Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Involuntary SWU downgrade whilst seated on the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary SWU downgrade whilst seated on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lobo411
Based on past history, I'd say most FAMs want to be near the booze, drugs, and hookers.
Is that your history or theirs?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
What would happen if (in the same situation) the person bumped was in a party of two? Would they ask one of the two to move back or take another flight, or look for a different party of one to move?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by apeortdz
What would happen if (in the same situation) the person bumped was in a party of two? Would they ask one of the two to move back or take another flight, or look for a different party of one to move?
I have a feeling that AA's algorithm takes that into consideration. If one is needed, it looks for the lowest single flyer.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AndyAA

Not quite. For the right price, everybody on the airplane can come away from the situation satisfied. It’s just a matter of AA offering up the market price to find the right person and correct their mistake.
OP, in this third-person report of what his GF said in her "message" (which leads me to believe that all of this is drawn from a text, voicemail, email not even an interchange between the two), says that the GF received a voucher. But, he's never provided the $ amount.

There is no particular reason for AA to do what it does quite well on flight oversales. It routinely pays $1,000 for VDB's on micro-haul flights where the VDB means a 2-3 hour delay. But, there's no reason to get into all of that because this situation is not mandated and all that is required is that the fare difference be paid, e.g. SWU returned.

AA has gotten out of the business of tossing compensation in the forms of miles & vouchers where it's not necessary. It wasn't here.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by arollins
I have a feeling that AA's algorithm takes that into consideration. If one is needed, it looks for the lowest single flyer.
But what happens if there are 2 people traveling together who aren't on the same PNR, for whatever reason? Say an EXP using an SWU together with someone he gifted miles to? Back in the US days I did this several times, used a CP upgrade for myself, and miles for a traveling companion, and different PNR's.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by AndyAA
Not quite. For the right price, everybody on the airplane can come away from the situation satisfied. It’s just a matter of AA offering up the market price to find the right person and correct their mistake.
Yeah, I don't understand how this is at all a hard concept for the "AA can do no wrong" crowd. I've been on a CX flight with this exact situation (I was in F, J was oversold so it didn't directly affect me) and they basically solicited two volunteers to downgrade based on some combination of payment + a bulkhead with no one next to them in coach. They ended up having to increase the payment once, but got two volunteers with no fuss and with no one feeling like they'd had a terrible experience, either.

AA's attitude in these situations seems to be "we have a policy that says we can downgrade you to whatever seat happens to be available in coach at this point". I don't think it's hard to understand why the CX approach is better and probably less likely to delay the flight as well.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by jordyn
AA's attitude in these situations seems to be "we have a policy that says we can downgrade you to whatever seat happens to be available in coach at this point".
Does CX have the same policy and choose not to enforce it?

Regardless it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
Does CX have the same policy and choose not to enforce it?
First, I don't actually think it's the case that AA has a policy that says "we can just downgrade you whenever we screw up". If you can find one documented, please let us know and then we can compare to CX's documented policies. I think mostly the situation is that CX empowers its employees to find good outcomes for its customers, which AA gave up on long ago.

Regardless it’s not an apples to apples comparison.
Because only one of the two airlines is hostile to their customers? In every other way, it is literally an identical situation. If you're going to assert that it's not an apples to apples comparison, maybe you should explain why you believe that to be the case.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, I don't actually think it's the case that AA has a policy that says "we can just downgrade you whenever we screw up". If you can find one documented, please let us know and then we can compare to CX's documented policies. I think mostly the situation is that CX empowers its employees to find good outcomes for its customers, which AA gave up on long ago.
Exactly. A couple of posters keep referring to AA's policy on downgrades that they execute. I've yet to find such policy, perhaps those posters could enlighten us?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
I believe the term for this is "trespassing".
Just like Dr. Dao was, right?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR

Because only one of the two airlines is hostile to their customers? In every other way, it is literally an identical situation. If you're going to assert that it's not an apples to apples comparison, maybe you should explain why you believe that to be the case.
No, I mean there are fundamental differences in the operating environment for each carrier that may or may not cause it to be cost prohibitive to do what people want them to do.

I find it difficult to believe one can make a legitimate comparison between a Hong Kong based carrier and a US based one.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I just received a message from my girlfriend who told me that she was pulled from sitting in her business class seat on flight AA86 from O'Hare to Heathrow, and told to get off the plane. She was then told that the business class cabin was overbooked and she would be involuntarily downgraded to Economy. This was a SWU that was confirmed AND ticketed back in November.

What kind of recourse should I proceed with here?
Well, if you would post the original seat number and what 777 interior version she was flying; there used to be people on this board who were Sabre subscribers, They can at least tell you if she was bumped for a paying passenger or another upgrader. Which goes a long way towards determining just how frustrating the situation should be. But not nearly as much fun as pages of dueling speculation.
Marsh11 likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Dec 22, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by apeortdz
If you’re being “bumped” back to economy from your upgrade via a SWU, you are on the same flight unless you opt off. A solo traveler with a higher status or worse, a paid ticket, shouldn’t be downgraded so that you can travel with your companion. I, for one, hope AA doesn’t crank that into the algorithm.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:11 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, if there is going to be a potential problem (oversold J for example), don't board pax who you might "bump" to Y, until you know the flts. real status (probably at T-10).
yep. there's one option.
to quote my favorite celebrity chef, "how easy is that?"
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
OP, in this third-person report of what his GF said in her "message" (which leads me to believe that all of this is drawn from a text, voicemail, email not even an interchange between the two), says that the GF received a voucher. But, he's never provided the $ amount.

Given the OP's first person account of his phone call with his GF ....
My girlfriend called me up in tears before her first ....ing flight overseas and I am livid.
unless the OP mistaken those tears for tears of joy over a free ticket in J to New Zealand, one could assume that voucher did not match the market value the OP's GF placed on her first ever trip in J overseas booked well in advance overseas. Any customer focused airline would understand these sorts of things and have policies in place that manage to select a person willingly to give up a seat in exchange for compensation that the passenger agrees is suitable.

The issue is not whether AA followed its policies, in which nobody on here has a clue as to what it really is, but rather the action the airline chose to take in this situation.

This just reinforces the notion that any passenger shall remain seated in their seat specified on their successfully scanned boarding pass until the airline provides a satisfactory resolution to the situation regardless of whatever screw the customer provision in the CoC the airline may trumpet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.