Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare - Chicago Tribune

Highlights:
Deal close for new $8.5B terminal to replace the old Terminal 2 to be shared by AA & UA
Net increase of 35 gates (speculated to be grabbed by AA & UA)
150 foot wide concourses and 3.1M sq/ft of new terminal space
Customs/ Immigration
50,000 sq/ft lounge for each
8 years of construction to look forward to

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: Clarify headline
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
As I understand it the new terminal is for international flights and AA domestic will stay in T3. It will mean that you can make connections by walking air side and aircraft will not have to be towed across from T5. Similarly UA domestic will stay in T1 with international in the new terminal.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare - Chicago Tribune

Highlights:
Deal close for new $8.5B terminal to replace the old Terminal 2 to be shared by AA & UA
Customs/ Immigration
It's about time! Sounds like A380s are coming to ORD "The 55-year-old Terminal 2 would be torn down to make way for a new “Global Terminal” with wider concourses and gates to accommodate the larger aircraft that embark on international flights to places like Hong Kong and Dubai."
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Here's what it'll eventually look like:

Looks like a building is getting demolished to turn the 5 new gates in the L concourse into 8 with a wraparound.

Hopefully with Alaska's codeshares on AA out of ORD, they continue to sublease gates from AA instead of moving to LCC land at the end of T5.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

Highlights:
Customs/ Immigration

This is a very interesting article describing the history of expansion recommendations and the power UA/AA held over the authority.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
As someone who's home airport is O'Hare (and, on occasion, Midway), I'll be very happy to see this happening, even if it will turn O'Hare into a giant Charlie-foxtrot while they're building the new Terminal 2. I don't frequent the United side, but the American gates are in desperate need of updating and more space (not to mention the fun of "they didn't clean, provision, and tow the plane over from Terminal 5 in time" delays on widebody flights).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Opening in 2124 is more likely
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the negotiations conclude as hoped, it eliminates the T3 <—-> T-5 trek. Let us hope ORD becomes the third Airport to offer ITI baggage through-checking (as currently offered in DFW, MIA) so AA, AY, BA, CX, IB, QR and other interline partners could offer ITI from Asia, Europe or Middle East onward to S. America, etc. (Even better would be airside flight connections separate from immigration, but that almost seems too much to hope, like AA declining to through check on separate ticketing.)

Airport construction being what it is, 2030?

United and American, for example, would be located in the Global Terminal with major international partners Lufthansa, All Nippon Airways, British Airways and Japan Airlines. Some “spoke” carriers like Delta, for example, would relocate to what’s now international Terminal 5, where customers easily could connect to KLM, Air France, Korean Air and Aeromexico.

“The non-hub airlines get their own space in Terminal 5, their own entrance, their own hotel, more club room, more paid space, they will be closer to the city. They love that,” said a source familiar with the negotiations who was not authorized to speak about them publicly. “And American and United essentially get a better internationally connecting complex, because to send passengers over to or from Terminal 5 is a pain in the .... Nobody likes that.
deeruck and george 3 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Assuming this doesn't fall through, and doesn't appear it will as UA and AA have agreed, I think this is a win for ORD. I agree with JD about how it would be nice if there could be the possibility of an ITI connection without having to do the current dance. From the looks of the design, it could be possible if allowed. I would expect a secondary security screening to take place, but that beats also having to go through the border as well.

Also the connection times look to improve as well, which is always a good thing. Now if they can actually learn from other large airports what NOT to do for border/customs processing, they could certainly make it a much more competitive choice for INTL travel. The technology and ideas are there if they would simply choose to be innovative to the process.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by JDiver
Even better would be airside flight connections separate from immigration, but that almost seems too much to hope, like AA declining to through check on separate ticketing.
Yes, surely this could be considered if aspiring to be a truly global hub. It would be nice not to have to warn my unsuspecting Mexico-bound EU colleagues to avoid routings via the US.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
Hopefully with Alaska's codeshares on AA out of ORD, they continue to sublease gates from AA instead of moving to LCC land at the end of T5.
Speculating as to what the AA-AS relationship will look like from 2024 at the earliest is rather pointless IMHO.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So if UA gets space in the new terminal, that means their Polaris lounge will open in 2034?
deeruck likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
(Even better would be airside flight connections separate from immigration, but that almost seems too much to hope, like AA declining to through check on separate ticketing.)
I'm fairly certain your government would not permit a flight connection without immigration; I've never transited anywhere that didn't have at least a cursory immigration check in transit; and we don't have it anywhere up here either (though it's pretty much a wave and welcome to Canada type of check). They could setup a dedicated flight connections immigration check though, that seems to help a lot.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by atsak
I'm fairly certain your government would not permit a flight connection without immigration; I've never transited anywhere that didn't have at least a cursory immigration check in transit; and we don't have it anywhere up here either (though it's pretty much a wave and welcome to Canada type of check). They could setup a dedicated flight connections immigration check though, that seems to help a lot.
Having done outbound Intl-to-Intl connections at both YYZ and YUL, the mechanism in place there would be a vast improvement over what is currently required. As you imply, the dedicated flight connection stream makes all the difference. The introduction of through-checked baggage at some ports of entry is a step in the right direction as noted earlier.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

If the negotiations conclude as hoped, it eliminates the T3 <—-> T-5 trek. Let us hope ORD becomes the third Airport to offer ITI baggage through-checking (as currently offered in DFW, MIA) so AA, AY, BA, CX, IB, QR and other interline partners could offer ITI from Asia, Europe or Middle East onward to S. America, etc. (Even better would be airside flight connections separate from immigration, but that almost seems too much to hope, like AA declining to through check on separate ticketing.)

Airport construction being what it is, 2030?
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Yes, surely this could be considered if aspiring to be a truly global hub. It would be nice not to have to warn my unsuspecting Mexico-bound EU colleagues to avoid routings via the US.
Originally Posted by atsak
This would be more trouble than its worth as you would need to define an entire sterile area of the airport to prevent passengers from "transiting" only to exit the terminal and not pass through immigration to enter the country. That obviously reduces the utility of those gates since they have a dedicated use. Since the US does not perform exit immigration as other countries do, I'm not sure there is any possibility beyond bags only absent a significant change in the laws/procedures governing international travel originating in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.