Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interline with Aer Lingus? (To merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Interline with Aer Lingus? (To merge)

Purchased an itinerary through the Chase UR portal STL->ORD->DUB. STL->ORD is on AA metal and ORD->DUB is on Aer Lingus metal. I know Aer Lingus is not in OneWorld and therefore AA generally won't interline and check bags all the way through. I've also heard scenarios where they do check them through.

While it was one itinerary purchased through Chase, I see that I have separate PNRs for the AA portion and the Aer Lingus portion. I assume I'll have to recheck bags? Any chance they'll check them through? Do I have any rights here?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esterman
Purchased an itinerary through the Chase UR portal STL->ORD->DUB. STL->ORD is on AA metal and ORD->DUB is on Aer Lingus metal. I know Aer Lingus is not in OneWorld and therefore AA generally won't interline and check bags all the way through. I've also heard scenarios where they do check them through.

While it was one itinerary purchased through Chase, I see that I have separate PNRs for the AA portion and the Aer Lingus portion. I assume I'll have to recheck bags? Any chance they'll check them through? Do I have any rights here?
AA will not through check on separate itineraries/tickets (even to other OW airlines)

AA forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
OW forum Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
Click to open the wikis

Edit
The pdf was/in the wiki
Dated Sept 01 2016
Post 4 link fails
Attached Images

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 23, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:43 pm

While it was one itinerary purchased through Chase, I see that I have separate PNRs for the AA portion and the Aer Lingus portion. I assume I'll have to recheck bags?
Each airline involved in an itinerary will always have its own PNR, so that does not necessarily mean the two flights are on separate records. Look it up on AA's web pages and see if they list the whole trip. Only takes a few seconds.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In spite of the confusion, this is what AA says:

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

Code:
Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016) (link to PDF)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners and to reduce 
 baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and 
 baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Through check-in will be honored between the following carriers only:
  • American Airlines and American Eagle
  •  oneworld airlines and affiliates
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with American to a non-oneworld carrier? "Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in the same PNR." What would be the bag charges if the customer holds separate tickets in separate PNRs? American will not through check a customer’s bag, regardless if it is a oneworld carrier. The customer will need to collect their bag at the final destination on the AA ticket. They will pay for the bag on the second ticket when they recheck it. This may involve exiting the secure area, then claiming and re-checking the bags. The Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate tickets issued for each airline. International flights will usually require claiming bags, clearing customs and rechecking bags on another carrier to be continued to their next destination. What will customers be charged if we can through check the bag? The charges would depend on what tickets the customer holds in the same PNR. Do Alaska and our other codeshare/interline partners count as affiliate airlines? No, the oneworld affiliate airlines are generally the regional partners of the other oneworld carriers. If a customer held an AS ticket and an AA ticket in the same PNR we would not through check the bag. They would need to reclaim then recheck their bag with AS.
When issuing separate tickets it is important your customer be informed that American is unable to ‘through-check' bags with 2 separate tickets (PNRs) if they are traveling on American and non-oneworld carriers. This will result in an airport check-in representative collecting the required baggage fees based on each airline's established policies.

Please advise the customer to allow additional time to claim their baggage, present the required travel documents to enter the country, if relevant, and meet check-in requirements for the connecting flight. The Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate tickets issued for each airline.

Link

(One PNR can be comprised of several tickets - up to 16, if memory serves.)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
When issuing separate tickets it is important your customer be informed that American is unable to ‘through-check' bags with 2 separate tickets (PNRs) if they are traveling on American and non-oneworld carriers.

Correction: AA chooses not to through-check bags in that situation. They are perfectly capable of doing so.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
While it was one itinerary purchased through Chase, I see that I have separate PNRs for the AA portion and the Aer Lingus portion.
The important part is whether you have one ticket or two. If you have two separate tickets you're out of luck. Check with Chase to see how they ticketed this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by JDiver
(One PNR can be comprised of several tickets - up to 16, if memory serves.)
There's no limit I know of as to how many tickets can be in one PNR; there is only the limitation of 16 coupons per ticket.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill

Correction: AA chooses not to through-check bags in that situation. They are perfectly capable of doing so.
True. I’m quoting what they say - “unable” means, IMO, they won’t allow their employees to do so.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Until OP gets back with the simple answer to the question of whether he has one or two e-eickets, there is no answer for him.

It's a real mistake for people to interchange industry jargon such as "PNR" when it really does matter.
JAXBA and no1cub17 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Until OP gets back with the simple answer to the question of whether he has one or two e-eickets, there is no answer for him.

It's a real mistake for people to interchange industry jargon such as "PNR" when it really does matter.
My apologies. I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm not sure how to check if it is one ticket or not. When I pull up the itinerary on AA.com, it shows both flights, including the Aer Lingus segment. When I pull it up on the Chase portal, I see one itinerary but two numbers they identify as PNR's - one for each segment. Is there a way to verify if it is two tickets or one?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:00 pm

My apologies. I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm not sure how to check if it is one ticket or not. When I pull up the itinerary on AA.com, it shows both flights, including the Aer Lingus segment. When I pull it up on the Chase portal, I see one itinerary but two numbers they identify as PNR's - one for each segment. Is there a way to verify if it is two tickets or one?
You want to look at your eticket receipt. It will list the ticket number(s). They will be 13-digit numbers, starting with 001 if it was issued by AA and 053 (I think) if issued by EI (Aer Lingus). (The first 3 numbers in the ticket number indicate the "ticketing carrier", the carrier that issued the ticket. Tickets can include flights marketed and/or operated by carriers other than the ticketing carrier; sometimes, the ticketing carrier doesn't actually operate any of the flights on a ticket.) There will be at least one ticket number per passenger. If you have multiple ticket numbers per passenger, you have multiple tickets.

Note that ticket numbers are permanent and never reused. PNRs (which are 6-digit alphanumeric strings) are used to access your reservation and are recycled eventually. There may well be multiple PNRs; each airline will have a different one for your reservation, and the reservation system may have yet another PNR. However, for a given ticket, there will be only one ticket number.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:20 pm

You want to look at your eticket receipt. It will list the ticket number(s). They will be 13-digit numbers, starting with 001 if it was issued by AA and 053 (I think) if issued by EI (Aer Lingus). (The first 3 numbers in the ticket number indicate the "ticketing carrier", the carrier that issued the ticket. Tickets can include flights marketed and/or operated by carriers other than the ticketing carrier; sometimes, the ticketing carrier doesn't actually operate any of the flights on a ticket.) There will be at least one ticket number per passenger. If you have multiple ticket numbers per passenger, you have multiple tickets.
Who cares? The OP has now reported that
When I pull up the itinerary on AA.com, it shows both flights, including the Aer Lingus segment.
So the two flights are on a single AA PNR. AA will see this and will send the OP's baggage through. Are they really going to explain to a customer that "Yes, it's on a single PNR but it's two separate tickets, so you lose---for reasons that are beyond the comprehension of any regular person?" Is there any dp of that happening?

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Who cares? The OP has now reported that So the two flights are on a single AA PNR. AA will see this and will send the OP's baggage through. Are they really going to explain to a customer that "Yes, it's on a single PNR but it's two separate tickets, so you lose---for reasons that are beyond the comprehension of any regular person?" Is there any dp of that happening?
The AA policy is
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in the same PNR
My opinion: Totally asinine and ridiculous.

But it's the policy. I don't know if there are any reports of customers trying to through-check a bag in this specific scenario (same PNR, different tickets, non-oneworld partner) and whether AA followed the policy or checked the bag through anyway. But given the policy, the OP should most definitely know whether they have one ticket or multiple tickets to be prepared.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so, maybe off topic, but how do I check if I have separate tickets or not? Typically I thought the ticket number can be viewed under the receipt on AA.com, but that option doesn't seem to be available. This is my first time booking a flight through the UR portal - I dont see any ticket numbers but is there a way to view it on there? Otherwise should I call AA?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:00 pm

The AA policy is...
I stand corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.