Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to drop LPB / La Paz, Bolivia effective 4 Jul 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Per a reliable source of Latin American aviation news on Twitter...

She made no mention of VVI (AA currently operates a MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA triangle route), so unsure if it will stay on as a direct MIA-VVI-MIA turn or get axed as well.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The world’s largest airline keeps shrinking.....
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Out of curiosity, is it more costly to operate flights from a high altitude airport?

No idea if that would have anything to do with dropping LPB, just got me wondering.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
According to Bolivian newspaper reports, it is being replaced with MIA-VVI service:

Source in Spanish

American cites growing customer demand in Santa Cruz and decreased costs. MIA-VVI will operate on the same schedule as MIA-LPB starting July 5, although it will be flown by a "more modern aircraft" than the current 752. AA also claims the possibility of a second daily flight.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
My guess is AA wants to downgauge service but cannot find another longhaul aircraft in its fleet that can operate to LPB, one of the highest commercial airports in the world. And even with the 752, it has to depart with minimal fuel and fly down to VVI to pick up the full fuel load for the transcontinental flight back to MIA.

Also, keep in mind that the 752s are getting very old.....eventually they will need to be replaced.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flightrisk
According to Bolivian newspaper reports, it is being replaced with MIA-VVI service:

Source in Spanish

American cites growing customer demand in Santa Cruz and decreased costs. MIA-VVI will operate on the same schedule as MIA-LPB starting July 5, although it will be flown by a "more modern aircraft" than the current 752. AA also claims the possibility of a second daily flight.
What would the "more modern aircraft" be? The 763 is about as ancient as the 752, the 788 seems like too much capacity for VVI alone, and the 737 MAX...shudder. While the latter seems to be a good fit if it has the legs, I would certainly go out of my way to avoid it on a 7-hour flight. Give me a connection in LIM, SCL, or GRU anytime!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ESpen36
My guess is AA wants to downgauge service but cannot find another longhaul aircraft in its fleet that can operate to LPB, one of the highest commercial airports in the world. And even with the 752, it has to depart with minimal fuel and fly down to VVI to pick up the full fuel load for the transcontinental flight back to MIA.

Also, keep in mind that the 752s are getting very old.....eventually they will need to be replaced.
While I haven't looked at the numbers, I suspect a loaded 738 can't fly from LPB to MIA, particularly if it is carrying any cargo (not that a 738 is good for cargo). This goes back to the issue that there's not really a replacement for the 752 out there.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
What would the "more modern aircraft" be? The 763 is about as ancient as the 752, the 788 seems like too much capacity for VVI alone, and the 737 MAX...shudder. While the latter seems to be a good fit if it has the legs, I would certainly go out of my way to avoid it on a 7-hour flight. Give me a connection in LIM, SCL, or GRU anytime!
With UIO and LIM going 738 MAX, it wouldn't surprise me if they threw it on VVI, too.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
My money says MIA-VVI will be a 7M8 route on July 4.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
It will for sure be an airbus 321
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Looks like the longest flight to/from LPB now will be AV's BOG-LPB service (which I'm flying in June). Only 1514 miles and slightly under 4 hours flying time.

Chris
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: EXPLT
Services to LPB need to be performed with acft that are equipped with addl oxygen bottles due to the airport elevation. Only a handful of AA’s B752’s are properly equipped in the first place. So not just any acft can fly there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.