Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award travel in Premium Economy? (not yet - implementation 24 Jan 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT

If Premium Economy is available on flight, is there a way to book the seat using miles?
So far when looking at flights DFW-HNL, the only options are Economy / Business/First.
Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
If Premium Economy is available on flight, is there a way to book the seat using miles?
So far when looking at flights DFW-HNL, the only options are Economy / Business/First.
Thanks
There is no award chart for PE. That is why you dont have such option. Until AA changes its award chart to include PE, it is not possible to book it regardless the plane has such class.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Happy
There is no award chart for PE. That is why you don't have such option. Until AA changes its award chart to include PE, it is not possible to book it regardless the plane has such class.
Thanks. I thought maybe I was missing something but apparently not.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
There is no award chart for PE. That is why you dont have such option. Until AA changes its award chart to include PE, it is not possible to book it regardless the plane has such class.

Has AA given any indication on the timetable for this? For ravel to S. America, if the economy mileage (one-way) is 30,000, 57,500 for business, then I would hope premium economy would be much closer to 30,000 than 57,500. Maybe 35,000. After all, right now PE is as low as just $100 more than an economy seat.

I have a few award trips already this year, and am hoping to upfare to premium economy.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
how many flights in their system even have this now? What, three planes?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
how many flights in their system even have this now? What, three planes?
According to the AA Fleet Site, 58 planes now have premium economy. All of the 787-9s, most of the 772s, one of the 773s, and some of the A330s.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Has AA given any indication on the timetable for this? For ravel to S. America, if the economy mileage (one-way) is 30,000, 57,500 for business, then I would hope premium economy would be much closer to 30,000 than 57,500. Maybe 35,000. After all, right now PE is as low as just $100 more than an economy seat.

I have a few award trips already this year, and am hoping to upfare to premium economy.
I wouldn't be so eager to see this happens. While your scenario is very nice, I would expect PE to be more expensive (even though having flown in it, PE is just meh).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:04 pm

Anyone have an update on this issue? At this point, I would be willing to pay for the upgrade from mce to premium economy on an award ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
I'd expect the award mileage to be loser to the J or F miles considering how much they charge for it.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elperro
I'd expect the award mileage to be loser to the J or F miles considering how much they charge for it.
Really? I see it significantly cheaper than the competition on the few itineraries I’ve looked at.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At some point in the future, I believe AA will allow redemption in AA and partner airlines’ Premium Economy. That’d be good news.

That may be the time AA treats PE as a separate class of service. That’d not be good news.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only bad news really pertains to upgrades.
If they keep the mileage requirement and copays (25k+$350) and only allow Y-PE and PE-J, then yes, that's definitely bad.
But if they cut back either the mileage or the copay, arguably it's not so bad. Still probably costs more to get into J than today but if your J upgrade doesn't clear you don't have to die in coach.
For SWUs, they could still, say, allow 2x SWUs to get from Y to J, and maybe they give EXPs 6 as a base. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Devil will be in the details.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The only bad news really pertains to upgrades.
If they keep the mileage requirement and copays (25k+$350) and only allow Y-PE and PE-J, then yes, that's definitely bad.
But if they cut back either the mileage or the copay, arguably it's not so bad. Still probably costs more to get into J than today but if your J upgrade doesn't clear you don't have to die in coach.
For SWUs, they could still, say, allow 2x SWUs to get from Y to J, and maybe they give EXPs 6 as a base. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Devil will be in the details.
Absolutely agree. But... I’m not expecting much love or generosity from this new AA.

I do think many will be happy when we see PE awards using AA miles possible. Given awards are one way, PE might be good for west to east redeyes - or for those using Biz awards for those, for the daytime long haul back.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Really? I see it significantly cheaper than the competition on the few itineraries I’ve looked at.
You are right not that expensive. My LAX-PEK was only around $300 more RT than the lowest econ fare. CX for example is 2x or more the lowest econ.

For example BOS-HKG 8/24 - 8/27 AA Y+ is $400 more RT than normal Y. CX Y+ is $1000 more than AA Y+ fare.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Austin to Kona in January:

Coach: $956
Better Coach: $1707
First Class: $2060

I'd bite the bullet and pay for FC in that scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.