Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA reducing 45 Business Class seats to 37 from the “45” 777 / 772

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA reducing 45 Business Class seats to 37 from the “45” 777 / 772

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by buckybadger
I have several trips planned this year and have already selected seats in the mini cabin. Should i be changing to seats to front section? Or will they make sure i keep a business class seat because i was booked early?

I have no status.
They are simply removing 2 rows from the rear biz cabin. If you’re in rows 7-10, you’re fine.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dave_261
Fleet consistency is logical and an excellent spin. But it seems clear that over time AA has determined that they simply don't need as many premium seats as they have historically had in their fleet. PEY will muddle with the data a bit but consider the 777-200 3-class had 21% premium seats (16F/37J/194Y).

The 45J 777-200 has 45J/205Y = 17% premium seats
The current 37J has 37J/252Y= 13% premium seats
For comparison, the 788 has 28J/198Y = 12% premium seats

(Some of the Y seats are MCE, but still not a premium seat).
One seat for crew rest. So it is really 36J or 44J...I think a bold move would be to add 6J seats to make total J seats on B772 to 43J. That would be a good compromise to remove 12A and 12L and add more W seats in the same time (4W or 4Wand4Y depends on configuration).

Or just keep row 11 and remove row 12 would give B772 41J (40 sellable J on long haul) which could make a huge difference. With LCCs come to transatlantic market to steal all those low yield Y passengers, AA should try harder to defend its J market (so far no LCC is offering flatbed!) rather than fight a loosing battle to add Y seats. By adding 4J seats to 37J config would result in more upgrades and possibly temporarily lower J fares. But you would have more happy passengers and have more ability to sell more last minute J fares.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by chongcao
With LCCs come to transatlantic market to steal all those low yield Y passengers, AA should try harder to defend its J market (so far no LCC is offering flatbed!) rather than fight a loosing battle to add Y seats. By adding 4J seats to 37J config would result in more upgrades and possibly temporarily lower J fares. But you would have more happy passengers and have more ability to sell more last minute J fares.
Well, I don't do much AA across the Atlantic (mostly TPAC's,) but I recently did buy a cheap coach fare JFK-LHR-OSL for April and immediately UPG'd with SWU's, so they might be hurting for J customers. I know that my UPG's have cleared on all my TPAC segments, many even at ticketing. Plus, having flown CX PE a bunch in January, I can tell that CX is also having trouble filling up their J cabin out of HKG (did both ORD and multiple JFK flights,) with more seats than AA's 77W. Not sure that AA reducing the J cabin will make much difference for pax like me who fly midweek, paying the lowest coach fares and UPG'ing with SWU's, well except when the yearly Chinese student migration happens before and after the college term. AA would need to really reduce business class fares to make it worthwhile to buy as the options with other airlines are numerous and many times better-well, except that BA junk business class. $1500 RT last year in AA I fare for LAX-HKG/BKK/SIN etc was about right, though I preferred the QR $1500 RT BKK-DOH-LAX.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rbAA
Well, I don't do much AA across the Atlantic (mostly TPAC's,) but I recently did buy a cheap coach fare JFK-LHR-OSL for April and immediately UPG'd with SWU's, so they might be hurting for J customers. I know that my UPG's have cleared on all my TPAC segments, many even at ticketing. Plus, having flown CX PE a bunch in January, I can tell that CX is also having trouble filling up their J cabin out of HKG (did both ORD and multiple JFK flights,) with more seats than AA's 77W. Not sure that AA reducing the J cabin will make much difference for pax like me who fly midweek, paying the lowest coach fares and UPG'ing with SWU's, well except when the yearly Chinese student migration happens before and after the college term. AA would need to really reduce business class fares to make it worthwhile to buy as the options with other airlines are numerous and many times better-well, except that BA junk business class. $1500 RT last year in AA I fare for LAX-HKG/BKK/SIN etc was about right, though I preferred the QR $1500 RT BKK-DOH-LAX.
A little OT...but would you mind sharing where you found such a fare and when you booked? That's an excellent deal for AA metal across the Pacific! (QR is objectively a better overall deal, for sure, but my comment speaks more to the fact that long-haul, ex-US premium fare deals on AA metal are virtually non-existent.)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chongcao
One seat for crew rest. So it is really 36J or 44J...I think a bold move would be to add 6J seats to make total J seats on B772 to 43J. That would be a good compromise to remove 12A and 12L and add more W seats in the same time (4W or 4Wand4Y depends on configuration).
Given that AA has moved to having 37 business seats , it suggests that the airline has figured that 37 is a more likely number to sell and make a better profit on than 45. Why would it go back and add seats when it has figured that 37 is the better amount.

It wouldn't be bold to make such a change in such an instance, it would be stupid
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by dkc192
A little OT...but would you mind sharing where you found such a fare and when you booked? That's an excellent deal for AA metal across the Pacific! (QR is objectively a better overall deal, for sure, but my comment speaks more to the fact that long-haul, ex-US premium fare deals on AA metal are virtually non-existent.)
AA had this fare available for a very short time in late 2016 or early 2017. I think it had been posted in Premium Fares forum. I didn't need it but a friend of mine used it extensively (BKK/SIN/DPS) during 2017 as he's in PHX and needed some Asia time. Occasionally you can find low premium cabin fares for AA on Ctrips, but nothing lately. Or, on AA's HK site, as I usually need ex-Asia since I stopped using ex-YYZ fares.
I definitely would not pay that myself, as I don't see the value in trying to support AA in that way (actively try to keep my spend as low as possible on AA, even using UA or DL on domestic flights when they are lower, so went from $8500 spend in 2016 to $1550 in 2017 and on track for $1350 in 2018 all EXP qualifying years,) and usually stick to premium cabin deals on OW partners since they have a better product and mileage earnings, though I did use the $1800 AA I fare MAD-DFW-SCL in 2016 and low PTY business fares, before the changes given the promo mileage.

Last edited by rbAA; Feb 18, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
We also managed to book a sub $1800 fare on AA in J LAX-HKG-SIN for travel in Nov of 2016. Spent 5 enjoyable days. Recall the fare showed on a Wed am in Sept but was gone in like 4 hours.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:45 pm

The seat map for my JFK-LHR flight in June is still showing the 45J seats followed by MCE. I was able to select MCE seats in row 14 (still 9 across). Should I be prepared for this to change? I'm assuming PE gets put in and MCE moves further back. I switched from a 77W flight to this seeing the better configuration. But, now realize it may not be any better in the end.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by simon562
Should I be prepared for this to change?.
Yes. The first of the 13 772's with 3-3-3 MCE remaining is being refitted now. They should all be done by June.
JDiver and controller1 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
So I'm getting ready to redeem some AA miles for the first time ever (DL hub captive) and I have spent the last ~75 minutes trying like hell to figure out where I can get reviews/info on this odd 772 configuration I'm seeing.

From the top of this thread it looks like this is a new config from AA, but no seat expert, no seat guru, NO ONE seems to have any info on this 37 J seat configuration.

So I would like to respectfully request the assistance of the AA gurus over here for your suggestions on best J seat on this strangely configured bird (I've got another 3 hours on my hold

Deets: I'm headed DFW-FRA tomorrow afternoon and I've got my award on hold. There are only 7 seats left up front, though all in the mini cabin with the exception of 5L. We've got 9A in the lefthand side of the mini-cabin, 10L on the righthand side and 7D+7H & 10D+10H.

My sincerest thank you in advance!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
As far as I know, the only differences would be center section vs window, whether there is a window, and whether you are right next to a lav. Not even sure that there is a seat with a misaligned window on this like there is on a 77w. If traveling do, I’d snag 5l until I got more intel, no reason to hold up ticketing.

if the window is misaligned, still better than the center section. Row 10 is right next to coach, row 7 is closer to the lav.
I’ve only been on 3L on this plane. I will say that the section that will be marketed as PE is nice for coach with little leg rests which are a big deal for me.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 28, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
So I'm getting ready to redeem some AA miles for the first time ever (DL hub captive) and I have spent the last ~75 minutes trying like hell to figure out where I can get reviews/info on this odd 772 configuration I'm seeing.

From the top of this thread it looks like this is a new config from AA, but no seat expert, no seat guru, NO ONE seems to have any info on this 37 J seat configuration.

So I would like to respectfully request the assistance of the AA gurus over here for your suggestions on best J seat on this strangely configured bird (I've got another 3 hours on my hold
37J vs. 45J is the same with two less rows of J on the 37. Beyond that, the difference is figuring out whether it's an all-forward facing SuperDiamond seat (in which case all seats are identical), or the alternating forward-backward custom Zodiac seat, in which case there are various additional considerations (differing shoulder room, shoulder harnesses, "motion over the ocean", and dividers. 45J is all Zodiac, and the 37Js are a mix. Usually the AA.com seat map will tell you which version you're planned to be on, if Zodiac you'll see the backward-facing seats.
And I'm sure there's a thread on here with more specific discussion of the SuperDiamond seat. But generally they're all the same. [The Super Diamond thread is linked below]

Last edited by ijgordon; Feb 28, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: Correct mistake
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota

Deets: I'm headed DFW-FRA tomorrow afternoon and I've got my award on hold. There are only 7 seats left up front, though all in the mini cabin with the exception of 5L. We've got 9A in the lefthand side of the mini-cabin, 10L on the righthand side and 7D+7H & 10D+10H.

My sincerest thank you in advance!
DFW-FRA is a 37J 772 route. It looks like today's frame is N787AL, which is a Super Diamond (all fwd facing) plane. Tomorrow's (1 March) AA70 is also a Super Diamond plane (planned).

You can find more relevant info on that plane in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...t-seats-7.html
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ijgordon
37J vs. 45J is the same with two less rows of J on the 37. Beyond that, the difference is figuring out whether it's an all-forward facing SuperDiamond seat (in which case all seats are identical), or the alternating forward-backward custom Zodiac seat. 37J historically was all SuperDiamond (and the 45Js are a mix), although per this thread they'll be reconfiguring some of the 45J down to 37J so it will be possible at some point to end up in a 37J with the Zodiac seat. But I don't believe that's happened yet.
And I'm sure there's a thread on here with more specific discussion of the SuperDiamond seat. But generally they're all the same.
There were several 37J with Zodiac seats prior to the switch to SuperDiamond. 45J are not a mix. They are all Zodiac.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akarneboge
There were several 37J with Zodiac seats prior to the switch to SuperDiamond. 45J are not a mix. They are all Zodiac.
D'oh, was totally backwards. Like the seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.