Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA on a "power trip"?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
On a previous flight, there were some guys obviously traveling together who were seated on an exit row. They did not pay attention to the safety talk. They had their headphones on the entire time. When the flight attendant came to them to ask them if they were willing and able to handle the responsibilities of their seats, they refused to remove their headphones and ignored her. At that point, she told them that if they could not communicate with her she would have them reseated or removed.

They removed their headphones and responded to her questions at that point.
VERY different from a pax seated in a non-emergency exit seat.

FAA requires that anyone seated in an emergency exit seat get an additional briefing and verbally respond to the question about being willing and able to perform the additional responsibilities of those seats in an emergency. Failure to do so means that the pax must be reseated before departure.

Ignoring the standard safety demo is normal, typical, and any FA needs to be used to it (although they don't have to like it). Threatening to offload pax that aren't paying attention would happen on 100% of all flights if that was the policy - which it isn't.

I've been on enough AA flights that I know to don my oxygen mask before assisting my child with theirs, that my seatbelt closes with a *click* and opens by pulling on the release, that the nearest exit may not be in front of me, the floor has lighting that will illuminate during an evacuation, that my seat cushion is a flotation device, and my inflatable vest (only to be inflated after leaving the aircraft) is under my seat. Oh, and we can't smoke anywhere on the airplane and the lavs have smoke detectors installed and I have to properly stow my carry-on under the seat in front of me.

Even when I sit in an emergency exit seat, I am tuned out for the standard demo but always take my headphones off for the exit seat briefing (which occurs before the standard briefing).
TSparky likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
On a previous flight, there were some guys obviously traveling together who were seated on an exit row. They did not pay attention to the safety talk. They had their headphones on the entire time. When the flight attendant came to them to ask them if they were willing and able to handle the responsibilities of their seats, they refused to remove their headphones and ignored her. At that point, she told them that if they could not communicate with her she would have them reseated or removed.

They removed their headphones and responded to her questions at that point.
I don't get the point of this post.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
I was flying (on a 321 with NO overhead monitors) from LAS to CLT in FC. A pax was next to me in an aisle seat was not giving rapt attention to the FA giving the safety demo before take off, she briefly spoke with her husband in the seat across the aisle. The FA came up to her seat: "do you want the flight to return to the gate?" Prior to departure she order AA "champagne" as her PDB. After the safety demo was completed that FA took drink orders for after t/o, she asked for more champagne--he refused her request..."no more champagne for YOU".

I had an FA who came up to me in F as I was looking out the window and pointed at me to pay attention - I've been on flights where people have been talking loudly on their phones during the briefing and the FAs did nothing. Definitely sounds like a power tripping FA -- although I find 98% of the time the FAs give the demonstration and without calling anyone out unless they are being egregious in whatever they are doing.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
Wait...they serve champagne on LAS-CLT? Was the woman at all beligerant, rude or otherwise did something besides not pay attention to the safety demo? Did she exhibit any signs of drunkenness that the FA decided to cut her off? After all, it was a flight originating in LAS so .... anything's possible.
Even on INTL BC flts, where they serve bubbly from a bottle listed as Champagne, if you had (just) come from an AA FLAGSHIP lounge: Bollinger or Taittenger Champagne, you would have been spoiled.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Oh boy not the safety demo! I jest, but honestly as long as you are not disrupting it for others, who cares? I and many of you have sat and heard those things so many times I could recite it in my sleep. In fact, one day playfully with the FA who nicely scolded me for not listening, I actually recited it for her in a friendly banter. She told me she'd give me a job! Fortunately she was nice about it and not on a power trip.

One of the best flights I had recently was CLT-PHL where I sat next to a commuting FA. She was very talkative to me and we talked the whole flight about FA life. So many FA's get just as annoyed with the snarky/power hungry one's as we do. She said often times you learn the ones who are like that and they avoid bidding a trip with them.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
^^^^^
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
One of the best flights I had recently was CLT-PHL where I sat next to a commuting FA. She was very talkative to me and we talked the whole flight about FA life. So many FA's get just as annoyed with the snarky/power hungry one's as we do. She said often times you learn the ones who are like that and they avoid bidding a trip with them.
Now if they will only post a list of who they are and their monthly flight assignments on AA.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.