Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Purchased $184 flight this morning, need to change one day, $189 fee!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle

This is what drives me crazy about airlines. Charging me a change fee in excess of the value of the ticket. Not to mention, since I purchased two one way tickets, its actually cheaper to buy a new ticket altogether. How can anyone rationalize a "fee" exceeding the cost of the "service?" Insane...Been Platinum with AA but a first time flyer with Jet Blue or Southwest gets treated better than someone who has logged hundreds of AA flights...sad
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Precisely why I refrain from booking round-trips, where possible.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you booked this morning, can’t you cancel within 24 hours (unless it’s close in)?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MOD220
This is what drives me crazy about airlines. Charging me a change fee in excess of the value of the ticket. Not to mention, since I purchased two one way tickets, its actually cheaper to buy a new ticket altogether. How can anyone rationalize a "fee" exceeding the cost of the "service?" Insane...Been Platinum with AA but a first time flyer with Jet Blue or Southwest gets treated better than someone who has logged hundreds of AA flights...sad
If you’re not traveling within seven days, why not choose to use your free 24 hour cancellation right and book what you need?
jpsj likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
You're within 24 hours. Cancel it and get a full refund. Then book the new flight
nismo240ssx likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
But if you actually took the trip you'd be bragging to everyone in earshot how you worked such a great deal on the flights.

But then when you want to modify dirt cheap restricted fares the airlines are pirates.
enpremiere, Statman, Ldnn1 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Been Platinum with AA but a first time flyer with Jet Blue or Southwest gets treated better than someone who has logged hundreds of AA flights...sad
Then fly JetBlue or Southwest. Take responsibility for your own choices.
SCToni and Statman like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
You're within 24 hours. Cancel it and get a full refund. Then book the new flight
This. Or purchase a flexible ticket if plans might change - that's exactly what they're there for!
USFlyerUS, SCToni and Grog like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by rjw242
Then fly JetBlue or Southwest. Take responsibility for your own choices.
Not helpful
ft543, SK, lemfc and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You'd prefer if the ticket was $500? Were you unaware that the ticket would have a cancellation penalty? There wasn't a "I agree" to the T&C's of what you were purchasing? Are you upset the airline is applying the standard terms you agree to?

What exactly are you upset at the airline about?

Did I miss where Southwest provides complimentary upgrades to a "first time flyer" (thought that would be the same as, not "better than")
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by CPRich
Did I miss where Southwest provides complimentary upgrades to a "first time flyer" (thought that would be the same as, not "better than")
Did I miss where AA provides complimentary upgrades to Platinums?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EP
A little more info is needed because I am unaware as of a “fee” that is $189. Could it be that when u want to travel has a different fare? Because none of the fares that i am aware of have a $189 change fee.

of
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Customer buys product. Either willingly ignores or thinks clearly published policies don't apply to him/her. Customer knows there are other airlines out there, that in customer's view offer better policies. Customer chooses not to use those airlines. Customer somehow thinks airline is in the wrong.

Nothing to see here. If OP is within the terms of the 24-hour cancellation rule - do it. Otherwise deal with the clearly expected consequences of your choices.

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
A little more info is needed because I am unaware as of a “fee” that is $189. Could it be that when u want to travel has a different fare? Because none of the fares that i am aware of have a $189 change fee.
$200 change fee, and a fare that is $11 less than the originally purchased fare? That would show as an additional charge of $189 if using AA.com to change the ticket (IIRC).

(somehow, from the tone of the post, I don't think the OP is too concerned with terminology specifics of 'fare difference' vs 'change fee')
Grog and SCToni like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jpsj
Not helpful
Why not? I don't know about Jet Blue, but Southwest doesn't charge a fee for changes. You get full credit toward other flights.
Statman and Grog like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Then buy a new ticket. if you buy a $25 ticket, the change fee would still be $200.
If you don't like it, choose tickets that are refundable or fly another carrier.
This has been the norm for years.
SCToni likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.