Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American vs. Delta

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Platinum might be difficult, but Gold would probably be easier to get at least some years on DL with MQM rolllover. Also, there is the MQM boost potential from the DL Plat Amex card.
This is really getting at what I was talking about. I was curious if there were potential benefits here.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by xliioper
Platinum might be difficult, but Gold would probably be easier to get at least some years on DL with MQM rolllover. Also, there is the MQM boost potential from the DL Plat Amex card.
The question is whether the poster can hit the MQM boosts with the DL Platinum Amex and the Southwest companion pass in part via credit card spend in the same year. You're getting up there in spend at that point for many households.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
The question is whether the poster can hit the MQM boosts with the DL Platinum Amex and the Southwest companion pass in part via credit card spend in the same year. You're getting up there in spend at that point for many households.
Yeah - astute observation. If I want to get something out of DL or AA, I would need to shift all my spending away from WN. For most families with's WN's Companion Pass that would seem like an insane idea, especially without getting at least Platinum on DL. But my situation is different. Lots of kids, one of them sickly. So realistically 2X a year, tops, for us. And we already have a companion certificate on DL Amex Plat. card.

One benefit to WN's card - it's a VISA, so it is accepted everywhere. I have several big ticket things that I pay for that don't take DL's Amex card.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'v spent the last few years sampling the brands and feel that, while American treats their high level elites very well and better than Delta in some ways, the overall passenger experience is just better for a general flyer or low level elite on Delta and I appreciate how Delta really does empower their front line customer service people to fix problems when they happen. (And a good majority of the time, the Delta employees I interact with actually do use that power to improve or rescue my travel day) Yes, I end up flying through ATL during Southeastern summer thunderstorm season a fair amount and do appreciate Delta's good IRROPS handling during those times. I really do put a high value on Delta's willingness to proactively provide a back-up rebooking or rebooking via the app when odds of a misconnect seem high while my American experience is that they won't do anything for my no-status self until I actually miss a flight.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
I started a thread in the DL forum on moving from AA to DL earlier this year. I barely made PLT with AA the last two years so the changes being discussed in this thread have negatively impacted me more than the EXPs. I'm also in BOS which has been largely abandoned by AA compared to where it was a few years ago. The one thing that kept me on AA for the rest of this year is that admirals club allows me to bring in my family as guests and sky club does not. I've concluded I'm going to let my AC membership expire in September and I'll renew in January when I made a decision about which airline I fly in 2020. DL is going to add some routes in BOS over the course of this year and I'm going to wait to see how that looks on 1/1/2020.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I had been with Delta from the early 1980s until “no waivers no favors “ in the 1990s. Hence a 2MM when it was easy to obtain. I switched to AA and have been EXP for over 20 years. Because of all the customer unfriendly changes I became Diamond and EXP this year but with the increased spending for AA this year I had to choose. Two experiences this year convinced me that the new AA rules were too much.
Unlike in the past when I was trying to remove a SWU from an upgrade I was told my original fare was not available so I would have to pay more money to go back to J from F. That made no sense to me.
Then I was told of a 3 hour mechanical delay on a transcon. In the past if J wasn’t available but F was the EXP desk would put me in F on another flight. Once again new rules forbid it.
That plus the general attitude of many AA personnel vs DL has convinced me it’s back to DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.