Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling return leg of trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Canceling return leg of trip

I have a return flight from LAX to LHR scheduled for the 28th, but circumstances came up that will prevent me from taking this second leg on this date, and I don't know when I'll be able to go again. Besides just skipping this flight, what are my other options? Should I call AA and ask them for credit for this unused leg? The flight was in Y and cost under $700 r/t, and looking at my EQDs for the first leg, which was about $350, the second leg will be "worth" about the same.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gosha83
I have a return flight from LAX to LHR scheduled for the 28th, but circumstances came up that will prevent me from taking this second leg on this date, and I don't know when I'll be able to go again. Besides just skipping this flight, what are my other options? Should I call AA and ask them for credit for this unused leg? The flight was in Y and cost under $700 r/t, and looking at my EQDs for the first leg, which was about $350, the second leg will be "worth" about the same.
Just go online to aa.com, pull up your reservation and cancel the trip there. This will prevent you from being a no-show and losing all value of the remaining part of the ticket. If you want to try and use re-use that portion at a later date, you just call AA, give them the ticket number, and they will tell you what it will cost given the existing ticket's change fee etc.

Since most all discount Y transatlantic fares on AA require roundtrip purchase, it won't be possible to just get a credit back for the unused portion.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do nothing. The minimum change fee for a discounted ticket is $300 and that would leave $50 if indeed the RT were 2x the OW (doubtful). Indeed, pulling out the APD for the LHR departure brings the value below $350 even presuming that the RT is 2x the OW. When you no show, the ticket will be cancelled and a lucky standby or overbooked pax will get your seat.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
You could always call and plead your case of "circumstances" to see if they'll partially or fully waive your cancellation/change fee. Worst they say is "no"
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
I’m guessing from the replies that AA does not refund the APD when you cancel a ticket? BA did that for me last year, even on an otherwise fully non-refundable ticket.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by SAN-man
I’m guessing from the replies that AA does not refund the APD when you cancel a ticket?
There's no APD on flights into the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.