Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dear AA: Please Stop Giving Intl. F Seats to Non-Rev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear AA: Please Stop Giving Intl. F Seats to Non-Rev

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cova
Question - do those non-rev'ers flying in International F - do they get access to Flagship Check-in, Flagship Lounge and International First Dining? NO

Then I agree with the poster. AA should make the limited F seats they have 77W and 32T exclusively for F passengers. To upgrade you need to be in paid J. So no cheap fliers. Reward F is still revenue.

On the FA hand held, non-rev'ers show their seat location with yellow square. CK with 1/2 green and 1/2 purple, EXP are green, all other blue.

I don't think other international airlines give non-rev'ers F class - LH, EK, etc.

I have had issues flying in UA Global First (8 seats) that are just behind the galley. The senior FA's congregate in that galley and chat all day and night. Very annoying. You hear everything a group of 6 to FA's are talking about. You don't get that same think in LH F, CX F, etc.
curious... What does the handheld show for a non rev who is an exp?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Crew members in 1st class are not necessarily non-revs, they could be dead heading as well. Dead headers would be higher on the standby list than non-revs.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
No, it was not just "chattering". Please see above. And how do I come off as elitist? I paid a lot of money for an experience that was partially ruined by an annoying group of passengers who didn't pay a lot of money to be there.

You know, if they weren't so loud and annoying, I wouldn't have complained. Honestly.
OK then--but this information was NOT in your original posts. Thus my comment.

Even so, what does the fact that they are non-revs have to do with anything? You seem very clearly annoyed by the content of their conversation, not just the volume or their behavior. It really creates the impression that you're saying, "I'm special because I paid good money for this seat; how dare these free-loaders be present in my elite space!"

If your complaint was, "There were a bunch of really noisy people in the cabin with me, and I was frustrated that the crew wouldn't keep them under control" (even though you evidently did not complain to the crew) "and they seem to have been non-revs," that's a very different focus. Your complaint about the meal has nothing to do with the non-revs--I think it was even a different flight?

Whatever. I just sense a strong resentment towards having non-revs in the Biz/First cabin with you, whether they're loud or not.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by bse118
I'm so sorry that your F seat doesn't come with an guarantee of an empty cabin; and that the other people had the gall to talk.

Suggestion: What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

(Here's a thought: maybe if we want pleasant, service-oriented, in-flight crews we shouldn't begrudge them the travel perks of their job? Or try to get those perks reduced.)
BUT.... Let’s be clear. This day in age those AA employees do & can be disruptive to the cabin, not just as non-revs but even while on duty. Every recent domestic flight Ive had the entire crews (pilots & FAs) were complaining about their schedules and recent bidding for their routes.

Gone are the days of looking at this “benefit” as a priviledge the airline grants them vs. a “entitled benefit”, as in Im gonna do what I want and forget they still represent the airline and brand.

I think one root of this is airline staff flying non-rev shoukd be in uniform where applicable OR you dress in business attire with your airline ID visible.

And if I were CEO, non-rev travel is coach only! From a making money perspective I want paying customers with butts in seats whether its a fare paying passenger, someone paying an upgrade fee or using miles. Id rather upgrade a fare paying passenger to the next higher cabin of service as that creates more customer loyalty abd good will before any non-rev. It takes one non-rev behaving badly to give all of them and this benefit a bad name and bad customer perception. And yes, Ive previously worked for 2 airlines.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:26 pm

Why not make F just for their upper-branches of management flying non-rev and the rest for J? Would that really be so bad?
Perhaps next time simply ask Smithers to go hush up the flight attendants?
Cargoguy and DoTheBartMan like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Your first mistake is paying $15,000 for $15 airline food and a cramped lie flat seat.
Some airlines (not AA though) provide much more than a $15 meal in FC @$15,000. Louis XIII (Remy) Cognac in a "normal" bar costs $300 for about 1 oz. Several travel threads note that there are airlines which serve this cognac to their FC intl flyers
I've never tried this level of cognac, so it may be all "hype"--is it worth the price?
PS: A 750ml bottle runs around $3000.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I'm glad many feel the same way as I do

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I am not pleased at all with paying $15,000+ for terrible service and annoying (non-revenue) neighbors. And yes, this group of four (EZE-JFK) were flight attendants discussing their routes, schedules, and random/annoying stories. Sorry I expect a quiet, professional environment when flying first?
There are some considerate non revs out there. That behavior is so tacky. I expect a quiet cabin when flying in First Class.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't; however, is business class not good enough for their employees? Why not make F just for their upper-branches of management flying non-rev and the rest for J? Would that really be so bad?
They are entitled to that which their conditions of employment give them

If business s really not that bad, perhaps go business class and nor worry about it.

Im sure that you would expect to receive any benefits that your contract of employment entitles you to - why is theirs any less important?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Originally Posted by cova

I don't think other international airlines give non-rev'ers F class - LH, EK, etc.

[]..... You hear everything a group of 6 to FA's are talking about. You don't get that same think in LH F, CX F, etc.
The first quote is the most hilarious thing I've heard so far this year. Thanks for the laugh.

As to the second... if you think that would never happen on CX, then you're sadly mistaken.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nrr
Some airlines (not AA though) provide much more than a $15 meal in FC @$15,000. Louis XIII (Remy) Cognac in a "normal" bar costs $300 for about 1 oz. Several travel threads note that there are airlines which serve this cognac to their FC intl flyers
I've never tried this level of cognac, so it may be all "hype"--is it worth the price?
PS: A 750ml bottle runs around $3000.
okay maybe $20 worth.

Also, not everyone drinks and/or drinks cognac.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
While posters may not agree with the OP, at least he got the opportunity to tell us that he flies "a lot of international F"...
I do, which is a fact that I thought would be important to add as I've flown first in QR, CX, JL, and LH
Thank you for validating the accuracy of my previous post. It's obvious why you started this thread.
so I have a pretty decent idea of what 'proper' F service should be like.
If everyone had to be quiet and speak only when spoken to, or during the "free speech" time periods approved by you, would that be satisfactory? Or does everyone need to be quiet the whole time?
CloudCoder and ashill like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I don't think the OP is complaining that there are AA employees sitting in F, but rather that these non-rev employees seem to be having a social with the working FA employees which may have led to a downgrade in overall service and at minimum created a louder more "rambunctious" cabin.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
From the non-rev guide

"All travelers are representing the company when using our Team Member Travel program, even when traveling without an employee. Knowing the guidelines and demonstrating good judgment helps to keep this a great privilege!"

Its a great benefit but ... if F, not a party bus!
I disagree with the OP on F being taken away as a non-rev benefit-- that's the airline's business. But the airlines also have a very specific code of conduct for employees while flying as non-revs. If the OP is certain that the passengers being disruptive were non-rev airline employees then there is a good case to be made to contact AA and give the specifics of the flight.

If, however, they were just other loud passengers, then expectations need to be adjusted.
ashill likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
All US airlines, and many foreign airlines, allow non-revs in first class.

I other passenger's behavior is disturbing you, non-rev or not, talk to the F/A about it. If the problem isn't resolved then file a complaint after the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I've flown AA F on the JFK-EZE 777W round-trip. F hard product is marginally better than the J on the 777W and the food is about the same. The FAs working in F vs J are a hit or miss. I have had similar experiences flying AA F on TATL routes as well. I think if you set low expectations, you won't be disappointed. And these days, I usually set my expectations quite low, whether I am flying F, J or Y.
This is a sad affair when a customer of any company of any kind of business has to have this mind set. Truly sad. I have never owned a airline but when I was working it was the mind set of every company to make sure the customer was pleased with our service without having to lower expectations.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JHIN

BUT.... Let’s be clear. This day in age those AA employees do & can be disruptive to the cabin, not just as non-revs but even while on duty. Every recent domestic flight Ive had the entire crews (pilots & FAs) were complaining about their schedules and recent bidding for their routes.

Gone are the days of looking at this “benefit” as a priviledge the airline grants them vs. a “entitled benefit”, as in Im gonna do what I want and forget they still represent the airline and brand.

I think one root of this is airline staff flying non-rev shoukd be in uniform where applicable OR you dress in business attire with your airline ID visible.

Sure. Non-rev's have the same social obligation to be respectful to their fellow passengers as you and I do. Probably more because they represent the company. But that doesn't mean they can't talk to their fellow employees or passengers. There is so much DYKWIA entitlement in the OP's posts, that I find hard to tell if the people in question were actually being rude or not.

Buying a F ticket buys you a seat and a reasonable expectation of service. It does not buy you an empty cabin. If there's an issue with the service - take it up with the purser. An after the fact screed against non-revs doesn't do anything.

Originally Posted by JHIN
And if I were CEO, non-rev travel is coach only! From a making money perspective I want paying customers with butts in seats whether its a fare paying passenger, someone paying an upgrade fee or using miles. Id rather upgrade a fare paying passenger to the next higher cabin of service as that creates more customer loyalty abd good will before any non-rev. It takes one non-rev behaving badly to give all of them and this benefit a bad name and bad customer perception. And yes, Ive previously worked for 2 airlines.
As for this - there's no evidence that the people in question took seats away from revenue pax or elites with upgrade instruments or miles. They took seats that were going to go out empty.
And if you are suggesting that you'd OP-UP folks to fill the cabin. Just no. That's a massive devaluation of my elite upgrade instruments.

And that's all I'm going to say on this thread. OP's got an ax to grind, and he's gonna grind it no matter what we say.
rjw242 and DoTheBartMan like this.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 26, 2018 at 8:45 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.