Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best First Connection options for ATL-SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Connection options for ATL-SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by chrisjpl
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Although I'd be happy to change several times if necessary to get a good experience and miles outcome, I'm travelling with my other half who's not so keen on that kind of thing! I would like to try the JFK-SFO premium product though, so I'll try to sell her on an early ATL-x-JFK flight, and then a few hours in Manhattan before a later JFK-SFO.
In this case, best to fly ATL-LGA nonstop, spend some time in New York, and then take the JFK-SFO.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I have been doing this route for past six weeks, have found the connection through Phoenix to be the most convenient
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)
Thanks everyone - we've booked for ATL-LGA and JFK-SFO, with the 3-class First product on the trans-continental leg.

Incidentally, it'll be my first ever experience of LGA; I think I've probably heard more consistently BAD reviews of it than of any other airport in the world (and I've travelled through FIH!), so I'm actually quite curious to see for myself why people hate it so much...!
cedric likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Thanks everyone - we've booked for ATL-LGA and JFK-SFO, with the 3-class First product on the trans-continental leg.

Incidentally, it'll be my first ever experience of LGA; I think I've probably heard more consistently BAD reviews of it than of any other airport in the world (and I've travelled through FIH!), so I'm actually quite curious to see for myself why people hate it so much...!

I am surprised nobody on this thread has brought up that September is peak Atlantic hurricane season.
We've been having those every year lately.
The most affected AA airports are usually MIA. Then possibly CLT or JFK.

A hurricane can disrupt the whole AA network, true.
BUT, IME, of all routes, the least disrupted one for the OP's scenario would be ATL-LAX.

For that reason, I'd go atl-lax-sfo,

I know OP has bought ticket, but if hurricane irrops are a concern, its still within 24 hours of booking and ticket can be changed for no charge.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I am surprised nobody on this thread has brought up that September is peak Atlantic hurricane season.

BUT, IME, of all routes, the least disrupted one for the OP's scenario would be ATL-LAX.

I know OP has bought ticket, but if hurricane irrops are a concern, its still within 24 hours of booking and ticket can be changed for no charge.
AA is usually good about offering flight changes in advance of serious weather events. If you react quickly after one is declared, I've found that finding an alternate (and sometimes better) route is relatively easy.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:52 pm

What are you planning to do with your bags?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What are you planning to do with your bags?
Current plan is to use a service called Free Your Arms - that would meet us at LGA to take our bag, and then drop it back to us at JFK later in the day. I've seen generally good reviews of it so far.

It's $35 per bag (USD) for that same-day service, but I think we'll only have one big bag so it's not too much to spend.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by carlosdca

Flying ATL-NYC-SFO in September, I can think of about a million things I'd be worried about before I'd base my travel plans around the minute chance of a hurricane irrops situation in NY.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Flying ATL-NYC-SFO in September, I can think of about a million things I'd be worried about before I'd base my travel plans around the minute chance of a hurricane irrops situation in NY.
I don't think it is so much about JFK.
But it seems to me that during system collapses the short hops on smaller planes operations get most affected.
Storms do happen every year around that time.
I wouldn't call it a minute chance. Remember Sandy? Harvey? Katrina?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:23 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
The itinerary using both DL and AA could be on the same PNR, given the airlines’ interline agreement has been normalized.

I don’t believe there’s an airside connection between the AA and DL terminals.
Is that true? I thought it was just IRROPs?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I did some googling after JDiver's post, and it seemed to me that it's just IRROPs.

Potentially the interline agreement does mean that you could check your bag through theoretically if you had a ticket that included DL ATL-JFK and AA JFK-SFO, but I couldn't find any way in practice that you could actually ever book a ticket that combined the two airlines for that route like that.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There are gobs of options on this. Are you looking simply to earn miles, enjoy the experience or get from A to B?

If you're worried about status, I'd find itineraries that maximize your earning which would eliminate DFW and ORD because neither get you any type of bonus for flights of under 500 miles being "rounded up". Nor does PHX which you didn't mention at all.

LAX is a good option as you'd get a pretty premium service since it is (AFAIK) treated as a transcon with better meal selections. On top of that, you get the 500 miles for the shortish hop from LAX to SFO.

CLT is a good option from the standpoint of getting the 500 additional EQMs and "backtracking" east to CT before flying west. Downside to CLT is you'll probably get an A320 or A321 and you will be power starved by hour 4.

Good option would be MIA which gives you the 500 miles to MIA and a nice 2580 miles to SFO. You'll get either a 737 or 32B which means power. Downside is flying through Miami in September.....the height of hurricane season.....

Flying through PHL gets you a lot of miles with an extended backtrack but you're going to be on a US A321 which means no power.

Flying through PHX probably means US equipment and a lack of power. Its also the second lowest mileage earning routes.

Finally, you could do JFK which allows you to fly the A321T which is a very nice ride. Only problem is that AA does not fly ATL-JFK nonstop which means either a double connect (ATL-CLT-JFK-SFO or ATL-DCA-JFK-SFO or ATL-PHL-JFK-SFO). Or you fly to LGA and do a manual ground connection. Not an easy feat.

I'm not sure if you could even price out ATL->SFO via New York. Might have to book separate tickets.

I'd vote for ATL-LAX-SFO and then ATL-MIA-SFO and then ATL-NYC-SFO

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Feb 7, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be flying ATL-SFO in September, and I'm planning to book First with AA. I know the route's not direct, but I want to book AA rather than UA/DL because I'm going to be *very* close to the cut-off at the end of this year for renewing my QF PlatinumOne.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
There are gobs of options on this. Are you looking simply to earn miles, enjoy the experience or get from A to B?

If you're worried about status, I'd find itineraries that maximize your earning which would eliminate DFW and ORD because neither get you any type of bonus for flights of under 500 miles being "rounded up". Nor does PHX which you didn't mention at all.
<snip>
CLT is a good option from the standpoint of getting the 500 additional EQMs and "backtracking" east to CT before flying west. Downside to CLT is you'll probably get an A320 or A321 and you will be power starved by hour 4
OP is chasing QF top level status, so AA status earning rules are not relevant.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
The interline agreement is 100% just IRROPs, no purchasing of a single ticket with a DL/AA combo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.