Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does it matter which account we book tickets on? I'm Plat Pro. She's ExecPlat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

When booking flights for myself and wifey for when we are traveling together on the same reservation, does it matter if I buy the AA tickets for us under my account or if she does with her higher status in terms of where we fall in the upgrade list on flights? Wife is Executive Platinum and I'm Platinum Pro. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by mattrod
When booking flights for myself and wifey for when we are traveling together on the same reservation, does it matter if I buy the AA tickets for us under my account or if she does with her higher status in terms of where we fall in the upgrade list on flights? Wife is Executive Platinum and I'm Platinum Pro. Thanks!
EXP and their companions still clear ahead of PPRO. (I think - things change fast!)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
No, it does not matter as long as you have the frequent flyer numbers associated with each ticket.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It doesn't matter which member made the booking. Both flyers carry the highest status on the reservation.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott plat
It all depends on what the reason is- for upgrades it goes off status of the flyer so no issue, for changes it may matter- for issues during travel,always go higher status
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could have your travel agent book the ticket and it still wouldn't matter.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Point of clarity. I think if you are buying with miles and think you may need to cancel the ticket later, if you use the EXP miles you can cancel without penalty but if you use the non-EXP miles, there is a penalty. I realize this doesn't apply to you now but it is good to know for the future.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
As a general rule, I prefer to book tickets based off of the account with the highest “rank”. This way the highest status pax is listed as pax 1.
Madison Guy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
One slightly oddball consideration, but not related to who had the points for ticketing.

We were both booked with AAd awards on CX, but there was only one F, so we took another J while waiting/hoping for another F.

When choosing seats, I wanted DH (with the higher "status") to have the F for the extra size and comfort, so I selected his seat, and then went for my seat assignment in J.
I wanted to be in the little mini-J cabin immediately behind F. Not possible.
When I inquired and dug in about "why", it turned out that only higher status could reserved in that mini-cabin until almost last minute (if at all?).

So I switched and put myself in F, and DH was quickly booked into our choice of seats in those two rows.
IF *he* had been making the reservations, apparently they would have noticed his status right away. Or so they said.

Yes, about two weeks before departure, two F seats opened on a different date, but one that was just fine for us, so we both flew home CX F.
Alas, we are spoiled forever

GC
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks FT fam for your help.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
One note I've run into a lot is if the upgrade goes to the gate the priority list is now putting us on the list according to our respective statuses and thus she's way ahead of me. When I did not have status it always put me directly beneath her. I don't know if the gate agent would recognize this and upgrade us both or if the agent would just attempt to upgrade one of us (typically when we get to the gate that implies it won't clear).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.