Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Seat Selections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I just realized why WN is so popular among families.
funny me too. Makes sense.

Bottom line you’ll most likely have to pay up to get ajacent seat assignments on the big US three these days if you are statusless.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mortgage1
Vote with your feet
unless you have an employer paying your freight on the big 3
fly southwest, pay the$15 for priority boarding and everyone sits together
get their credit card too

Wish I could. Southwest isn't going to Hawaii (yet).

If your biggest goal is to sit together, then pay for seats together at booking, and then watch your booking like a hawk for any changes that shift those seat assignments (schedule changes, plane changes, etc). If you wait until check in, you may not have any options that are all together, even if paying for a seat assignment at that point.
Unfortunately, I think this is what I will have to start doing. Just consider it a cost of flying the big 3, like checking bags.

Also, lesson learned. I should always look to see what seats are still available before purchasing the flight. I'll prob end up paying to get MCE seats this trip as those are the only ones left.

Last edited by flyou10; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
If purchased far enough in advance, I have never seen a flight not have window and aisle seats available. But, yes, after a certain point, depending on the time period and the market, it is possible to not have any seats showing, not even middle, if you do not have status. ALWAYS look at the seat maps before booking, as it might just be useful to do Basic Economy if you are willing to forgo the baggage issues, as you might already not have a seating choice
I just went and looked at some seatmaps and I'll take back my earlier statement--this seems to be better after the rollout of Basic Economy. There used to be seatmaps where basically every window or aisle seat was either premium or reserved for elites; I'm not seeing that anymore. So you're probably right that booked far enough in advance you would still have options.

Also agree with your general advice to check the seat map BEFORE paying for full economy. If you can't pick a reasonable seat anyway and can deal with the baggage limitation (or the fare difference is smaller than what you'd pay for the bag), Basic Economy may be a better option in some cases.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Basic Economy Fare?

Originally Posted by flyou10
I haven't flown on AA for a while. Is this normal for them? I bought rt tickets to OGG for my family of 4 ("main cabin" class). AA never once have shown a seat available for selection that wasn't associated with a fee. They said that you can wait until check-in if you don't want to pay for your seats. So now that I have checked in they have assigned us seats. One of the legs we aren't even together. I was under the impression that at check-in they opened a lot of seats up for selection? The leg that we got split up, the solo person is in 21G. You can't even move seats around it. It is showing to move to the left or right you have to pay because it is a "preferred seat" at $77 per seat. Not once since booking through now checking in has there been a seat available that didn't come with a fee. ($28 for the short 1 hr flight & $77 for the long 9hr flight).

If I got seats for our family together the cheapest way possible it would be an extra $840. $210 per person. This is absurd. I didn't know they have gone this far into forcing you to pay for a seat.

Does Delta & United do this point too?
OP, was your fare in Basic Economy (B fare class)? If so, your seats get automatically assigned at check-in and it sounds like you are not permitted to choose seats (I don't have first-hand experience, though, as I avoid this fare class). If you wanted the ability to choose from the available seats (in advance or when more open up at T-24h), then you would need to purchase a regular "Main Cabin" fare.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

You can always ask at the gate, or if you have some aisles and windows (but not all middles), ask people (nicely) to trade onboard.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
OP, was your fare in Basic Economy (B fare class)? If so, your seats get automatically assigned at check-in and it sounds like you are not permitted to choose seats (I don't have first-hand experience, though, as I avoid this fare class). If you wanted the ability to choose from the available seats (in advance or when more open up at T-24h), then you would need to purchase a regular "Main Cabin" fare.
No it was main cabin fare. It was purchased 4 months ago. OKC-DFW-OGG-DFW-OKC. There weren't ever any "free" seats to be selected at the time of booking (or since then, I've checked weekly). Then when I checked in and saw we got all sorts of split up there still isn't anything available unless we pay.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:01 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
No it was main cabin fare. It was purchased 4 months ago. OKC-DFW-OGG-DFW-OKC. There weren't ever any "free" seats to be selected at the time of booking (or since then, I've checked weekly). Then when I checked in and saw we got all sorts of split up there still isn't anything available unless we pay.
Ah, must just be that DFW-OGG is a tough route. If you're on tomorrow's 9:50a flight AA7, then there are several rows of 4 Preferred seats available, so I would see if you can get those at the airport. If you're on the 11:10a flight AA119, then there's a middle and window in row 30KL and you can snag another couple aisle seats in 33J and 35H and try to trade onboard, or get reassigned to row 21ABC + another aisle at the airport.

You're in the weird "V4" configuration that is not shown on SeatGuru, with MCE in rows 13-15, and a hard bulkhead at row 17: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29031694-post9.html
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Also, lesson learned. I should always look to see what seats are still available before purchasing the flight. I'll prob end up paying to get MCE seats this trip as those are the only ones left.
Curious, how much is AA charging for MCE on that route? It looks like it's a long flight, 7 hours or so. I'd want it for the legroom!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
I know the DFW to OGG is a popular route, but am I the only that is surprised that four months out there was not a single no extra charge seat available for selection? Not even on middle seat? That is not want I usually see although it does not impact me.

OP, enjoy your time in Maui with your family.

Last edited by jagoffee; Mar 14, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I believe AA is still blocking at least 2 rows for accommodating families and people who are split up. Ask at check-in in OKC.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I believe AA is still blocking at least 2 rows for accommodating families and people who are split up. Ask at check-in in OKC.
This.
3 to 4 of the last few rows in the middle section should be blocked, and will remain so until the airport (or gate). I would definitely ask to get put there.

I know these may be undesirable seats, but I have been thankful for airlines that do this in the case of IRROPs or just not having any other seating choice.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
There's one gate agent at OKC who's literally the most worthless human being alive. I wish I remembered his name. Don't ask him! Every time he checks me in, I have to remind him to priority tag our bags, also have to remind him that F passengers are allowed overweight bags. Dude needs to learn how to do his job. Also flat out refused to help us change seat assignments several times. Anyone else would be ok.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
There's one gate agent at OKC who's literally the most worthless human being alive. I wish I remembered his name. Don't ask him! Every time he checks me in, I have to remind him to priority tag our bags, also have to remind him that F passengers are allowed overweight bags. Dude needs to learn how to do his job. Also flat out refused to help us change seat assignments several times. Anyone else would be ok.
Most of the time, I see no benefit to priority bag tags. It is one of the most flawed elite benefits AA has.
What does he say when you ask him for a different seat?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I haven't flown on AA for a while. Is this normal for them? I bought rt tickets to OGG for my family of 4 ("main cabin" class). AA never once have shown a seat available for selection that wasn't associated with a fee. They said that you can wait until check-in if you don't want to pay for your seats. So now that I have checked in they have assigned us seats. One of the legs we aren't even together. I was under the impression that at check-in they opened a lot of seats up for selection? The leg that we got split up, the solo person is in 21G. You can't even move seats around it. It is showing to move to the left or right you have to pay because it is a "preferred seat" at $77 per seat. Not once since booking through now checking in has there been a seat available that didn't come with a fee. ($28 for the short 1 hr flight & $77 for the long 9hr flight).

If I got seats for our family together the cheapest way possible it would be an extra $840. $210 per person. This is absurd. I didn't know they have gone this far into forcing you to pay for a seat.

Does Delta & United do this point too?
It's coming... And it remains to be seen how SouthWest will influence other carriers when it comes to free bag/"seat selection" on such a long-haul domestic route once schedules get loaded and there's enough data to evaluate changes in passenger loads.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jagoffee
I know the DFW to OGG is a popular route, but am I the only that is surprised that four months out there was not a single no extra charge seat available for selection? Not even on middle seat? That is not want I usually see although it does not impact me.

OP, enjoy your time in Maui with your family.
I'm not surprised for a trip during spring break to a vacation destination. Lots of families traveling, all trying to get seats together.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by wrp96
... Lots of families traveling, all trying to get seats together.
When traveling with the in-laws, buy basic economy and it's a winning triple play:

1). The in-laws perceive you as thrifty/a FT genius for getting such a great deal on the airfare
2). Not being able to select seats together is the perfect excuse not to
3). The trip can only last as long as the number of clothes that can fit in a bag under the seat in front of you

Despite initial appearances, the travel industry occasionally gets a bad reputation for trying to do something right.

Last edited by enpremiere; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.