Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is This Normal for First? (poor service, ran out of alcohol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist

On a positive note, the attendants at the Admirals Club are amazing and went out of their way to point out there was no one on the upgrade list for my recent flight from ORD - CUN. As a newly Gold status member, I used my 500 mile upgrades, and was upgraded to First. I've used miles to buy tickets in first before and was always impressed by the service.

For starters the flight boarded 10 minutes early, no biggie, and boarding was totally complete about 20 minutes before departure, so instead of asking us if we needed anything, the one FA in the front literally asked the other "What do we do," and proceeded to chit chat with the other FA. Considering this was a 3.5 hour flight I wasn't too upset about not being offered a PDB. Once we were on our way the FA asked folks what they wanted to eat. Somehow several couples were not seated together so many of us offered to switch seats before takeoff. This confused the FA and she literally accused/scolded the woman next to me of asking for two meals, when all she did was ask for one of the food options. Ok. Still not a big deal I thought.

Once the drinks started coming, I let go of the few hiccups thus far. Less than an hour in the flight they were completely out of vodka and champagne, which I could see happening on a short 1.5-2.5 hour flight but really? Again, at this point I was still fine, but the fact that the FA didn't even ask people if they wanted anything instead was not the greatest. She delivered the food, and after asked my seatmate but not me if I wanted another drink, and was gone for 30+ minutes. I noticed the other FA would frequently transit between coach and first to share more gossip, I thought to ask her for a drink and she said that the other FA would need to. After waiting 30 more minutes, I walked up to see the FA sitting and texting on her phone, and kindly asked for a rum and diet. She said "It'l be a few minutes," ... ok.

20 minutes later my drink arrived and it had no rum. At this point my seatmate who I didn't even know was so upset with this FA that she asked if she could taste my drink, and agreed there was no rum. I asked the FA if there was rum and she said yes, and that they were low on spirits. Ok. I then ordered a beer (thinking how could you mess that up) and my seatmate asked for a red wine, to which the flight attendant said "What about red wine?!" My seatmate just said forget it, and was visibly upset. 20 minutes later a full to the brim glass of red wine was flung to my seatmate and spilled pretty much everywhere. The beer I was given basically exploded on us.

I often get a better level of service in coach, so I have two questions: 1. Is AA domestic First usually bad (i.e. runs out of beverages early in the flight and overall rude service) even on longer 3+ flights? Again, I am an understanding person, but even other passengers were upset. 2. Would AA consider refunding my 3x500 mile upgrades?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
This poor level of service is irregular, IMHO. Most of my experiences in AA domestic F are average to good, with a few great experiences and a sprinkling of terrible ones.

You might get your 500-mile stickers refunded if you ask. They've done it for me in the past when the plane was not cleaned adequately. From your description, the service indeed sounds poor - I would write in.

AA Customer "Service" is another story. There's always a chance you might get a shoulder-shrug canned response as a reply.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by AAdamE
On a positive note, the attendants at the Admirals Club are amazing and went out of their way to point out there was no one on the upgrade list for my recent flight from ORD - CUN. As a newly Gold status member, I used my 500 mile upgrades, and was upgraded to First. I've used miles to buy tickets in first before and was always impressed by the service.

For starters the flight boarded 10 minutes early, no biggie, and boarding was totally complete about 20 minutes before departure, so instead of asking us if we needed anything, the one FA in the front literally asked the other "What do we do," and proceeded to chit chat with the other FA. Considering this was a 3.5 hour flight I wasn't too upset about not being offered a PDB. Once we were on our way the FA asked folks what they wanted to eat. Somehow several couples were not seated together so many of us offered to switch seats before takeoff. This confused the FA and she literally accused/scolded the woman next to me of asking for two meals, when all she did was ask for one of the food options. Ok. Still not a big deal I thought.

Once the drinks started coming, I let go of the few hiccups thus far. Less than an hour in the flight they were completely out of vodka and champagne, which I could see happening on a short 1.5-2.5 hour flight but really? Again, at this point I was still fine, but the fact that the FA didn't even ask people if they wanted anything instead was not the greatest. She delivered the food, and after asked my seatmate but not me if I wanted another drink, and was gone for 30+ minutes. I noticed the other FA would frequently transit between coach and first to share more gossip, I thought to ask her for a drink and she said that the other FA would need to. After waiting 30 more minutes, I walked up to see the FA sitting and texting on her phone, and kindly asked for a rum and diet. She said "It'l be a few minutes," ... ok.

20 minutes later my drink arrived and it had no rum. At this point my seatmate who I didn't even know was so upset with this FA that she asked if she could taste my drink, and agreed there was no rum. I asked the FA if there was rum and she said yes, and that they were low on spirits. Ok. I then ordered a beer (thinking how could you mess that up) and my seatmate asked for a red wine, to which the flight attendant said "What about red wine?!" My seatmate just said forget it, and was visibly upset. 20 minutes later a full to the brim glass of red wine was flung to my seatmate and spilled pretty much everywhere. The beer I was given basically exploded on us.

I often get a better level of service in coach, so I have two questions: 1. Is AA domestic First usually bad (i.e. runs out of beverages early in the flight and overall rude service) even on longer 3+ flights? Again, I am an understanding person, but even other passengers were upset. 2. Would AA consider refunding my 3x500 mile upgrades?
Sounds like you got a really horrible crew. I would certainly complain. It's also rare to see them that low on spirits - might have been a catering issue. Usually a friendly AA crew member will go back to coach to get some wine or other item if it's run out in F.

PDBs from LAA crew, especially on international are usually just water and OJ or nothing. It's unfortunate. In the air, though, the vast majority of FAs I've had are proactive and friendly about refilling drinks and checking on folks. You might get a miles offer if you just complain, I think it's worth it to ask for your certs back based on your experience, if there's value there, or take miles if they are more valuable to you.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It sounds like the flight was short-catered on alcoholic beverage supplies. That’s not anything the FA can do anything about.

It also sounds like an exceedingly poor FA - Tweet (best method) details if you would, because this is not the norm and this FA should, IMO, be retrained.

I’d personally not request my 500mile upgrades back, but I’d not be unhappy to get some miles as compensation. But my main concern would to get this FA some corrective attention.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

It does sound like the beer can was shaken just before being served. I cannot speak to intent, of course.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
It sounds like the flight was short-catered on alcoholic beverage supplies. That’s not anything the FA can do anything about.

It also sounds like an exceedingly poor FA - Tweet (best method) details if you would, because this is not the norm and this FA should, IMO, be retrained.

I’d personally not request my 500mile upgrades back, but I’d not be unhappy to get some miles as compensation. But my main concern would to get this FA some corrective attention.
OP asked for diet and rum, but all he got was diet--but the FA (it seems) passed off what she gave him was what he ordered. Yes, mis-catering can occur, but it shouldn't be kept a secret.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This is too long.....
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone, I was surprised to see how many people were on my side with this as some of the threads on here can be pretty brutal to anyone complaining about service. I got an interesting response from AA that basically says: Hey we get it, but the whole point of first class is the bigger seat, which you still got, so sorry, not sorry. Here's 5,000 Miles. Not thrilled with the offer, but understand how much AA dis-empowers its employees to make things right so I'll take that 5K and run with it.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
That sounds like reasonable compensation to me. I would say that the "champagne" routinely runs out as most domestic flights are catered with only 2 or 3 small bottles, especially if more than a few people are having it. I would also speculate that flights to CUN have greater amounts of alcohol imbibed. The FA sounded unnecessarily rude and distracted.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey we get it, but the whole point of first class is the bigger seat, which you still got, so sorry, not sorry.
Of course. AA knows why you fly. You must have been mistaken.
/sarcasm
deeruck likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:29 pm

No, this is not the norm!
brewdog11 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:53 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flightrisk
...The FA sounded unnecessarily rude and distracted.
And downright lazy!
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Thanks everyone, I was surprised to see how many people were on my side with this as some of the threads on here can be pretty brutal to anyone complaining about service. I got an interesting response from AA that basically says: Hey we get it, but the whole point of first class is the bigger seat, which you still got, so sorry, not sorry. Here's 5,000 Miles. Not thrilled with the offer, but understand how much AA dis-empowers its employees to make things right so I'll take that 5K and run with it.
​​​​​​When it is an alcohol complaint people are pretty much on the same page.
deeruck, IndyHoosier and DCP2016 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:07 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
... asked my seatmate but not me if I wanted another drink ... I thought to ask her for a drink and she said that the other FA would need to. After waiting 30 more minutes, I walked up to see the FA sitting and texting on her phone, and kindly asked for a rum and diet. She said "It'l be a few minutes," ... 20 minutes later my drink arrived and it had no rum. ... I then ordered a beer (thinking how could you mess that up) and my seatmate asked for a red wine, to which the flight attendant said "What about red wine?!"
When I read the story, I jumped to the conclusion that the passenger had consumed too much alcohol, and the FA was nicely trying to discourage the passenger from over-imbibing. Keep in mind that this is a completely uneducated guess, as I never drink alcohol so I don't know the customs, jargon, etc. But if you ask for a drink and they don't bring you one (or suggest less intoxicating drinks), that might be a pretty clear sign that they believe you've had too much already. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet who reached this conclusion. Still, you got 5K miles for it, so there's that.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The last time I flew AA was from ORD to LAX in FC courtesy of UA because we could not make UA's last flight of the day to LAX on UA metal due to mechanical delay. After that, I never flew AA again with my money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.