Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-LGA "Shuttle" announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I was on yesterday’s NY to Boston shuttle 2122 in economy (couldn’t clear companion upgrade) and there was no inflight beverage service offered to Econ passengers. It was a low turbulence day (I know they like to use it as an excuse) and when I asked the FA for a drink, he informed me that there is no inflight service on short flights, and that the catering staff only provided juice and water. I let him know that shuttles have complimentary beer and wine (plus a comp premium drink for EXP), yet he doubled down on this. There was also no announcement indicating this apparent lack of catering or drink service. To no surprise, he was either in the back chatting or on his phone. I’ve chalked this up to laziness.

I typically fly the shuttle during the week and outside of the turbulence excuse, the FAs typically hustle to serve drinks. Has anyone else noticed a decrease in the inflight service on weekends?

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread; I couldn’t find it.
Announced last year

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...omment-page-1/

with cuts extending to F as well

specifically mentions JFK-DCA/BOS - but not LGA - however...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
There generally isn't a comp premium drink in Y for EXP on the shuttle since beer/wine is already free.

That said, I have gotten it when a flight attendant I see regularly is working or if the crew goes above and beyond, but don't expect it and only take it if offered.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
You should definitely write this one up. At minimum F/A needs to be re-trained, and they might throw in some token miles apology gesture given the marketing for the Shuttle product specifically includes free wine & beer. I've taken LGA-BOS many times on the weekend and the service is no different than on the weekdays, where as you note a full beverage service is always provided unless there is too much turbulence.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Announced last year

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...omment-page-1/

with cuts extending to F as well

specifically mentions JFK-DCA/BOS - but not LGA - however...
These cuts are not supposed to apply to the shuttle. On the other hand, I recently experienced the <250 mile water service out of DFW and was quite happy with it. They distributed small bottles to each person along with snacks, which is quite fast. That meant everyone in coach had a bottle of water and a snack with in 5 min after reaching 10,000 feet. When they try to do a full service on a 30 minute flight by the time they get to the folks in the back the plane is already descending (if they even get to the back). It seems silly at that point.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wetrat0
These cuts are not supposed to apply to the shuttle. On the other hand, I recently experienced the <250 mile water service out of DFW and was quite happy with it. They distributed small bottles to each person along with snacks, which is quite fast. That meant everyone in coach had a bottle of water and a snack with in 5 min after reaching 10,000 feet. When they try to do a full service on a 30 minute flight by the time they get to the folks in the back the plane is already descending (if they even get to the back). It seems silly at that point.

LX, QR, LH, SQ and others seem to have no problem serving flights of 250 miles or less -- Whether it is necessary or frivolous, the only reason AA is discontinuing it is they feel it is more than the bare minimum they want to provide. #GoingForEBITDA
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
LX, QR, LH, SQ and others seem to have no problem serving flights of 250 miles or less -- Whether it is necessary or frivolous, the only reason AA is discontinuing it is they feel it is more than the bare minimum they want to provide. #GoingForEBITDA
I don't disagree that non-US carriers do a better job. I'm simply stating that the water service is at least predictable (better than no service or random chance of a service). And based on US service standards it's realistic to expect. I have certainly been on other carriers who have said "due to the short duration of the flight there will be no service".
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by daron4000
You should definitely write this one up. At minimum F/A needs to be re-trained, and they might throw in some token miles apology gesture given the marketing for the Shuttle product specifically includes free wine & beer. I've taken LGA-BOS many times on the weekend and the service is no different than on the weekdays, where as you note a full beverage service is always provided unless there is too much turbulence.
Yep sent in a complaint a short while ago. The F/A in F on Saturday morning ensured that everyone had beverages and snacks just after takeoff, and checked in a short while later.

The small water bottles would be great. (DL does this on their Shuttle)

I did have to laugh as the only announcement made during the flight was the tacky credit card pitch.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I take the LGA-DCA shuttle on weekends and it always has full drink/snack service.
deeruck likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
so the Chicago shuttle starts today......no big changes for me but I appreciate the effort.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
So, AA is finally copying DL on this route?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
So, AA is finally copying DL on this route?
yup, just with bigger mainline planes, no regional carriers which is what DL usually runs. also worth noting that the ORD Shuttle gates are right next next to the H/K Admirals Club and FL which are totally redone/new and very nice. I do this route monthly and being consistently near the club is the biggest benefit for me (they have been doing this for a while now)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
yup, just with bigger mainline planes, no regional carriers which is what DL usually runs. also worth noting that the ORD Shuttle gates are right next next to the H/K Admirals Club and FL which are totally redone/new and very nice. I do this route monthly and being consistently near the club is the biggest benefit for me (they have been doing this for a while now)
Interesting. As an originating pax I always thought it was odd they didn't use lower-numbered H/K gates that were right by security, but I can see how lounge proximity would be a plus.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

So I flew the new LGA-ORD-LGA Shuttle this week and was surprised there was no mention of it being a shuttle at the gate, on the plane or in-flight. LGA only Shuttle ticket counters then no other mention of it. ORD has a little more Shuttle signage, but nothing at gates, no announcements made on-board etc. At least on the LGA-DCA/BOS Shuttles they let pax know beer/wine is complimentary on the plane. Strange.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Flew LGA-ORD on Tuesday and didn't notice anything at all that was different. Flight departed on time and landed early.

Did note a humorous comment by the pilot though:

"We got you into Chicago twenty minutes early. So, the next time we're two hours late, we'll call it even."
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's easy. Just increase fares to cover the added labor cost.

The EU carriers staff their narrow-body "mainline" aircraft with 4, sometimes 5, rather than 3 FA's as the result of trade union contracts. With a 4th FA, it's easy enough to quickly cater the J cabin (simply an empty middle seat) and then run two carts up the Y aisle, each staffed by 2 FA's.

If there were a market for the over-staffed model I am fairly certain it would be offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.