Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Upgrade Award (miles + copay) Copay if only "Domestic" segment clears

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:33 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

Flying JFK-LAX-OGG with JFK-LAX looking much more likely to clear than LAX-OGG (currently J0). For Upgrade Awards (miles + copay), the copay is $175 for Hawaii routes vs the usual $75 for domestic routes. It's been several years since I last flew this route, but I thought I recalled that if only the domestic segment clears, there is a way to get it charged (maybe ex post facto) as a domestic upgrade with $75 copay. However, AAgent who just booked my request indicated that because itinerary includes Hawaii, it can ONLY be done as a Hawaii upgrade with $175 copay, even if I were to only request for the domestic segment (since LAX-OGG isn't going to clear anyways).

Anyone else have direct experience with this? Thanks.

(Unfortunately, can't use BXP1s for this due to fare restrictions)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did you HUCA?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Did you HUCA?
LOL, no because it was late and I just wanted to get the requests in and go to sleep, but yes, I should do!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dstan

(Unfortunately, can't use BXP1s for this due to fare restrictions)

You may be able to call the meeting services desk for this. They may be able to do an upfare to an eligible class for you for the JFK-LAX segment of your trip, then apply the BXP1.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Circling back, it took a few additional rounds of HUCB (), but eventually this got set up properly, with both the "domestic" and "Hawaii" segment upgrades requested, independently of one another, with copay to be determined based on what cleared.

Both JFK-LAX segments ultimately cleared and I was charged the correct $75 copay per upgrade. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.