Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booked two award seats, friend can't come, can I keep his seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

My friend and I were planning on going to India so I booked two MileSAAver tickets via AA on Etihad (IAD-AUH-COK) in economy, but he can't come anymore.

Given that I already booked the ticket could I just check him in and keep the seat next to me open? I know some people buy second tickets for their musical instruments and what not for the extra space, but I couldn't find specifics on this on the AA or Emirates websites. Not super excited about spending 20 hours cramped in economy so some extra space would be great!

Last edited by policomm; Mar 2, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reason: editing because I'm an idiot
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
When he doesn't board they can offload him in the system and use the seat.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by policomm
My friend and I were planning on going to India so I booked two MileSAAver tickets via AA on Emirates (IAD-AUD-COK) in economy, but he can't come anymore.

Given that I already booked the ticket could I just check him in and keep the seat next to me open? I know some people buy second tickets for their musical instruments and what not for the extra space, but I couldn't find specifics on this on the AA or Emirates websites. Not super excited about spending 20 hours cramped in economy so some extra space would be great!
Assume you mean Etihad?

As mentioned above, as soon as he is deemed a no-show (once the check-in window closes), they will open that seat up. If the flight is very full, odds are that the seat will get taken. If the flight is only party full, then it could stay open, you never know.

As an EXP, you can cancel your friends ticket's and get the miles and taxes refunded for no fee.
JDiver and sdsearch like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP is an AAdvantage EXP who can re-deposit award miles at no charge, I suggest he see whether a Business Class award seat has opened up from IAD to COK on either EY or QR. I would much rather spend 70K AA miles each way for one Business Class seat than 80K for two Coach Class seats on such a trip.
thunderlounge and trooper like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 28, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My friend and I were planning on going to India so I booked two MileSAAver tickets via AA on Emirates (IAD-AUD-COK) in economy, but he can't come anymore.

I would suggest looking to see whether business class is available ot becomes avaulable. 2 x economy North America to India is 80k miles plus 2x taxes , whilst a business award is 70k plus taxes. Rather than go for a spare economy seat and hope for the seat to stay empty, if business is available, pay the redeopsit fees for the economy tickets and then change to a business class ticket
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976
If the OP is an AAdvantage EXP who can re-deposit award miles at no charge, I suggest he see whether a Business Class award seat has opened up from IAD to COK on either EY or QR. I would much rather spend 70K AA miles each way for one Business Class seat than for two Coach Class seats on such a trip.
Indeed. This, in a heartbeat.
traveller99 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:40 pm

I booked two MileSAAver tickets via AA on Emirates (IAD-AUD-COK)...
The OP has not only managed to book Emirates using AAdvantage miles, but he/she has booked a route via Augustus Downs Airport in Australia.
swingaling likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The OP has not only managed to book Emirates using AAdvantage miles, but he/she has booked a route via Augustus Downs Airport in Australia.
Sometimes it's only with odd routings that you'll find availability... Kaching!
JDiver and trooper like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

Maybe there's something we don't know about EK and AA. Another poster, in the Etihad forum, is asking about EK:
Originally Posted by ezdraft
HI, I am new to this, i have to fly for business to india. It looks like two good choices are etihad and emerates. It looks like Ethihad flies through abu dabai and customs is there and the duration is slightly shorter. My question is:
I want to gain as many miles as i can, i dont think i will use any of these in the future. I have a lot of AA miles and Emirates seems to be able to transfer the miles? Not sure if its just as easy as using my AA number when i book. Ethihad has Jetblue as a partner, same questions, is it easy to just give them my true blue number? I am flying business class so will i get bonuses? Thanks for your help, R
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Maybe there's something we don't know about EK and AA. Another poster, in the Etihad forum, is asking about EK:
Pretty sure the OP meant AUH not AUD and Etihad not Emirates as EY does fly IAD-AUH and EK does not.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR

No. His seat may be given to someone else when he no-shows.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, If the second boarding pass is scanned at boarding, then the system won't flag it as a no-show and the seat won't be reassigned. However (1) this throws off the physical passenger count, if the FAs do this, and (2) as an int'l flight they'll want to verify the passport for both BPs, and that would be difficult (presumably you wouldn't even be able to get the BP without the pax and passport, unless they allow OLCI without a document scan -- and just verify at boarding). I suppose you could *try* to tell the GA that your friend couldn't make it and you'd like to use the seat as an Extra Seat. No idea the likelihood that they'll let that by - probably less than 50%. At that point I guess you could have EY uncheck the pax in and then call AA to cancel the award.

Another option would be to try for a name change on the ticket to officially set it up as an extra seat. Probably not allowed as a direct name change, you may have to redeposit and re-issue, but probably only works if there's still coach award availability. (And of course changing to one business class ticket would be the much preferred option).
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Haha either I am magic or was just really tired when typing this. I, sadly, believe it was the latter.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:39 pm

Don't sweat it...it provides harmless amusement to the geeks....(self included)... You wouldn't believe how many folks talk about flying to AUK...rather than AKL (BIG difference!!! lol HUGE!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.