Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, MR PLT
2/8/18-2/9/18
SFO-ORD
PLT PRO
Economy (O)

12/8
Original flight was scheduled for 8am out of SFO. Boarded on time, pushed back from the gate and we were told there was a MX issue and we would need to return to the gate, de-plane, and the plane would need to go to the hanger. The flight kept getting delayed, and we eventually re-boarded (might have even been a different aircraft). Pushed back around 430pm. MX issue discovered after pushing back, and we head back to the gate. We're told it could be a quick fix, but before they could finish, the pilots ran out of hours. At this point there were no other options to get out that evening, even with connections, and weather was coming into ORD. Admirals Club Agents assisted with rebooking and getting hotel & meal vouchers sorted.

12/9
Scheduled to be on the 11am flight, upon arrival at the airport that flight is cancelled due to weather. Re-booked on a connection through LAX. Flight from SFO to LAX keeps getting delayed, so I checked with the agent in the Admirals Club, and I managed to get the last seat on the 9:25am non-stop <that was delayed>. We eventually left and made it back to Chicago. Power outlet at my seat was broken, and the FA's said they would try to reset it, but it didn't work. My bag also didn't make my flight, but was delivered about 19 hours after landing at ORD.

Emailed customer service with positive feedback about the agents and getting me home, etc. Mentioned the issues with the Power Outlet, MX delays/cancellations, and Baggage.

15,000 AA Miles from Customer Relations.

Besides getting home about 26 hours late, I am happy with how things were handled and the compensation.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally was scheduled IAH-DFW-PHX-OAK (last minute trip, so less stops wasn't an option). DFW-PHX was delayed several hours due to Runway MX at PHX. Missed the PHX-OAK flight but eventually managed to make a PHX-SFO flight a few hours later that night.

Is it reasonable to request a reimbursement for my Taxi given OAK was way closer to where I needed to be than SFO? Ordinarily, wouldn't ask for anything but the way they handled these delays was pretty lousy and despite knowing i would miss my connection in PHX, I wasn;t allowed to re route via LAX earlier etc.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Wondering if twitter, online or phoning AA has best results and turn around time? Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
EXP, flew on 3/2 on JFK -> LAX -> NRT (AA 169), upgraded from Y with SWU.

Original departure time was 11:50AM but unfortunately we were slightly delayed due to business class miscatering (they were lacking 8 of the Japanese entrees?). We taxi'd for an hour but then the captain timed out so we turned back to the gate. It took until 6:40PM for AA to wrangle another crew and depart again, but because we left so late we'll be arriving at Narita after all the trains stop running. Limo bus to Tokyo station isn't an option since I'm staying pretty far from the central station.

I'd like to request for my taxi fare (~250USD) to be reimbursed plus additional miles for the inconvenience - any hints on how to approach this? Should I reach out to Twitter or via the customer care portal online?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

I booked my friend an award ticket from aruba to seattle via miami with a ~1:50 connection, which was domestic to domestic since aruba has pre-clearance. Flight ended up being about 1:20 late but my friend made it to the gate 12 full minutes before departure time after running there. From what I can gather, they can't close the door until 10 minutes prior to departure unless all pax are onboard. Flight aware shows the plane pushed off 1 min late as well then taxiied for about 16 minutes. He was provided with a mediocre hotel and credits for food/transport and put on the same flight for the next day. When you are at the gate 2 minutes before door closing time, no one is around and the door is closed, and your forced to miss a day of work, what other compensation should be expected? My theory is the plane was 100% full and they were going to have to either take volunteers or IDB someone.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
My first serious incidence with AA. What can I ask for and expect?

AA1462, March 29th, DFW-MIA
I Purchased a First Class ticket, I am OneWorld Sapphire (soon Emerald).
The engine was broken, finally the delay was almost 8h. I had to take an alternative flight (to take a flight to Madrid) and was downgraded to Economy and my 2 bags are still missing and they have no idea where they are. Am I entitled to a backcredit (in cash) for downgrade plus some travel voucher?

Thank you
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
03/30/2018 - DFW-FCO. SCHEDULED DEPARTURE AT 1:40.

Rolling delays in 30 minute-1 hour increments. Flight had been in hangar for 3 days being worked on. Tried to find another plane. Eventually assigned NRT-DFW plane and waited a few more hours for it to be serviced. Sandwiches and beverages provided.

Flight finally took off at 8:17pm, arrived at 1:34pm (instead of 7:15am).

Awarded 6000 miles via email.

Apprpriate?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
  • Date: 7 April 2018
  • AAdvantage Status: Platinum
  • Fare class: Business class, upgraded from Economy fare using five 500-mile upgrades, JFK-LAX
  • What happened: IFE console was defective, had to watch films on tablet
  • Compensation: 15000 miles
  • Comments: Miles posted within 24 hours of filing complaint
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:26 pm

Broken business class seat on flight to Rome

Hello, we just redeemed miles for international award seats to Rome. My seat was broken on the flight over and I was not able switch seats with anyone. Of course 1A the pilot seat was empty and I was not allowed to move to it. What compensation should I ask for from AA? Is it reasonable to ask for the miles back on that portion of the flight? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by oklatraveler
Hello, we just redeemed miles for international award seats to Rome. My seat was broken on the flight over and I was not able switch seats with anyone. Of course 1A the pilot seat was empty and I was not allowed to move to it. What compensation should I ask for from AA? Is it reasonable to ask for the miles back on that portion of the flight? Thanks in advance for your help!
We’ve added your query into the master compensation thread.

You should be able to get compensation. Read this thread and if you wish prior threads, linked in the Wikipost at the top of the page. That’s a long trip to endure in a broken seat!

Good luck.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by oklatraveler
I had a broken business class seat returning from Rome and got 15 K miles from AA.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:53 pm

Currently on AA1257 from MIA-IAH that sat on the runway for a little over 2 hours. the flight attendants never passed through the cabin offering water or drinks. They were about to start at the 1:35 mark but were called off by a clear to takeoff. Obivously in violation of federal regulation. Should I go straight to AA to request compensation and if so how much?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Currently on AA1257 from MIA-IAH that sat on the runway for a little over 2 hours. the flight attendants never passed through the cabin offering water or drinks. They were about to start at the 1:35 mark but were called off by a clear to takeoff. Obivously in violation of federal regulation. Should I go straight to AA to request compensation and if so how much?
Not sure what regulation they were in violation of: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv.../tarmac-delays

If you were near the 2 hour mark and on an active taxiway awaiting impending clearance, then they have an exemption. If it was pushing 3 hours, different story.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Not sure what regulation they were in violation of: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv.../tarmac-delays

If you were near the 2 hour mark and on an active taxiway awaiting impending clearance, then they have an exemption. If it was pushing 3 hours, different story.
I guess it depends on how you define “active runway”. Is that the runway where we took off and spent <30 secs on? That’s how I interpetted the clause in the regulation:

“The only instance in which an airline is not required to hand out food and water to all passengers during a tarmac delay that lasts two hours or longer is when the pilot determines that food and water service cannot be provided due to safety or security reasons. For example, when an airplane is taxing on an active runway, it may be unsafe for flight attendants to hand out food and water”
​​​​​
I honestly am not sure that’s why I came here to ask.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:17 am

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.