Wiki Posts
Search

Got EQM’s on AA award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
Got EQM’s on AA award ticket

Never happen before but I got EQM’s on an award ticket. Also segments but on EQD’s only the taxes cost dollars as it was BA metal. Anyone have that happen. Obviously not complaining just curious.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikeinmiami
Never happen before but I got EQM’s on an award ticket. Also segments but on EQD’s only the taxes cost dollars as it was BA metal. Anyone have that happen. Obviously not complaining just curious.
No never seen that before and that it was BA is even more curious since I'd expect given how close AA/BA are they'd understand each others booking codes. Did you do a AUP on BA by chance? Also was "but on EQD's" supposed to be "but no EQDs"? It might stick but if you are counting on those miles to requal I'd be cautious in case they notice at some point and claw them back.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Miles on award tickets for flights operated by BA were not uncommon before the decoupling of earned miles and qualifying miles. I wouldn’t worry too much about them catching it.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Yes, This has happened to me on a J booking. EQDs are based on the BA earning rules, so % of flown distance rather than any real dollar amount.

It also frequently happens on BA flights when you buy an upgrade (with cash or Avios) and earnings are related to the upgraded cabin not the purchased cabin.

I don't think anyone should rely on this, but last year it got me two extra SWUs by taking me over 150000 EQMs.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Cool! Go buy a lottery ticket - lucky day

I once had a MH flight booked using miles credit after I got an Opup. Weird, but thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, it has been reported, If rarely, something happened and EQM were awarded. And a few reports, iirc, over the years of EQM of award miles being clawed back, but perhaps, iirc, more for AA flights that were misattributed.

You earned no EQD on any taxes (or airport fees). You may be credited EQD for BA’s YQ fees, “carrier imposed fees”, or by percentage of miles flown, depending on marketing airline.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Happened to me last year when my AA flight to LHR was delayed. BA put me on a later connecting flight to MUC and coded it as a revenue ticket which awarded me miles.

I was also booked on AAs 777W LHR-LAX earlier in the year on a paid ticket in business. Used a SWU upgrade in F, but the flight ended up being canceled. BA put me on one of their flights in first class and I was awarded mileage for a full BA F class ticket

I guess we get lucky sometimes
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Yep. It happens.

Often.

Just just keep quiet and all will be okay.

(It’s REALLY nice when you’re flying BA First Class on an AA award ticket and it happens )
cheltzel likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Delete.

stupid mobile site.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:39 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Is there any reason to bring this up ? Once in a blue moon this happens, be happy or is the OP expecting a gold star from AA ? They will eventually fix this, but with OP's help perhaps sooner than later.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
If American could not have this type of glitch occur they would. If they claw it back no issues by me as I have no serious concerns of getting to EXP this year as I live out of a long haul suitcase including now sitting at IST heading home from MNL and no I am not on this trip on a OW carrier but I do think TK is pretty good in business all be it not Qatar.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Just happened to me on a one way business class award ticket on BA from CPT-JNB-LHR-SEA. 2804 EQD and 16817 EQM, plus about 20k RDM. Was stoked.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Had 2 short haul BA flights in January, on an AA award ticket, that picked up EQM and EDQ (for the YQ surcharges). Also some RDM. It was small peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but still cool to have it post!

Now, to book a BA F award?......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.