FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1885664-archive-2018-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules.html)

coolcoil Nov 7, 2018 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 30404852)
@coolcoil It is your same-day international "Itinerary" taken as a whole.

You get access at DFW.

Thanks much!

LupineChemist Nov 8, 2018 2:22 am

Do note that there is no FL at DFW at the moment and there is a temporary premium lounge. May be better off going to the AC.

Newbtravelle Nov 10, 2018 4:00 am

Lounge access - arrive on AA, depart on another airline

Hi all,

I currently have a KOA - LAX ticket in MCE. I am oneworld emerald. I may connect onwards from LAX on delta or united. Will I get Admirals club lounge access. From the website it seems like I will.
Also looks like there will be a change from 2019 Nov? When in this case I more likely would not be allowed access?

Rules from the site:
""""""""'

oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire

Includes customers on all flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline (regardless of cabin). AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries don't qualify.

To enter

You’ll need 2 items:

• Qualifying boarding pass with oneworld Frequent Flyer number
  • Government-issued photo ID
"""""""""

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d16c0fe784.png

JJeffrey Nov 10, 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle (Post 30414490)
Hi all,

I currently have a KOA - LAX ticket in MCE. I am oneworld emerald. I may connect onwards from LAX on delta or united. Will I get Admirals club lounge access. From the website it seems like I will.
Also looks like there will be a change from 2019 Nov? When in this case I more likely would not be allowed access?

Rules from the site:
""""""""'

oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire

Includes customers on all flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline (regardless of cabin). AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries don't qualify.

To enter

You’ll need 2 items:

• Qualifying boarding pass with oneworld Frequent Flyer number
  • Government-issued photo ID
"""""""""

No, to access any lounge via your oneworld status you need an onward flight on a oneworld carrier, so no access since your onward flight would be on DL or UA. This is what is meant by the rules saying you need a qualifying boarding pass, although its worded better on the oneworld site rather than the aa.com language above.

The Nov 2019 changes are only applicable if you're accessing the club via an Admirals Club membership, so that wouldn't apply here.

coolcoil Nov 10, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil (Post 30404187)
I'm sure somebody has asked a similar question, but I did not find the answer by reading the Wiki's, the AA Lounge Access pages or by scrolling through these posts. :)

I am PLT flying MDE-MIA-DFW-TUS all on the same day. It's all same ticket, all AA-marketed/operated. I know I get FL access at MIA. But, I am not 100% sure that I get FL and/or AC access at DFW, so that is the question.

The AA FL access page section for AA elites only says "connecting to international flights," and the AC access page just says,"on international flights." I am pretty sure that those two statements would include the 2nd domestic connection on the same day, but I would like to confirm.

@serfty was kind enough to answer my question shown above with a yes. But I am back again. When I got to the airport this morning, I found that I had grabbed my son's passport instead of mine. $461 poorer, I am flying the same itinerary (MDE-MIA-DFW-TUS) this afternoon and now have an overnight in MIA. The interesting thing is, my MIA-DFW flight leaves before 6 a.m. Am I correct in assuming that I have lounge access both in the evening after I arrive in MIA and in the morning before leaving for DFW? If so, would I also have access in DFW while waiting for the TUS flight?

I do have a hotel in MIA, but it would be nice to grab something to eat before heading to the hotel and then breakfast in the morning. The lounge access in DFW isn't really a big deal, as my layover is only 90 minutes, but it would be good to have some place to go if the departure is delayed.

teemuflyer Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil (Post 30414960)
@serfty was kind enough to answer my question shown above with a yes. But I am back again. When I got to the airport this morning, I found that I had grabbed my son's passport instead of mine. $461 poorer, I am flying the same itinerary (MDE-MIA-DFW-TUS) this afternoon and now have an overnight in MIA. The interesting thing is, my MIA-DFW flight leaves before 6 a.m. Am I correct in assuming that I have lounge access both in the evening after I arrive in MIA and in the morning before leaving for DFW? If so, would I also have access in DFW while waiting for the TUS flight?

I do have a hotel in MIA, but it would be nice to grab something to eat before heading to the hotel and then breakfast in the morning. The lounge access in DFW isn't really a big deal, as my layover is only 90 minutes, but it would be good to have some place to go if the departure is delayed.

First of all.. Ooops ;-)

You won't have access to the lounges in MIA upon arrival since you'll have to exit the airside while clearing CBP and Customs and you will not be regranted access until the next morning for your DFW flight. You should have access to the FL in MIA the next morning as your flight is before 6:00 AM, but it will be iffy in DFW. Worth trying though.

coolcoil Nov 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 30415152)
First of all.. Ooops ;-)

You won't have access to the lounges in MIA upon arrival since you'll have to exit the airside while clearing CBP and Customs and you will not be regranted access until the next morning for your DFW flight. You should have access to the FL in MIA the next morning as your flight is before 6:00 AM, but it will be iffy in DFW. Worth trying though.

Thanks! I don't know why it never occurred to me that I would be on the wrong side of security - I've only flown MDE-MIA 100+ times. :) The app had us listed as arriving at gate D32, and I had fantasies about walking right off the plane to the FL. I suppose the worry about the almost-blown trip distracted me.

Even if they would let me go through security, it wouldn't be worth the effort..

SavvyTravel Nov 11, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30262159)
Good for the lounge attendant. Technically, afaik you could have been denied if the flight departed after 6 am.

Originally Posted by Time traveller (Post 30262143)
I recently flew LHR-JFK in AA J (evening flight that arrives late) with an overnight in JFK and then a connecting flight in domestic F out of JFK the following morning.

I wasn't sure if I would get Flagship Lounge access for the domestic flight the next morning, but lounge attendant scanned the LHR-JFK BP and said I was good to use the lounge.

I've been going through various posts and have a related question / advice wanted...

I'm a Brit with only BA Bronze (OneWorld Ruby) status. Flying from LHR into PHL on BA (business class) landing at 7.10 pm. My "connecting" flight to LAX on AA (in business again) departs at 8.10 am the next day.

What chance do I have of ANY lounge access at PHL in the morning?
Thanks

coolcoil Nov 11, 2018 7:35 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 30415152)
First of all.. Ooops ;-)

Access granted. And with drink chits!

MIA-DFW got in early, and I was walking right by the club, so I thought I'd give it a try. This access was based on the computer's judgment - no special pleading on my part.

I had not been in a regular AC for a long time. I think the one in Terminal A is darn nice. It's really almost on a level with the FL in MIA, and they have breakfast tacos, which the FL does not. Of course, it's 8 a.m., so maybe I am not giving the lack of self-pour drinks as much weight as I would if it were afternoon.

coolcoil Nov 11, 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel (Post 30417652)
I'm a Brit with only BA Bronze (OneWorld Ruby) status. Flying from LHR into PHL on BA (business class) landing at 7.10 pm. My "connecting" flight to LAX on AA (in business again) departs at 8.10 am the next day.

What chance do I have of ANY lounge access at PHL in the morning?
Thanks

Well, there is a very good chance if you are willing to pay $59 for a day pass. Unfortunately, that is the only way. :(

Note: I am assuming that your morning flight is separately booked on AA and not part of your BA itinerary. If you were flying business on a BA ticket that might be different. I'll have to defer to others if that is the case.

SavvyTravel Nov 11, 2018 7:57 am

Thanks, that's what I feared (no access). However, it is actually one AA ticket (OSL-KOA) with the first two hops on BA metal so I still hold out some hope...

coolcoil Nov 11, 2018 8:11 am

If it’s AA-ticketed, then you are out of luck. The rules are clear that your flight must depart prior to 6 a.m. Though, it never hurts to ask...

SavvyTravel Nov 11, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil (Post 30417809)
If it’s AA-ticketed, then you are out of luck. The rules are clear that your flight must depart prior to 6 a.m. Though, it never hurts to ask...

Thanks I will try!
Annoyingly after this flight I will hit Silver/Sapphire status.

flyingeph12 Nov 11, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel (Post 30417979)
Thanks I will try!
Annoyingly after this flight I will hit Silver/Sapphire status.

Actually, based on my experience, you’ll probably get access to any of the ACs at PHL. Although the rules technically say connecting flights must leave before 6 am the following day, as long as the domestic connection is in the same record as your international J flight, there’s a good chance you’ll get access. I would definitely give it a shot.

cheaptom Nov 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Last time I was at LAX, got into the Admirals Club with a International Business ticket, but could not get into the Flagship area; that was for First only...not Business. Looks like Flagship now allows J Int'l in ?