Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dear AA: Please Stop Giving Intl. F Seats to Non-Rev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Been flying a lot of international F and wow, could AA just stop? I cannot remember one flight where service was decent. Wide open cabin day before departure, only to fly out 8/8 with chatty off-duty FAs.

Why doesn't AA keep their flagship product exclusive for paying customers?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm so sorry that your F seat doesn't come with an guarantee of an empty cabin; and that the other people had the gall to talk.

Suggestion: What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

(Here's a thought: maybe if we want pleasant, service-oriented, in-flight crews we shouldn't begrudge them the travel perks of their job? Or try to get those perks reduced.)

Last edited by bse118; Jan 25, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... that is part of their compensation package for being an AA employee.

And ... I like FA's who think of travel as an adventure and get excited about it, rather than a chore. So, we benefit from encouraging their wanderlust.
IAHtraveler and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Been flying a lot of international F and wow, could AA just stop? I cannot remember one flight where service was decent. Wide open cabin day before departure, only to fly out 8/8 with chatty off-duty FAs.

You have been too harsh. In my own experience, out of the 8 seats, there are a lot of last minute upgrades and revenue bookings. Non-rev always hope for the 8 flagship seats but you are lucky to have 2-4 actually got the seats among whole AA network daily. Sometimes you watch the flight one week out and there 6 free seats. But 3 days before the flight there are full of last minute revenue booking, flight date or time change and upgrade request. By the time non-rev reach airport there are already 5 to 10 J pax waitlist for upgrades to the last remaining F seats.

What you saw people chatting with FAs might be regular flyers who likes to chat with FAs and gossip about the company so that they can write in their blogs or forums. Non-rev does not like to do chatting with FAs as they are normally conscious about travel and company guidelines (yes there is a rule about not to disrupt flight attendants work or passenger relaxing). And after waiting in airport for so long and anxious about whether they can get on flight for 48 hours the last thing they want is to waste whole flight chatting while they can finally relax in their seats.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I cannot remember one flight where service was decent.
I had a great crew out for HKG-LAX. Cabin was 8/8 though.

Because they wouldn't have a product if they kept it exclusively for customers who paid cash money for an F ticket. AA barely has their flagship international product at all any more, compared to but a few years ago. Between SWUs, awards and non-revs and actual paying customers, I guess there's justification for it. At the moment. We'll see how it goes over the next few years.

I hear flying private is nice if you don't like sharing cabins with the help and the peasantry.
3Cforme, Gerbs, jhartvu and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP complains about the service, but does not provide any facts. If there was poor service in F, OP should complain about the poor service. "Chatty" means a lot of things. If the employees were noisy, discretely ask for some peace and quiet. If they were merely "chatty" OP is in a multi-passenger cabin and it is to be expected.

The underlying issue is none of OP's business. There are a ton of threads which start with "UA / DL / AA nonrevs in premium....] The answer is the same. The seats are AA's to sell. Whether those employees were headed off to operate another flight, on vacation or whatever, is irrelevant because the seat is not OP's and it is AA's to sell, give away or leave empty.

WPFNJ (Want Private, Fly Net Jets.
LarryJ, trooper and kyanar like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I'm glad many feel the same way as I do

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I am not pleased at all with paying $15,000+ for terrible service and annoying (non-revenue) neighbors. And yes, this group of four (EZE-JFK) were flight attendants discussing their routes, schedules, and random/annoying stories. Sorry I expect a quiet, professional environment when flying first?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Mods, please feel free to delete this thread. I'm just bitter about spending money on a sub-par product.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I am not pleased at all with paying $15,000+ for terrible service and annoying (non-revenue) neighbors. And yes, this group of four (EZE-JFK) were flight attendants discussing their routes, schedules, and random/annoying stories. Sorry I expect a quiet, professional environment when flying first?
Your first mistake is paying $15,000 for $15 airline food and a cramped lie flat seat.
airmarc, atxtraveler, Burj and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Flying is public transportation, even in first class. I find noise cancelling headphones (which AA hands out in international business and first) helpful in blocking out noise. Even paying first customers can be noisy or chatty.

If you want to guarantee total privacy, either buy the entire cabin or fly private jet.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Your first mistake is paying $15,000 for $15 airline food and a cramped lie flat seat.
I completely agree.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
Flying is public transportation, even in first class. I find noise cancelling headphones (which AA hands out in international business and first) helpful in blocking out noise. Even paying first customers can be noisy or chatty.

If you want to guarantee total privacy, either buy the entire cabin or fly private jet.
I understand it is public transportation, but you'd expect better service and decent neighbors when flying first, wouldn't you?

Would you be mad if you booked a presidential suite and you find .... in the toilet, slow room service, and neighbors blasting music in the other room?
VonS likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If the seat is not purchased some way......employees get to enjoy it......deal with! That's one of the major perks for airline workers so relax dude/maam.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

I don't disagree that AA service is hit or miss. But the service isn't going to get much better whether the cabin is empty or not.

As for the routes, schedules and stuff - they may or may not be FAs. I routinely shoot the .... with FAs as an interested party.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Depending on your route, I would spend that type of money on an Asian or European carrier. I would or could never understand paying that type of money for an US based airline.
Statman, trooper and 1readyset2go like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.