Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-Stop Screaming/Crying Infant on International Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Stop Screaming/Crying Infant on International Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I see we're all well into FlyerTalk Rant Topic That We Have Opinions On And Has Been Done To Death #425, Kids On Planes. Coming up next, Topic #837, Coach Passengers Using The First Class Restroom...
This. ^
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:46 pm

AA's response was both rational and well stated. Here's the answer to your problem... please note I am a childless bachelor..but even I understand that that very young children are sometimes inconsolably noisy.

econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Setting aside the fact that someone had a fussy kid is not something that any airline would ever provide compensation for, I'm baffled at why someone would think that AA should provide some sort of CS response to something that happened onboard a JAL flight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
Babies are usually better than toddlers, but I have seen a baby scream for six hours on a flight as parents slept next to her, without disruption to their sleep. People were desperate though, since that flight left at 12:30am and was a 17-hour flight. Several people asked for flight attendants to please wake the couple up.
The FA should have woken the parents. Baby in obvious distress. The accompanying parent is responsible for care. If the FA failed to wake parents and request them to attend to the child then, yes, at that point the airline would be at fault in my opinion. If parent ignores crew member instructions then address as you would any other passenger consciously refusing crew instructions. High decibels noise for an extended period of time can be hazardous work environment.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Air Asia has a section of cabin designated as a Quiet Zone. I always pay to sit there.
solewalker likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:39 pm

Until adult-only cabin is a thing, I always do the following:

1. Use 3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neons earplugs when I try to sleep. They have an NRR of 33 dB, and are more comfortable than the Mack's.

2. Use Bose QC20 earphones when I listen to music or watch movies.

3. Use 3M Peltor X-series earmuffs to imply "I'm really annoyed but don't want to punch you since I don't want a fight at 35,000 ft".

Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
"What I would like to know is since when do airlines even allow infants in business class?"

Unbelievable !!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by ryan182
Setting aside the fact that someone had a fussy kid is not something that any airline would ever provide compensation for, I'm baffled at why someone would think that AA should provide some sort of CS response to something that happened onboard a JAL flight.
Unreasonable expectations by the OP all around.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
I have a question for the OP. Would you be willing to pay the airline for the loss of revenue of banning these people? What about for the legal damages they would likely face if sues or fined?

I am the father of an 8 month old who has (so far) been a good flier on 5 of 6 flights, including a 10 hour JFK to AMM flight. But on one recent AA flight from MCO to JFK the poor kid was not feeling it. I dont know what it was, but he would not stop crying. We tried every trick in the book but we were not having it.

Babies cry the same was as adults snore.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have always believed (before and after having kids) that in first class there is an expectation of more privacy and more quiet. I understand the op's annoyance, and i dont agree with babies in first class, but I dont see a banning ever happening. Sometimes its good to vent, get it out, move on and feel better
travelerguru likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:51 pm

These are small people with small Eustachian tubes and flying can be painful. Then add in a confined space while in pain and I begin to feel for the kid. I will be UNPOPULAR for saying this, but when my small children flew and with the approval of my kids pediatrician they were given Dimetapp that helped the ear congestion and helped them stay pain free. Yeah, it isn't just the other passengers that are miserable, your kid is miserable and there are things you can do to help. If your child has ear issues talk to your kid's Dr. and see what preemptive measures to help your baby/toddler flights a little easier. I know...."We don't drug our children" is the mantra of parents. My little darlings grew up, became professionals and don't seem to have been permanently damaged from the rare medication for flights. I think that had my child screamed all flight, the risk of damage from the pain trauma or a fellow passenger would have been much worse than a teaspoon of Dimetapp. Just Sayin'
bruceba likes this.

Last edited by Oxnardjan; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I suggest you move your travels to United, where hopefully you'll get a crew member that insists the kid is stowed in the overhead bin until it dies.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
This happened to me a couple of times on TPACs in J with a handful of babies crying in harmony pretty much the entire 12h. I asked the FA to find me some space in Y+ and UA credited me with the GPUs I had used to upgrade to J in the first place. Once I even managed to get an ELF row and was very happy with that.

I tend to get more annoyed by FAs letting toddlers run wild in J while attending to their boozing parents.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:00 pm

I have found in most of these situations, the parents are even more frustrated than the surrounding pax.
JDiver, controller1 and ashill like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by travelerguru
What I would like to know is since when do airlines even allow infants in business class?
Isn't there already another thread on this very subject?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.