Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shimps1
Any suggestions on the below options? AA123 on 2/23, 9:10AM departure.
  • Choose later
  • Cheese Lasagna
    pomodoro tomato sauce, grilled vegetables
  • Shrimp with Red Panang Curry
    With bamboo rice
  • Macadamia Crusted Chicken
    coconut sauce, soba noodles, sugar snap peas
Leaning heavily towards the chicken. Would these meals be the only options they have on board as well, or would there be more options on the actual plane? I'm willing to risk it for a better options, but the chicken sounds decent.
Those will be the only options available on the plane for those who do not pre-order. If you pre-order, you have the above choices plus the specialty choices (Hindu, Kosher, Vegan, Vegetarian, Bland, etc.). Unfortunately, you will not know the specific meal if you choose one of the specialty offerings. You will only know the "type".

I've had both the shrimp and chicken on the DFW-OGG flights. Both are OK.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Incorrect and off topic posts and replies have been deleted.

/Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Gold.
2/4 AA12 SFO-JFK in First. Special meal of Asian Veg was preordered.

Salad with Strawberry and Heart of Palm

Their version of Asian Vegetarian

Beef and Lentil Starter

Cheese with Port
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I have IAD-LAX-PVR coming up. I ordered the Hindu meal for the IAD-LAX sector and there was no pre-order LAX-PVR, presumably due to the ongoing catering issues there. I did check the box for "would you like the Hindu meal for all eligible flights" so I'll be interested to see if I get that also LAX-PVR.
So the Hindu meal my wife had was almost identical to the Asian Vegetarian option that is shown on OMAAT's post here. The crew weren't sure what type of special meal it was but did acknowledge it when they came around to confirm the pre-orders, even noting, "it looks really good".
My American Airlines Asian Vegetarian Meal - One Mile at a Time

It was all served on one tray with the red pepper that had the vegetables stuffed in it in one corner, then the far corner was the gulub jamon plus strawberries and then the main dish was the samosa, rice, etc. I guess I wasn't entirely surprised that the Hindu meal was doing double duty as the Asian Vegetertian too given the ingredients.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by CO777ER
I recall a yogurt tray on a DFW-ATL morning flight late last year. The distance is essentially the same (732 to ATL ... 761 to IND)
That's exactly what it was. Thanks!

Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
That's exactly what it was. Thanks!

That is acceptable for a short flight.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:58 pm

LAX to SEA meal?

I just booked a round trip in first from LAX to SEA departing at 16.45 from LAX and 11.40 from SEA.

I can’t choose my meals online. Am i right to believe that there would be no meal service?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dolceguess4
I just booked a round trip in first from LAX to SEA departing at 16.45 from LAX and 11.40 from SEA.

I can’t choose my meals online. Am i right to believe that there would be no meal service?
You'll have meals. Dinner on the LAX-SEA and lunch on the SEA-LAX. As the flights are on an E175, there is no advanced selection. Also be aware there are no ovens onboard so the meals will be cold.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
You'll have meals. Dinner on the LAX-SEA and lunch on the SEA-LAX. As the flights are on an E175, there is no advanced selection. Also be aware there are no ovens onboard so the meals will be cold.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by dolceguess4; Feb 8, 2018 at 6:00 am
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
LAX-JFK
  • Wagyu Meatloaf Wagyu Meatloaf selected for X for LAX to JFK
    With roasted garlic mashed potatoes and candied onions
  • Grilled Cauliflower Steak Grilled Cauliflower Steak selected for X for LAX to JFK
    portobello farro risotto, sautéed kale, baby sunburst squash
  • Grilled Lobster and Cheese Sandwich Grilled Lobster and Cheese Sandwich selected forX for LAX to JFK
    tomato basil soup, green salad
Anyone tried the lobster sandwich? Seems too good to be true...

And for another date, leaning crab cakes...
  • Pan Seared Crab Cakes Pan Seared Crab Cakes selected for X for LAX to JFK
    With jícama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce
  • Vegetarian Cremini Bolognese Vegetarian Cremini Bolognese selected for X for LAX to JFK
    spaghetti squash, basil oil, shaved Parmesan
  • Thai Beef Salad Thai Beef Salad selected for X for LAX to JFK
    coconut-marinated rice noodles, cucumber salad
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lavag
LAX-JFK
  • Wagyu Meatloaf Wagyu Meatloaf selected for X for LAX to JFK
    With roasted garlic mashed potatoes and candied onions
  • Grilled Cauliflower Steak Grilled Cauliflower Steak selected for X for LAX to JFK
    portobello farro risotto, sautéed kale, baby sunburst squash
  • Grilled Lobster and Cheese Sandwich Grilled Lobster and Cheese Sandwich selected forX for LAX to JFK
    tomato basil soup, green salad
Anyone tried the lobster sandwich? Seems too good to be true...

And for another date, leaning crab cakes...
  • Pan Seared Crab Cakes Pan Seared Crab Cakes selected for X for LAX to JFK
    With jícama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce
  • Vegetarian Cremini Bolognese Vegetarian Cremini Bolognese selected for X for LAX to JFK
    spaghetti squash, basil oil, shaved Parmesan
  • Thai Beef Salad Thai Beef Salad selected for X for LAX to JFK
    coconut-marinated rice noodles, cucumber salad
lol the lobster sandwich sounds a lot like this....thing American's "Lobster Roll" - The Worst Airline Meal Ever? - One Mile at a Time
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by ryan182

lol the lobster sandwich sounds a lot like this....thing American's "Lobster Roll" - The Worst Airline Meal Ever? - One Mile at a Time
Oh sweet Jesus NO!!! So glad I checked, thank you!!!!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
That is acceptable for a short flight.
I got a more filling meal on Alaska Airlines JNU-ANC this weekend, and the plane is barely in the air for 70 minutes.

That would have been inexcusable on PMAA as a meal, at least the way it is served.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Fraser
So the Hindu meal my wife had was almost identical to the Asian Vegetarian option that is shown on OMAAT's post here. The crew weren't sure what type of special meal it was but did acknowledge it when they came around to confirm the pre-orders, even noting, "it looks really good".
My American Airlines Asian Vegetarian Meal - One Mile at a Time

It was all served on one tray with the red pepper that had the vegetables stuffed in it in one corner, then the far corner was the gulub jamon plus strawberries and then the main dish was the samosa, rice, etc. I guess I wasn't entirely surprised that the Hindu meal was doing double duty as the Asian Vegetertian too given the ingredients.
Thanks! I'll give it a try!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA 1056 JFK-SFO in F.

Starter: smoked salmon cheese cake. Very good.

Main: beef filet with yukon potatoes. The usual dry beef but not bad.

AA 1053 SFO to JFK in J, Fantastic chicken & waffles breakfast. I loved it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.