Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Spring Break Fares Too Expensive - Any Advice - CLT to PHX and LAS to CLT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Hello Flyertalk Community,

I am hoping for some advice on fares for Spring Break .. traveling March 30 CLT to PHX and traveling April 6 LAS to CLT - on AA direct flights .. the fares have skyrocketed from around 250 a ticket to now 678 .. should I expect fares to go down .. or should I consider other options? Fare predictions site seem to suggest waiting .. but keeps going up.

thanks
YH
Lost likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I might sit on that for a little bit and see what happens. Also try a standard r/t to either PHX or LAS instead of an open jaw. Both are $4xx. The drive between the two cities is about 3.5-4 hours one way.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Lost makes some good suggestions.

I would just like to add that in addition to spring break, your trip occurs during the Easter time period. As a result, fares will generally be more expensive, as can be seen in the fare rules with a fare surcharge on those dates. You could sit on the prices for a week or two, but I really can't foresee the prices going back down to the <$400 range.

Edit: It looks like some of the $4xx tickets are Basic Economy. So you may need to keep that in mind.
Lost likes this.

Last edited by FlyerWx; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Lost makes some good suggestions.

I would just like to add that in addition to spring break, your trip occurs during the Easter time period. As a result, fares will generally be more expensive, as can be seen in the fare rules with a fare surcharge on those dates. You could sit on the prices for a week or two, but I really can't foresee the prices going back down to the <$400 range.

Edit: It looks like some of the $4xx tickets are Basic Economy. So you may need to keep that in mind.
I haven't checked for sure, but have you tried RDU? Raleigh-Durham? Some routes are considerable less and the flights go through CLT.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:45 am

Also, if you push it back a day (3/31-4/7) that'll get you Saturday flights and will make you original open jaw (CLT-PHX/LAS-CLT) as low as $443 in basic economy (found on Kayak).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:53 am

One more thing- your trip is right after spring training ends so one way rental cars PHX-LAS are dirt cheap. Avis for one week is about $150 prepaid, or $21/day
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I don’t see the fares getting cheaper on your routing so either buy now or use the variations suggested by others.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

Well, on March 30, CLT-PHX-SFO, for example, is pricing at $299.

Hmmm...

I've been a naughty boy; I'll see myself out now.
IAHtraveler and Lost like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I'd start by searching for 2 1-ways instead of the round-trip open jaw thing.
Flying out on the Saturday brings the fare down a good bit.
So you may not get the luxury of a nonstop flight, but that's what you may need to give up to bring the fare down.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
$236 on the CLT-PHX leg right now; $189 on the return; so $425 total.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great suggestions - its amazing - prices dropped on the CLT to PHX leg to 225 only to go back up this evening - with the family coming along we are holding out for non-stops .. and trying to maximize the time with family in PHX prior to starting the real fun in LAS - already have fights from PHX and LAS so the one way rental is out of the question. But good to know spring training is ending ... I will keep trying .. and I have seen it lower ... just listening too much to the fare predictors .. should have posted here first!

YH
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:35 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Airlines are well are of the occasions when demand is sky-high. Spring Break is one of those occasions. Prices probably won't drop.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Ha, you should try going to school in Florida, and during spring break, going back home to the Northeast, and back again. Doesn't matter what airport, even MCO, fares are abysmal and I'm not looking forward to booking anything, but I have to soon...
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by yhari
Thanks to all for the great suggestions - its amazing - prices dropped on the CLT to PHX leg to 225 only to go back up this evening - with the family coming along we are holding out for non-stops .. and trying to maximize the time with family in PHX prior to starting the real fun in LAS - already have fights from PHX and LAS so the one way rental is out of the question. But good to know spring training is ending ... I will keep trying .. and I have seen it lower ... just listening too much to the fare predictors .. should have posted here first!

YH
March 30 is the Friday right before Easter Sunday, so don't hope for too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.