Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship First Dining at LAX / Los Angeles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to Flagship First Dining at LAX / Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Anyone have the latest menu? Will be in FFD LAX later this week. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dukeman
Anyone have the latest menu? Will be in FFD LAX later this week. Thanks.
I’m currently eating breakfast in FFD now. Not sure if you were interested in the breakfast or all-day menu but here are the current breakfast and bar menus. Being a Texan, I contemplated the biscuits and gravy but the waiter was nice and said if you prefer traditional biscuits and gravy then he didn’t recommend it.

I ended up with the steak, eggs, frites. The eggs were poached nicely and the short rib was fairly tender. It was almost like a modified eggs Benedict.

Hope this helps a little.

dukeman and Andriyko like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:43 am

Thanks very much smuDC-10! If anyone has the rest of day menu that would also be appreciated. I will post when I visit.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dukeman
Thanks very much smuDC-10! If anyone has the rest of day menu that would also be appreciated. I will post when I visit.
No problem. Here is the all-day dining menu. I asked the nice waiter to bring it over before I left and he was happy to. I’m heading to JFK now but I have an evening LAX-London flight in a couple of weeks so I was eager to see what was on it as well. Your guess is as good as mine on what’s worth ordering though.

dukeman and Andriyko like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Member

I have had the pork belly wrap and the pasta and both were good. Some people have complained about the Rib Eye saying it was just ok. This is basically the same menu as I saw in Jan - but one of the apps changed. There was a really good clam app but no longer here.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I've visited FFD in LAX four times this year.

The carrot bisque with pineapple is a winner. I've had the Rib Eye twice, and the cut of meat was significantly better than what SFO777 was served during his visit.

Save room for dessert. The persimmon tarte and the bittersweet chocolate mousse are the best offerings inside that restaurant (along with the Bordeaux; the Krug; the Pinot Noir).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
I was there in early February. I was very pleased with all the courses. The salmon app doesn't seem to be on the existing menu.

Salmon appetizer.

Rib eye medium rare, and it was actually medium rare.

The recommended wine selection. Very good!

The bittersweet mousse. Outstanding!
Andriyko likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by smuDC-10

No problem. Here is the all-day dining menu. I asked the nice waiter to bring it over before I left and he was happy to. I’m heading to JFK now but I have an evening LAX-London flight in a couple of weeks so I was eager to see what was on it as well. Your guess is as good as mine on what’s worth ordering though.

Thanks for sharing last week. Same menu tonight. Krug tonight was served in 750's and not the 375's that had previously been reported. We had a party of 6 in FFD and we knocked back a few bottles of Krug along with the Cos d'Estournel.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Stopped here tonight before my LAX-JFK redeye. We're into April and the menu is still the same. According to the FFD staff, HMS takes over in a week. Hopefully the menu will change and food will improve.

Same old, same old..

A glass of the Krug Grande Cuvée to start. As usual, popped and pour behind the bar counter instead of presented and poured at the table. Jeez, where is the training here? Is this how they serve $200 bottles in Tempe?

I started with the Sesame Crusted Yellowfin Tuna. Meh. The rock shrimp and avocado lime salsa was the best part of this otherwise disappointing dish.

For my main, I went with the only safe thing on the menu IMO... the Orechiettte Pasta with house made venison and rapini. Delicious as always, especially with a glass of the outstanding Pagodes de Cos d'Estournel.

For desert, the Fuyu Persimmon Frangipane Tarte was fabulous.

Despite the disappointing menu, First Dining is a wonderful oasis and helps make AA transcon First the best domestic product... after Cathay's JFK-YVR service.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I had breakfast here a few weeks ago and was unimpressed. Nothing was bad; but nothing stood out in my mind as exceptional, either. Overall I gave it a B-/C+ for a top airline lounge dining experience. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic; but I expected more given the hype from AA.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
You say above 'HMS takes over in a week. Hopefully the menu will change and food will improve.'

Forgive me, but I have no idea who HMS are and the status/timing of any change. I'll be flying LAX > LHR in early June and am wondering whether to make time to try Flagship First Dining. Do you think the new folks will be in place by then>
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I thought the Venison Pasta was excellent and the Krug a real treat.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MisterE
Forgive me, but I have no idea who HMS are and the status/timing of any change.
Sorry, can't help you with the changeover date, however, HMSHost, previously known as Host Marriott Services Corporation, holds numerous airport food and retail concessions, operates highway rest stops and food and beverage services at sports arenas and entertainment venues. In 1999, it was acquired by Italian based Autogrill S.p.A.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I was there on April 9th and was told that was the first day of the changeover.

No changes had been made as of that date.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
May 8 went to FFD LAX for dinner before flight to HKG, and they had paper napkins instead of cloth. In the grand scheme of problems in the world, not something I'm concerned about. But if this is indicative of other coming cost cuts on the part of HMS, I'm a little worried. May be teething issues with the transition, and I'd rather they cut cloth napkins than food quality, but something to note.

Also, my carrot ginger bisque came out lukewarm to cold. But the miso tofu was delicious and spicy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.