Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 24 hour cancellation. Can I get a voucher instead for future travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum

I have some B o A points that I will have to use in the near future but I am about $100 short on what I really want. My question:
Can I just buy a temporary ticket from AA, get a voucher (instead of a refund) within 24 hours, and then use those funds and pay the difference in cash for the flight I really need?
I would appreciate any feedback or help in this matter, PM me if necessary.

Last edited by aarato; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:08 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aarato
I have some B o A points that I will have to use in the near future but I am about $100 short on what I really want. My question:
Can I just buy a temporary ticket from AA, get a voucher (instead of a refund) within 24 hours, and then use those funds and pay the difference in cash for the flight I really need?
I would appreciate any feedback or help in this matter, PM me if necessary.
AA let's you hold paid bookings for 24 hours or more. That means they do not have to offer a refund if you cancel a paid ticket within 24 hours.
EDIT - Apparently, I missed this when it changed... ...........
" If I cancel my trip within 24 hours of purchase, can I get a full refund?
You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a full refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. You must cancel your trip for a refund.

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 15, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA let's you hold paid bookings for 24 hours or more. That means they do not have to offer a refund if you cancel a paid ticket within 24 hours.
That's not OP's issue. OP wants to "extend" the usefulness of his BofA points which are about to expire.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:29 pm

AA gift certificate?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
They do offer a refund within 24 hours.
Its usually to original form of payment. Not sure how that works if you’re “paying” with third-party points.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:48 pm

Using BoA points is likely ticketed by a third party and not AA. Their rules would govern.
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

They do offer a refund within 24 hours.
Its usually to original form of payment. Not sure how that works if you’re “paying” with third-party points.
I see that now. In the past, it didn't work that way.
I missed the change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.