Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA reducing 45 Business Class seats to 37 from the “45” 777 / 772

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA reducing 45 Business Class seats to 37 from the “45” 777 / 772

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The 45J config was the original plan; US Airways executives reduced that to 37. They’ve likely been targeted for some anger by “downgraded” passengers scheduled for 45J birds when equipment substitutions inserted a 37J bird into the schedule, as well as some upset among Dispatchers and cabin crew.

They’ve now decided to standardize the fleet as much as possible, without spending significant money for 104 new Super Diamond seats (and attendant spares). As a small bonus, they get 104 spare seats - Zodiac and AA are done with seat contracts for now, and I’m imagining with the “make me a one off cheaper version” seat fiasco they may never have gotten much in the way of spares.

Much of this could have been avoided if the discount mentality had been shelved and the best in class 77W Zodiac Cirrus seat had been ordered and the entire 777 fleet standardized for Business Class seats, but AA passengers apparently weren’t worth it. SMH. That mentality won’t admit mistakes or order additional B/E Super Diamond seats.
Wasn't the Zodiac deal a LAA fiasco? Not sure it's fair to hold LUS management's feet to the fire on that one.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Wasn't the Zodiac deal a LAA fiasco? Not sure it's fair to hold LUS management's feet to the fire on that one.
I’m not. Discount thinking is discount thinking, regardless of whether the decision makers were LAA or LUS. Someone decided it would be brilliant to cob up a cheaper model because the class-leading Zodiac Cirrus was too good for us, the flying hoi polloi. My post made no implications about who that person was nor which airline they worked for, merely stated my opinion about the mentality involved.

LUS Exec staff is responsible for the decision about reducing the 45J to 37J; I can see their points and agree. (Upgraders will be unhappy, but others will be happy they didn’t unknowingly select seats on the 45J that don’t exist on the 37J swapped in on their flight at last moment.)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Discount thinking is discount thinking, regardless of whether the decision makers were LAA or LUS. Someone decided it would be brilliant to cob up a cheaper model because the class-leading Zodiac Cirrus was too good for us, the flying hoi polloi. .... merely stated my opinion about the mentality involved.

LUS Exec staff is responsible for the decision about reducing the 45J to 37J; I can see their points and agree. (Upgraders will be unhappy, ... .
I understand discount thinking. But there is huge difference between Walmart and the late, great K-Mart. It starts with what should be a basic: Know your customers wants, needs, and desires. And respect (and sell to) those wants, needs and desires.

I honestly don't see one iota of that from AA current management, IMHO. This, once again, is IMHO, because just about every decision they have made, is beneficial to AA & AA Manglement, and neutral at best for the customer/pax.

YMMV
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger

From First to Worst.
Just another enhAAncement.....

Kudos to the many front line AA employees on keeping a professional service oriented approach to it's EP's.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I understand discount thinking. But there is huge difference between Walmart and the late, great K-Mart. It starts with what should be a basic: Know your customers wants, needs, and desires. And respect (and sell to) those wants, needs and desires.
The person buying a business class ticket wants to travel in business class. What the person is unlikely to desire is to be downgraded since the aeroplane that ends up in use has 8 fewer seats

How does it not make sense to standardise on the number of seats?
deeruck and allset2travel like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold

I honestly don't see one iota of that from AA current management, IMHO.
I think the current LUS-heavy AA management certainly has ranked the customer's wants, needs & desires below profitability and corporate efficiency.

But I do not believe the reduction of 8 total J seats on 7% of the longhaul fleet should be placed put into this category.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

I’m not. Discount thinking is discount thinking, regardless of whether the decision makers were LAA or LUS. Someone decided it would be brilliant to cob up a cheaper model because the class-leading Zodiac Cirrus was too good for us, the flying hoi polloi. My post made no implications about who that person was nor which airline they worked for, merely stated my opinion about the mentality involved.

LUS Exec staff is responsible for the decision about reducing the 45J to 37J; I can see their points and agree. (Upgraders will be unhappy, but others will be happy they didn’t unknowingly select seats on the 45J that don’t exist on the 37J swapped in on their flight at last moment.)
I guess I am just used to seeing Dougie come after the word discount.
JDiver and econometrics like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Seems like a basic idea that should have been addressed long ago when developing the fleet strategy.

Going back now and retrofitting new'ish planes seems like a big time fail.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Seems like a basic idea that should have been addressed long ago when developing the fleet strategy.

Going back now and retrofitting new'ish planes seems like a big time fail.
How is re-evaluating the number of business class seats required and then standardising a "fail" ?

Once a decision was made to reduce the number of seats, going back and adjusting the cabins with the higher number seems to be sensible to me
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:34 pm

I honestly don't see one iota of that from AA current management, IMHO. This, once again, is IMHO, because just about every decision they have made, is beneficial to AA & AA Manglement, and neutral at best for the customer/pax.

YMMV
I disagree. First, rather than use the Zodiac near-OEM Cirrus used on the 77W, AA management (well, individuals within management) were approved to try to negotiate a cheaper seat with Zodiac, resulting in the inferior one-off for AA Concept D. They saved money, but got a seat with poorer fit and finish, “Motion over the ocean” and inoperative privacy screens that Zodiac couldn’t manufacture within the contracted deadline.

This left AA with 787-8s sitting in the desert, seatless. Boeing declined to alter payment schedules, as they delivered on time and the seats weren’t Boeing’s problem.

On top of that they decided to change the number of seats. I’m sure passengers were affected by unplanned equipment substitutions, requiring some to be downgraded, resulting in unhappy passengers - paid, award or upgraded, they’d be unhappy.

AA had to find a new J seat provider after the Zodiac debacle, delaying full implementation of the all-aisle access fully flat J seat and making AA the foot dragger in implementing significantly delayed oneworld JBA agreement to offer only full flat transatlantic Business cabins. I’ll bet the Super Diamond cost more than the D grade Concept D as well.

Finally, none of this much enhanced the AA brand. IMO, in some similar scenarios, someone would have been terminated for faulty thinking abd recommendations. At least in the corporations ive worked with.

Within this context, it does make sense they chose to justify the fleet by moving to an all 37J 772 fleet.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I disagree. First, rather than use the Zodiac near-OEM Cirrus used on the 77W, AA management (well, individuals within management) were approved to try to negotiate a cheaper seat with Zodiac, resulting in the inferior one-off for AA Concept D. They saved money, but got a seat with poorer fit and finish, “Motion over the ocean” and inoperative privacy screens that Zodiac couldn’t manufacture within the contracted deadline.

This left AA with 787-8s sitting in the desert, seatless. Boeing declined to alter payment schedules, as they delivered on time and the seats weren’t Boeing’s problem.

On top of that they decided to change the number of seats. I’m sure passengers were affected by unplanned equipment substitutions, requiring some to be downgraded, resulting in unhappy passengers - paid, award or upgraded, they’d be unhappy.

AA had to find a new J seat provider after the Zodiac debacle, delaying full implementation of the all-aisle access fully flat J seat and making AA the foot dragger in implementing significantly delayed oneworld JBA agreement to offer only full flat transatlantic Business cabins. I’ll bet the Super Diamond cost more than the D grade Concept D as well.

Finally, none of this much enhanced the AA brand. IMO, in some similar scenarios, someone would have been terminated for faulty thinking abd recommendations. At least in the corporations ive worked with.

Within this context, it does make sense they chose to justify the fleet by moving to an all 37J 772 fleet.
Did all this happen with pmAA?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:37 am

I have several trips planned this year and have already selected seats in the mini cabin. Should i be changing to seats to front section? Or will they make sure i keep a business class seat because i was booked early?

I have no status.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by buckybadger
Should i be changing to seats to front section?
Yes, emphatically, if you care where you sit. Yes, if you have any anxieties over AA's ability to manage J cabin booking counts (37 vs. 45) or last-minute aircraft substitutions.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Did all this happen with pmAA?
I’m not sure; I believe the original seat purchase decision to Zodiac was probably pre-merger. We’d have to build a timeline, at least an approximate one, and try to match it with people - a difficult task, at best.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:35 am

Fleet consistency is logical and an excellent spin. But it seems clear that over time AA has determined that they simply don't need as many premium seats as they have historically had in their fleet. PEY will muddle with the data a bit but consider the 777-200 3-class had 21% premium seats (16F/37J/194Y).

The 45J 777-200 has 45J/205Y = 17% premium seats
The current 37J has 37J/252Y= 13% premium seats
For comparison, the 788 has 28J/198Y = 12% premium seats

(Some of the Y seats are MCE, but still not a premium seat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.