Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP: Standby multiple people on different PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

I know this won't get the rules changed, but wanted your thoughts on this.

Booked 4 tickets on same PNR (1 EXP, 3 no status) months ago. Last week, decided to get on the upgrade list, so agent split into 2 separate PNR's (2 passengers on each).

Was hoping to get our of RDU earlier tonight given weather issues, and there's lots of room on the earlier flight to CLT. Agent says (as I expected) that those on my PNR can get confirmed standby for free, while the 2 pax on the separated PNR can not standby, period.

I know this is the rule. But... why? This was clearly booked as one record that AA needed to split. Feels like I'm losing one status benefit (free standby) for the possibility of another (upgrades). BTW, first is full, so the upgrade isn't going to happen anyway.

Feels like this is a simple one for AA to do the right thing. Even if their IT systems require splitting the PNR, how about following the 'common sense' rule and overriding the standby for the other 2 passengers?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dave_261
I know this is the rule. But... why?
You chose higher priority for your upgrade versus standby benefit for all. 'Can't have your cake and eat, it, too,' comes to mind.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There ought to be a mechanism available for an authorized human to investigate and override the rule in this kind of situation. It won't guarantee that you'll be accommodated. The agent may find other circumstances conflict with your needs. Or they may have their own agenda.
But not even having an avenue of human intervention (or employing humans to simply voice that they have no choice because of the rules) begs the question of why not just parse and codify everything into strict binary rules and do away the human agent entirely?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I know this won't get the rules changed, but wanted your thoughts on this.

Booked 4 tickets on same PNR (1 EXP, 3 no status) months ago. Last week, decided to get on the upgrade list, so agent split into 2 separate PNR's (2 passengers on each).

Was hoping to get our of RDU earlier tonight given weather issues, and there's lots of room on the earlier flight to CLT. Agent says (as I expected) that those on my PNR can get confirmed standby for free, while the 2 pax on the separated PNR can not standby, period.

I know this is the rule. But... why? This was clearly booked as one record that AA needed to split. Feels like I'm losing one status benefit (free standby) for the possibility of another (upgrades). BTW, first is full, so the upgrade isn't going to happen anyway.

Feels like this is a simple one for AA to do the right thing. Even if their IT systems require splitting the PNR, how about following the 'common sense' rule and overriding the standby for the other 2 passengers?
Who did you talk to? This is one of those cases where I would have first asked at the check-in desk, then again at the AC if that didn't work, then again at the gate, and so on.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Definitely an instance where you can hang up and call again.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

AA Twitter was able to help do what the EXP phone desk was not...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
You mentioned weather. That's usually a good enough excuse as any for an agent to allow standby on an earlier flight, even when not explicitly permitted. But it's always a YMMV situation.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:25 pm

WOW!!!!
AA Twitter was able to help do what the EXP phone desk was not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.