Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

10% mileage refund - how long to take effect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I need to make an AA award booking sooner than later, but figured i would grab the AAdvantage Aviator from barclays for the bonus and the 10% mileage refund. My question is, now that i've applied and been approved, how long must i wait to book the award so that i get the 10% credit? Is it based on when the account is opened? Is there some delay like 30 days or something? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.. Thanks,
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:57 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
When you log into your account on AA.com, it should indicate on the bottom left corner (below your name and account number, but above your mileage) that you are an "AAdvantage Aviator cardmember". As long as this is visible, you can make your reservation. You will need enough miles in your account to make a booking at the undiscounted price. After completing your booking, (a day or so), you activity will show withdrawal of undiscounted miles from your account, AND a credit of 10% back into your account.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
As long as you use the card for the taxes or fees associated with the redemption, it was automatic for me (sub 1 day).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
As long as you use the card for the taxes or fees associated with the redemption, it was automatic for me (sub 1 day).
There is not a requirement to use the eligible card for taxes or fees. The rebate posts automatically regardless of card used.

Cheers,
LBBZman
beachfan likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
<deleted>

Last edited by skydve1; Dec 23, 2017 at 9:21 am Reason: I didn't answer / misread the question...
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Mine was very fast I forgot what it was for- think either same day or next day from redemption
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Redeemed two awards at 70k each. The Aviator Redemption Bonus was 10k miles-- 7k for the first ticket (10%) and 3k for the second (less than 5%). Is this normal?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Yes, total disscount is capped at 10k miles per calendar year, even if you have more than one elegible card.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Yes, total disscount is capped at 10k miles per calendar year, even if you have more than one elegible card.
Ahh... got it!

Thank you!

It's a decent bonus. The 70k awards work out to be 65k. Pretty good.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by firemandan9
this is why Mrs.BG3 and I both have Citi MC Plat cards, and alternate accounts to maximize getting 10K rebate for each of us. It is a small PITA to have to book 2 separate tickets for joint vacay travel, but getting the full 10% makes it worth it.

[there is one risk to the above method however, i.e. Mrs.GB3 has no status, so if plans change, she has to pay $150 fee for putting miles back into her account. Whereas I, as EXP, don't have to pay]
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm running into a different quirk with the 10% refund. Here's roughly what happened to me:

1. Redeemed 4 tickets x 25K for 100K total. Was given 10% rebate for 10K total
2. Then redeemed an another 2 tickets for 50K. No rebate since I already hit 10K cap
3. Finally, as EXP I cancelled #1 above and returned those initial 100K to my account. The miles were redpositied and initial rebate reversed as well.

However, due to the timing of all this, i now realize that the 10% refund never kicked in for transaction 2 (that was capped at the time).

Anyone ever deal with this type of scenario?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had something similar -- a J award booked in 2016 that I changed to an F award in 2017. The 2016 rebate was reversed in 2017 when the J award was redeposited, even though I had redeemed additional awards in 2016 that were over the cap. Potentially complicating this was that I had both the Citi and Barclay's card in 2016 (so the rebates were split), but subsequently cancelled Citi before the award redeposit. I never actually dealt with this, but I probably should have.

I would call AAdvantage Customer Service first, and hope they don't try to pass it on to the banks! Your situation seems more straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.