Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Fruit & cheese plate

Does anyone know what the 3 types of cheese are? I know 1 is Brie, 1 is cheddar, but what is the 3rd one? I really like it, but asking the FA is an exercise in futility...

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Exactly. We need a full renaissance or AA inflight food.
My thinking at the moment is that any major change would require the airline to go with a lower-cost option. So, I believe AA F&B is trying to avoid making changes that would require them to reduce the meals. I also am concerned we would end up going through a few too many quinoa situations that would not be as interesting.

Offering the special meals route (as essentially 2 or 3 additional choices) for shorter domestic flights is really the big deal for this year, and in most cases a pretty interesting option (aside from the fact that some of the options are often all the same result). I don't believe the other carriers are offering such options as readily.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Does anyone know what you get if you request a Hindu meal (HNML) for breakfast? Getting tired of omelettes and oatmeal, so curious what they do here.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
deleted
VaBeachGirl likes this.

Last edited by kar don; Aug 6, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txrus
Does anyone know what the 3 types of cheese are? I know 1 is Brie, 1 is cheddar, but what is the 3rd one? I really like it, but asking the FA is an exercise in futility...

Thanks in advance!
In April, the third cheese was a goat’s milk cheese. Not sure if they’ve changed the rotation since.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Does anyone know what you get if you request a Hindu meal (HNML) for breakfast? Getting tired of omelettes and oatmeal, so curious what they do here.
See post #662 above. Reports are that the Hindu, Muslim and Asian Vegetarian are quite similar to each other as far as the special meals.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-MSP
E175 (Republic)
Full PDB

Southwest chicken salad (pictured below) or veggie wrap

Nuts and first round of drinks in-flight plopped down all at once, otherwise nice service

Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:12 am

Any suggestions?

This is JFK-LAX in F
  • Quinoa and Barley Pilaf Quinoa and Barley Pilaf
    With kale, grilled artichokes and red pepper sauce
  • Beef Quesadilla Beef Quesadilla
    With guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo
  • Sweet Chili Seared Red Snapper Sweet Chili Seared Red Snapper
    shishito pepper pesto, Thai fried rice, mixed vegetables
Was also thinking about Avml.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
See post #662 above. Reports are that the Hindu, Muslim and Asian Vegetarian are quite similar to each other as far as the special meals.
I'm curious if AA serves the same meal for breakfast though. We've seen that the Hindu, Muslim, and AVML are pretty much identical for lunch/dinner, but I don't know if anyone has posted breakfast. This is AA though so I'm sure it's the same as the others.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I just flew IAD-SFO in UA first; my first time up front on UA so can offer a comparison having done a ton of breakfast AA F flights this year and the UA food was completely inedible. By far the worst airline meal I've ever had. Kirby being over there is really starting to show I think.

It was an egg and chorizo "benedict" - I wish I had taken a picture. Basically brown and yellow slop above completely soggy mush that I imagine was once an english muffin with a small side of fruit (that did have two pieces of pineapple which was nice) and a croissant. We can say what we will about AA domestic food these days; but grass is definitely not greener over at UA (and DL in my experience, where the quality averages better but the portions / what they consider dinner is insane). AA breakfasts are usually very good.

Service actually impressed but I admit I went into UA with very low expectations
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Years ago, AA used to let you order a "fruit plate" for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Perhaps they could offer a fruit plate for breakfast and a fruit and cheese plate for lunch/dinner. That seems like it would be a safe option.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-MSP
E175 (Republic)
Full PDB

Southwest chicken salad (pictured below) or veggie wrap

Nuts and first round of drinks in-flight plopped down all at once, otherwise nice service

That whole setup looks delicious.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by enviroian
That whole setup looks delicious.
it was! I could barely finish it. Also that salad had some type of red pepper that had a really nice kick to it. Wish mainline would have this as a lunch option.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Any suggestions?

Sweet Chili Seared Red Snapper Sweet Chili Seared Red Snapper shishito pepper pesto, Thai fried rice, mixed vegetables
I had this on a SFO-JFK flight in F last month and I found it to be very tasty (and I usually don't order fish on airplanes).
MarioRossi likes this.

Last edited by PremiumSeat; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'm curious if AA serves the same meal for breakfast though. We've seen that the Hindu, Muslim, and AVML are pretty much identical for lunch/dinner, but I don't know if anyone has posted breakfast. This is AA though so I'm sure it's the same as the others.
Just a little looking on your part and you will have your answer, here is my post on the Asian breakfast on a PHX-ORD.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30043447-post662.html

I just had a Hindu meal for dinner and betting to say that if you order an Asain, Hindu or Muslim mean for breakfast you will get the same meal. It won't be a traditional breakfast meal, but one with much more flavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.