Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Pack1620
I've got a couple to add. Sorry, no pics.

CLT -> CUN
Choices of the Oatmeal or a Montamore Cheese Omelet with Kale Pesto, Roasted Potatoes and Chicken Sausage.
Both the wife and I chose the Omelet and it was surprisingly good. The sausages were quite spicy and the potatoes were decent as well.

CUN -> CLT
Choices of Stuffed Poblano Pepper or Chicken with Mole Sauce.
The Wife did the Pepper and I did the chicken breast. The wife enjoyed hers even though it was a tad spicy. I tried a bite of hers and it was pretty good. The Chicken Breast was not good. Very firm and dry and the beans tasted like they were old. The Rice was bland as well. I will say the Salad was pretty fresh albeit was only lettuce and some sliced peppers. We did have plated Key Lime Pie for dessert that was good.
I found catering ex-CUN to be substandard for years and years on all airlines.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by kmersh
I found catering ex-CUN to be substandard for years and years on all airlines.
I agree re CUN catering, but doesn't AA double cater to CUN in CLT?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jcatman
Did you pre-order the Osso Bucco? I remember an FA telling me some time ago that only two of those entrees are catered per flight.
I did indeed, makes me even happier now that I did.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 1916 PHL-MCI 1314-1505 EMB-190:

Full PDB despite a two hour delay ^

Choice of a "California Quinoa Wrap" or Vietnamese Salad with Chicken. This salad is a reliably good meal choice for lunch and it was nice to have a carrot cake instead of a cookie. Negative points for the nuts being placed on the tray with the meal though.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:10 pm

AA 2067 MCI-CLT 0701-1026 A-321:

Full PDB ^

Pathetic meal for a two hour, 800+ mile flight. Hell I wouldn't even call it a meal, especially as the concession options at MCI are so limited and there's no lounge.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10

Full PDB ^

Pathetic meal for a two hour, 800+ mile flight. Hell I wouldn't even call it a meal, especially as the concession options at MCI are so limited and there's no lounge.
Total sugar bomb there.......
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 pm

Full PDB ^

For two hours it’s definitely better than a snack basket... and seems to be in line with what a lot of people have for breakfast...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp

Full PDB ^

Had that on RDU-MIA a couple of weeks back. I thought I was being smart having a yogurt in the lounge, then they serve the same crap again...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB

Full PDB ^

AA doesn't call it a "meal" either, rather I believe this is the current offering for breakfast "Refreshments". I do agree with your adjective though; this is kind of pathetic. "Refreshments" really need to be "refreshed" not "enhanced" LOL
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA
Anyone know if the old AA Galleys site is still active and available to the public? The site was very useful in the past...
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Last two times I had the cheese plate "refreshment" it was actually a substantial amount of cheese and quite good. However, I've also had "refreshments" that are wanting for more. I wish there was more consistency.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: Advantage
Arrow Cheese-stuffed Poblano Pepper/rice, Chicken Meatballs with Creamy Polenta

AA811: PHL-CUN: 6pm
Dinner
First Class, 2A,C

We got our First Class upgrade about 10 hours before flight time, so no time to choose meals; Poblano Peppers stuffed with various cheeses, on Cilantro Rice, was pre-selected. On the plane, FA passed out the hot washcloths and took drink and dinner orders, offering Poblano Peppers or Chicken Meatballs with Creamy Polenta. Spouse opted for chicken meatballs, and I went for the Poblano Peppers, thinking they would be kind of like chiles relenos, but milder since poblanos are milder than jalepenos. We got our warm nuts and drinks (very dry Shiraz for me, bitter Sam Adams for spouse; I usually like Sam Adams, but prefer Yuengling Lager, and after tasting that SA decided I no longer like it.

Soon thereafter we could smell the odor (not aroma) of the Poblano Peppers being warmed - reminiscent of the comments regarding Two Pieces of Poop on a Plate in the 2017 thread. Our meals arrived; mine had one, not two, Poblanos, oozing with melted cheeses, on a bed of rice, with the standard corn salad and green salad. Spouse's had 3-4 decent sized chicken-balls on a bed of very creamy and delicious Polenta (I kept snitching), with the same two salads. FA offered rolls; the "wheat" (which even the white rolls are are) was a very bland whole (?) wheat with a few misc grains sprinkled on top, to fool people into thinking they are multigrain. Fortunately, they had Land O Lakes Butter, which I prefer, and yes, I can tell the difference between that and blander butters. The butter saved the blah roll.

So.....the Pepper - definitely mushy, didn't look or smell like poop, tasted like a somewhat spicy mushy micro-nuked pepper. A little too spicy for me. The melted cheese was its only saving grace. The rice was ok, not at all memorable. I've had, and liked, the corn salad before - THIS time there was something too spicy in there; little bits of minced green chilis of some kind. i picked them out (unusual of me to pick things out), and then liked the corn salad. The green salad had nice green greens, a few pomegranate seeds which i believe were primarily decorative, and some Feta (I think). The little container of vinaigrette was way too vinegary and overpowered the salad. Yes, Feta on both salads.

On to the chicken meatballs - they tasted like light meatballs, had a little Italian-style tomato sauce puddled nearby, and a lot of very creamy very good Polenta. I would have happily traded, but spouse liked what was served. Spouse's roll was cheese-sprinkled, eaten and appreciated.

Dessert was strawberry ice cream, I don't know the brand, but it was a very creamy and good ice cream. Previously we've had it (or maybe raspberry?) with a few artfully shaped pieces of chocolate swooping up out of the ice cream; those had been the highlight of the meal. However the strawberry ice cream was quite good on its own (and neither of us particularly likes strawberry ice cream.)

Bottom line: The Poblano peppers stuffed with cheeses were not as bad as described on the 2017 thread, but were mushy and spicier than I preferred; I probably about 1/4 of the pepper part. The cheese was good, rice ok, corn salad good after removing hot pepper bits, green salad would have been ok with less, or a different, dressing. Chix meatballs with polenta were very good, Rolls ok, butter excellent, nuts very nice, and ice cream good.

The flight, overall, was comfortable and on-time. FA was friendly and efficient. Our preceding flight was several hours late leaving us concerned about our baggage, but the bags made it to our plane and were fine on arrival.

On the way home we will have a choice of Seared Whitefish or Mexican Lasagna. We've had them before, but don't remember either one. For now, we've clicked Whitefish x 2. How is it, and what about the lasagna? Which to choose?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I've got an ORD-SEA coming up tomorrow evening that is only giving me a pre-order choice between the vile, disgusting Poblano Peppers dish and the cheese plate.

There should be another entree choice. Is this a glitch in the pre-order system?

Don't want to be stuck with the horrible peppers - but don't particularly want the cheese plate either.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bse118
I've got an ORD-SEA coming up tomorrow evening that is only giving me a pre-order choice between the vile, disgusting Poblano Peppers dish and the cheese plate.

There should be another entree choice. Is this a glitch in the pre-order system?

Don't want to be stuck with the horrible peppers - but don't particularly want the cheese plate either.
I had the same problem flying ORD-SEA on June 21. The only pre-order dinner choices were the Poblano Peppers and the Cheese/Fruit plate. The other option on-board were the Chicken Meatballs.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EVA Air
I had the same problem flying ORD-SEA on June 21. The only pre-order dinner choices were the Poblano Peppers and the Cheese/Fruit plate. The other option on-board were the Chicken Meatballs.
Hmm, thanks. Guess I roll the dice and hope I have enough time in the ORD FL before the flight to eat; and that the meatballs are still available on board...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.