-day/confirmed flight change to any available first class inventory (I think the same on AA?), although that is only free for DL Gold (50k) and higher, others have to pay $75, including companions on the same reservation as a Gold or higher. (And you have to call in to do SDFC). AA gives free SDC to all "first class" tickets.
Both DL and AA "SELL-UP" discount FC fares have a coach basis fare underlying them (and require bucket availability in that coach class to sell them). They no longer require special "ticket indentifiers" (the -UP identifiers) as they have introduced an 8th letter to their fare basis codes for this purpose. They also use this 8th letter to identify BE fares (and C+ fares on DL). Here's the main difference between the DL sell-up FC fares and the AA sell-up FC fares from Category 50:Application in the fare rules.

DL --
FIRST CLASS FARES
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST CLASS SERVICE

.AA --
ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS.
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 5, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
Here's the main difference between the DL sell-up FC fares and the AA sell-up FC fares from Category 50:Application in the fare rules.
I suspect you obtained that language from a third-party website.
This is all I see when searching LGA-ORD on 5/16/18 and choose a "First Class" fare. Oh, and then I click through five screens before finally, at the very bottom, is a small link to the fare rules.
Fare class is KVAUPNIF
Originally Posted by Rule Application and Other Conditions
UPGRADE FARES APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS/ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Like I said, it's a crock, and I hope one day it comes back to bite them. Where's Ben E. when you need him?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I think it is a mistake for them to market it this way, at least from my little perch. If they marketed it as a coach seat with a built in upgrade, I would: 1) be able to purchase it within my company's 'coach only' flight rules. 2) Completely understand what I was getting myself into in an IRROPS situation. As it stands, I have to come out of pocket to buy the F upgrade.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I suspect you obtained that language from a third-party website.
This is all I see when searching LGA-ORD on 5/16/18 and choose a "First Class" fare. Oh, and then I click through five screens before finally, at the very bottom, is a small link to the fare rules.
Fare class is KVAUPNIF

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Like I said, it's a crock, and I hope one day it comes back to bite them. Where's Ben E. when you need him?
The fare rules I quoted were for a DTW-ORD FC fare - NVAIZNI3 (I Fare with underlying N coach basis). Looks like there are different rules for different markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.